PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Federal Unit in Purcellville Va.

6th Iowa Vol
07-31-2008, 08:01 PM
My brother-in-law was a spectator at 145th G-Burg. I showed him around
the camps and basic equipments. He now would like to find a Federal unit
in or near his hometown of Purcellville, Va and look into learning more and possibly joining up.

Can anyone give me some leads or contacts for him?

We would love to get him in our unit, but we're to far west for his travels.

Thanks for any assistance here.
GWP

mmescher
07-31-2008, 08:15 PM
One of my friends, Dave Welker, (who has authored a book on the Battle of Chantilly) is a member of 3rd US. They have a website if you google "3rd US Regulars" They will also be at Sully Plantation in Chantilly, Virginia, the weekend of August 16 & 17 if he'd like to meet them.

For that matter, our unit, the 42nd Virginia, will be on the opposing side at the same event if he'd like to see what it is like to wear the grey.

Michael Mescher

Capt3md
08-02-2008, 09:29 PM
The 3rd MD. Co. B operates out of the Tri State region around Hagerstown, Md. We are always open to new recruits that are eager to learn and Honor our Forefathers.
He can visit our website at www.thirdmd.com or contact me for more information. Take care and God Bless.

Respectfully,
Capt3MD

DaveyBoy
08-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Here in beautiful Purcellville VA we have Co A 5th VA / Co I 7th Wisc. We have plenty of loaner gear of both sides if your brother-in-law wants to get his feet wet.

My e-mail is: joyzebouy@aol.com

Dave Tucker
Purcellville, VA

Bill Reighard
08-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Your brother-in-law might want to check out the 100th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry (Roundhead Regiment). Our captain and several unit members live in the Winchester, VA area. The unit is part of the U.S. Volunteers reenacting battalion and has a nice mix of new recruits and seasoned veterans. Let me know if you would like some information on this unit.

Bill Reighard
100th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, Company A
breighard@comcast.net

Pvt Schnapps
08-04-2008, 03:01 PM
And then there's us, the Brady Sharpshooters (Co. 'BSS', 16th Michigan). We're located throughout the DC metropolitan area, with folks from Stafford Virginia to the Frederick Maryland area and most points in between. We have members near him, in Leesburg and Point of Rocks.

We're a small outfit (perhaps a dozen active members) and pretty much cover the spectrum of authenticity in the hobby. You'll find Brady's at many of what some call the "better" events, as well as in strength (such as it is) at what some would consider equally fine events like Cedar Creek.

In addition to portraying line infantry we have a specialty impression as sharpshooters, and individual members have a range of other areas of interest including field music, staff support, and clerking.

It's a pretty congenial group: http://www.bradyssharpshooters.org/

We'll be at Sully, too, along with the 3rd US, which is a very fine company. Another great company in the area -- perhaps the largest and most prominent -- is the 28th Massachusetts, Company B.

There's a lot to choose from and we'd all be happy to see a new member in the hobby.

6th Iowa Vol
08-09-2008, 07:32 AM
Thank you for the replies, I have forwarded on the info and I hope one of you may be get a new member for your ranks
Thanks
GWP

JLynes
08-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Another great company in the area -- perhaps the largest and most prominent -- is the 28th Massachusetts, Company B.

There's a lot to choose from and we'd all be happy to see a new member in the hobby.

Why very kind of you to say so Sir Schnapps; obliged for your kindness....and keen eye. Next time you soldier with us, I will see to it that you'll neither tote, bale, carry, or toil on fatigue duties...assuming of course your paperwork is in order. :)

For the Gentleman in Purcellville, we in the 28th Mass, Co B too throw open our doors in welcome...to us if desired, and to the hobby writ large. Schnapps' general welcome to the hobby is echoed warmly. (This is not the same as a general absolution of course, but absent our own Brigade's Father Corby, not too bad.)

If the Gentlemen's interests include the Irish Brigade, he is invited to check us out at www.28thmasscob.org. The other local groups mentioned in the previous posts are of course, perfectly fine choices. We soldier quite frequently with our comrades in Brady's.

Y.O.S.,

Jerry Lynes
1st Sergt, Co B
Fredericksburg, VA

Regular3
08-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Thank you for the replies, I have forwarded on the info and I hope one of you may be get a new member for your ranks
Thanks
GWPAny update? Several visitors gave us their contact information at Sully, and I wonder whether your brother-in-law might have been among them.