PDA

View Full Version : Looking for local unit to join in va...

shenvalgrl
08-01-2008, 08:49 AM
I'm looking for a local unit in the culpeper virginia area to join. I'm a lady, do a civilian impression. I found a link for the 4th va cav, co. d - "little fork rangers" that is supposed to be local, but the link doesn't work! So if anyone knows of a good, family oriented unit near culpeper that would welcome civilians, I'd appreciate hearing about it!
Thanks! :smile:

southern_belle1861
08-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi!

You may want to try The Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society. They're a very nice bunch, have top notch impressions, and do some really great events. I believe some of their members live in the Northern Virginia area.
http://www.agsas.org/

mmescher
08-01-2008, 09:24 PM
My wife and I are both members of Atlantic Guard Soldier's Aid Society but the group is entirely civilian. If you are looking for a military group that welcomes civilians, I would invite you to consider our unit, the 42nd Virginia. A large number of our members are in Northern Virginia (Fairfax, Loudon, and Prince William Counties) so you may be looking for something closer to home. However, if you'd like to meet some of the members, we will be participating in Civil War comes to Sully the weekend of August 16 & 17.

It sounds like you are already a reenactor just arrived to the area and looking for a local unit. Is that a correct assumption?

BTW, what is the composition of your family? That might influence the match with a unit.

Michael Mescher

VaTrooper
08-06-2008, 02:07 AM
That website has been dead for 3-4 years but we're still up and running. Feel free to email or PM me.

Hardtack Herring
08-12-2008, 02:07 PM
The Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society is a very good group of people. Their dedication to research and authenticity is second to none.

I highly recommend checking them out.

I have worked with them before and was very impressed with their knowledge of the period.