PDA

View Full Version : Questions That Aren't Frequently Asked But Should Be

Sgt_Pepper
08-10-2008, 12:10 AM
This post will be added to as I think of more questions that people should be asking but don't. If you have something you want to add to the thread, please keep it topical.

Q: I posted a list of items for sale and used numerals and parentheses to list the items. Why does the beginning of line 8 look like an emoticon (smiley face)?
A: Because the numeral 8 followed by a close parentheses ) is interpreted by the vBulletin software as an emoticon, like this 8). Remember, a computer program doesn't know what you want it to do, it only knows what you tell it to do. You can avoid this in one of two ways: 1. Below the message window is a box marked Additional Options. Before posting, click on the box marked "Disable smilies in text" to check it and the emoticon will not appear. 2. Don't use a numeral 8 and a close parentheses; instead, use a numeral 8 and a period or colon.

Q: My spelling, grammar, syntax and semantic and typographic skills make people wonder if I've been drinking heavily or perhaps suffered a head injury. They complain and make fun of me. What should I do?
A: If you have the skills and wits to read and understand high school-level English, get a copy of The Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr and E.B. White. It is small, easy to use and has everything you need to write clearly. If you aren't capable of understanding the concepts in this excellent book, there's not much anyone can do for you except make sure you're fed regularly, learn how to use the toilet, have clean, warm clothing to wear and brush your teeth every day.

Q: How do those Quote thingys work?
A: Scroll down the page and find a small box on the left marked Posting Rules. Inside the box is something like:

You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts
-------------------------
vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

The first four items are self-explanatory. The next four items indicate what special posting features are turned on or off. Click on vB code and a new window will open onto a world of hitherto-undreamed-of knowledge.

As I said, more later.

thpritchett
08-10-2008, 12:42 AM
Why aren't my quotes being displayed in the quote boxes like they are supposed to be?

All quotes in boxes must be preceded by [ QUOTE ] (without the spaces) and followed by [ /QUOTE ] (without the spaces). Everything between them will be in a quote box like the one above. Usually, if you look at the botched quote, you will see that there is a missing bracket somewhere or that the backslash is missing in the end [/QUOTE]. If you immediately (or within 30 minutes of posting) hit the Edit button, you will be able to fix this problem.

(Your pardon, Tom, I had to edit this for clarity. - Sgt. Pepper)

To add to Tom's explanation, if you want to reply to a quoted post point by point, merely cut and paste the opening and closing quote commands to separate the sentences and paragraphs you wish to answer, and put your responses in between them. This is easier to see once you're in the editing phase. It's easier in Advanced mode because of the Quote button that looks like a cartoon speech bubble. Put your cursor on it and a pop-up should tell you what it does.