PDA

View Full Version : SCV Dedicates a New Large Confederate Flag

5 th Alabama Infantry
08-06-2008, 07:11 AM
http://www.stategazette.com/story/1450398.html

Pvt Schnapps
08-06-2008, 08:29 AM
This has got me curious. What was the largest battle flag used during the actual civil war?

sbl
08-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Flying from a mast or from a hand-staff?

Pvt Schnapps
08-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Well, there's another question. If it's a battle flag, was it ever appropriate to fly it from a mast rather than a staff? Wasn't it by its very nature intended to be carried into action? I wonder what would have been flown as a fortress flag.

sbl
08-06-2008, 10:31 AM
There's a photo of Ft. Sumter under the CSA with the Stars and Bars flying. You can get an idea of scale. The artist Conrad Wise Chapman did three paintings of the Charleston forts with the "Stainless Banner" flags flying. You can an idea of scale from figures in the pictures. They don't look as big as the "in-yer-face" flag in Florida.

Georgia Frame
08-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Why bother posting this...we have already discussed this issue.

Kevin Dally

jthlmnn
08-06-2008, 06:32 PM
My understanding has been that flags that were used on land were square. Those whose width was greater than their height were flown on ships, and called a "jack" (flown from the jackstaff). Those flown over forts...I have no idea.

Both the U.S. & Confederate governments issued regulations about flags for military usage. Might not have always been followed (Western Theater Confederate, for example), but they were issued.

Ross L. Lamoreaux
08-06-2008, 07:21 PM
My understanding has been that flags that were used on land were square. Those whose width was greater than their height were flown on ships, and called a "jack" (flown from the jackstaff). Those flown over forts...I have no idea.

Both the U.S. & Confederate governments issued regulations about flags for military usage. Might not have always been followed (Western Theater Confederate, for example), but they were issued.
This was not always true. For instance, many regimental battle flags of units in the Army of Tennessee were rectangular, including units from Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, and Kentucky. The average size for these flags hovers in the range of 42 inches on the hoist and 73 on the fly, making them rectangular. These varied from unit to unit, as some are slightly smaller and some are slightly larger, but the key was that they were in fact rectangular. (pages 28-37 "Flags of the Civil War" by Phillip Katcher, Osprey Military)

jthlmnn
08-08-2008, 02:45 PM
This was not always true. For instance, many regimental battle flags of units in the Army of Tennessee were rectangular, including units from Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, and Kentucky. The average size for these flags hovers in the range of 42 inches on the hoist and 73 on the fly, making them rectangular. These varied from unit to unit, as some are slightly smaller and some are slightly larger, but the key was that they were in fact rectangular. (pages 28-37 "Flags of the Civil War" by Phillip Katcher, Osprey Military)

It was those flags that I had in mind with my qualifying statement that government issued regulations, "weren't always followed." Nothing derogatory intended, just stating that variations existed. I did not recall exactly who had them, so "Thank you" for the examples. I also recall reading somewhere that the rectangular shape, at least in some cases, was the result of an error by the manufacturer or depot. I may be mis-remembering, or the info may have been faulty, and I stand ready to be corrected, if necessary.

Bloated_Corpse
08-08-2008, 10:06 PM
Hmmmm... thousands of battlefield that need preserving and the SCV is throwing good money away on a big flag. I am not in the least bit impressed with their silly antics.

Blockade Runner
08-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Hmmmm... thousands of battlefield that need preserving and the SCV is throwing good money away on a big flag. I am not in the least bit impressed with their silly antics.

Perhaps the SCV would be less inclined to "throw away good money" on flags, if the National Park Service was more amenable to permitting CSA flags to be displayed on battlefields that they control.;-)