PDA

View Full Version : Apothecary Museum in Alexandria, VA

mmartin4600
07-31-2008, 02:57 PM
I am in no way affiliated with the museum, but on a recent layover in DC, I wandered into the Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum (http://www.apothecarymuseum.org/)in Alexandria. I was so impressed that I wanted to share with you in case you ever find yourself in the neighborhood.

From the flyer. "The Apothecary Shop was a family business founded in 1792 by Edward Stabler which operated in this location from 1796 until 1933." According to the local Historian, Julie, the owners locked the door in 1933 and walked away. Two years later it was bought by the City and opened as a Museum. This is a moment in time. Shelves upon shelves of medicinal ingredients in their original glass bottles. Pill tiles, pill rollers, and scales, oh my! Upstairs in the workshop there are large wood and cardboard cabinets full of bulk ingredients. There was a wood crate in the corner filled with glass bottles packed in newspaper from the 1890's! According to the Alexandria Historical Society, Robert E. Lee heard of Virginia's secession while standing in Stabler-Leadbeater. They even have a letter from Martha Washington requesting Castor oil. I have never seen a letter from Martha Washington. (She had very nice penmanship).

Anyway, enough gushing. The longer I study mid 19th century medicine, the more fascinated I become. If you have a similar interest, (and I know you do), you will definitely want to stop by and visit the next time your in Alexandria.

Michael