Thread: Pharmacy notes update

Default Pharmacy notes update

For those of you who have a copy of the Pharmacy notes I created here is an update.

please replace #93 with the following:

93. Tinctura Opii et Camphorata Paregoric Elixir
    DESCRIPTION: Brownish-green liquid
    USE: antispasmodic, diarrhea, nausea
    LOOK-ALIKE: (1830 and before): green sugar crystals, freeze dried coffee, licorice flavoring, peppermint oil and water (after 1830): water, unsweetened ice tea with a small dollop of honey for the flavoring.
    Dose: One to two teaspoonfuls four times daily, or once every six hours (as needed).

Bethard, page 190:
    Paregoric, (1715 to date) also known as Camphorae composita tinctura, Tinctura opii benzoica, and Paregoricum elixir in British pharmacopioeas, was a camphorated opium tincture prepared by cold maceration of powdered opium (4.3 grams), anise oil (3.8 grams), benzoic acid (3.8 grams), and camphor (3.8 grams) for five days, occasionally shaking, in diluted alcohol, (nine hundred milliliters) and glycerin (thirty-eight milliliters). The resulting concoction was filtered and enough alcohol added to make the total volume 950 milliliters. Paregoric was (and still is) used for diarrhea, stomach cramps and coughs. The usual dose is one to two teaspoonfuls four times daily. Paregoric has a bittersweet, licorice-like odor and taste. In frontier times it was a popular sugartit additive for colic in babies. . .

Parrish, page 151-2:
    Camphorated Tincture of opium is made by dropping the opium as finely divided as its condition will admit of, and the benzoic acid, camphor, and oil of aniseed, into a suitable bottle , and pouring the diluted alcohol upon them; after standing for two weeks, with occasional agitation, the tincture is filtered and the honey is added to complete it. The chief use of paregoric is for children, to whom it is given in doses varying according to the age of the child from ten drops to a teaspoonful. The adult dose is stated on the table. [fʒj to f℥ss.]. It is used in mistura glycyrrhizae comp., and in other expectorant medicines.
    This tincture, in the Pharmacopoeia of 1830, was directed tobe made with a portion of extract of liquorice , which, as it gave it a dark color, resembling that of laudanum, was substituted in the last two editions by honey. It has a rich brown color, and a rather agreeable aromatic taste.

You could say paregoric was the “light beer” of laudanum, because the medicine strength did not pack the same medicinal anodyne punch laudanum did. Paregoric is still available as a DEA Schedule II controlled substance. See 71. Pilulę Opii for more information on the effects of the opium in paregoric.

Updated 9-25-08 nwb.
    --------------------------------------------
    Personally, I think the notes should be available to everyone, and everyone should be allowed to update them as needed. Harry Aycock is already working on adding the Confederate section for the medicines. All I ask is that you add your sources to the biblio, and sign your initials and the date at the bottom. Additionas and corrections can be posted here.

YOS,
    Noah Briggs
    Still looking for medical staff for After the Battle
    bluemasscat at yahoo.com
    Noah Briggs

SWEET!! Thanks for the update Noah . And, its good to see you again.
    I Remain, Your Obedient Servant,
    Jimmy "Doc" Nelson
    Moderator (well, sometimes . . hehehe )
    ** We have Rules here! **

Daylight Lodge # 760 F&AM
    Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels

In honor of my 3rd Great Grandfather: "John Daniel Nelson", Surgeon, 4th Georgia Infantry, CSA

Default Pharmacy Notes

THANKS, Noah! I'll update my file. For those who may be seeking the proper number for placement in Squibb's pannier, this tincture would be found in bottle#28.
    I remain as ever, your faithful & obedient servant,

Jon Austin

aka Benjamin Franklin Lyford, M.D.
    Drs. Chamberlain & Lyford, Principal Embalming Surgeons
    Washington City, D. C.

Adservio mortuus quidnam es non potens adservio ipsum

Traveling with while in the field:
    Mid-States Living History Association, Indianapolis, IN
    10th Illinois Cavalry Regiment, Springfield, IL
    The Society of Civil War Surgeons

Quote Originally Posted by NoahBriggs
    For those of you who have a copy of the Pharmacy notes I created here is an update.

YOS,
    Noah Briggs
    Still looking for medical staff for After the Battle
    bluemasscat at yahoo.com
    Maybe I missed it but how do I find the Pharmacy notes where the rest of the information would be?

Thanks.
    Virginia Mescher
    Visit us at www.raggedsoldier.com
    www.vintagevolumes.com

Virginia,
    Try this: click here (post # 32). This should be a start. It lists the 52 medicines in a U.S.Army Medicine Pannier. As to the remainder, you may want to contact Noah Briggs or, just search the Medical section of this forum.
    I Remain, Your Obedient Servant,
    Jimmy "Doc" Nelson
    Moderator (well, sometimes . . hehehe )
    ** We have Rules here! **

Daylight Lodge # 760 F&AM
    Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels

In honor of my 3rd Great Grandfather: "John Daniel Nelson", Surgeon, 4th Georgia Infantry, CSA

Default Duly Replaced

Thank you.
    Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Jas. Cox
    Civilian, but not always Civil
    53rd Indiana Vol. Inf. Co. I (for my Great, Great Grandfather Private William Haas)

Default Confederate Pharmacopœia

As Noah mentioned I am working on tooling his list to the Confederate Medical Department in Field Service. The drugs I am placing on this list are ones which are documented through medical invoices to have been issued to Confederate Medical officers serving ing the field in the Army of Northern Virginia. If the item is listed in regulations or manuals but not in a surviving invoice, I am not including it in my updates.

Also please note that the Confederate Medical Department seems to have been using the names for drugs used in the 1850 Pharmacopœia where the federal medical department seems to have been using the names for drugs used in the 1860 Pharmacopœia.

Here are a few I have added based on invoices and/or record books for Confederate Medical Officers serving in the field in the ANV. If these are in duplication to Noah's list, my appologies. Also, my version uses the apothcary symbols which don't work here so you will see a mix of apothecary symbols and common english words for measures.

Acidi Tartarici Tartaric Acid
    DESCRIPTION: Colorless crystals
    OPERATION or MEDICINAL EFFECTS: Refrigerant, antiseptic
    USE: In inflammatory effections, fevers and scorbutus
    LOOK-ALIKE: Tartaric Acid
    DOSE: Gr. x. to Dram ss. dissolved in water.

Hydrargyri cum Creta Mercury with Chalk
    DESCRIPTION: Gray powder
    OPERATION or MEDICINAL EFFECTS: Alternative, antisyphilitic
    USE: In porrigo, and other cutaneous affections; in venereal complaints its operation is so slow and weak as to merit no attention. An alternative in visceral diseases of children, especially in chronic diarrhea and cholera infantum
    LOOK-ALIKE: Gray chalk powder
    DOSE: Gr. v. to Dram ss. twice a day, and any viscid substance

Potassę Nitratis Nitrate of Potassa/Nitre
    DESCRIPTION: colorless, prismatic crystals
    OPERATION or MEDICINAL EFFECTS: Diuretic, refrigerant; in large doses purgative; externally cooling, detergent
    USE: In fevers, dropsies, herpetic eruptions, active hemorrhages, mania. A small piece allowed to dissolve slowly in the mouth often removes incipient cynanche tonsillaris; hence its utility in gargles
    LOOK-ALIKE: Potassium Nitrate
    DOSE: Gr. x. to Dram ss. In doses of Ounce j. its occasions hypercatharsis, bloody stools and sometimes death

Pulveris Aloes Powdered Aloe
    DESCRIPTION: dull brown or reddish brown powder
    OPERATION or MEDICINAL EFFECTS: Cathartic, warm and stimulating, emmenagogue, enthel mantic, stomachic; hurtful in hemorrhoids. Aloes acts chiefly on the large intestines and produces catharsis by increasing peristaltic or muscular action, and not by increasing the secretions. It usually sits well on the stomach, promotes appetite and digestion and is one of the most valuable articles of the Materia Medica.
    USE: n/a
    LOOK-ALIKE: Aloe powder
    DOSE: To act as a cathartic, gr. ij. to gr. x.; as an emmenagogue, gr. j. to gr. ij. twice or thrice a day. The form of a pill is the most convenient mode of exhibition, though the compound decoction is our favorite preparation.

Spiritus Lavandulae Comp Compound Spirit of Lavender
    DESCRIPTION:
    OPERATION or MEDICINAL EFFECTS: n/a
    USE: In fainting and chronic debility
    LOOK-ALIKE: Compound Spirit of Lavender
    DOSE: Minum xxx. to f Dram j.
    Harry Aycock

Medical Director Bee's Brigade - 150th First Manassas
    Medical Director Evans' Brigade - 150th Leesburg
    Medical Director Valley District - 150th McDowell
    Chief Surgeon of Division - 150th Seven Pines/Seven Days
    Chief Surgeon of Division - 150th Sharpsburg