PDA

View Full Version : Hope all is well in VA, MD, and PA

cblodg
06-29-2006, 08:40 PM
With all the rain, I hope that all is well. We here in NH have had our fare share of rain this year, and know how bad it can get. Nothing can compare to Katrina, but any flooding in areas that don't normally get it, can spell disaster for hundreds of families.

We are thinking of you.

Chris

Gary
06-29-2006, 08:47 PM
Best wishes to all our comrades out there in the flooded east. I was shocked to learn that the National Archives had 4 feet of water in their basement (thankfully the records are safe).

bill watson
06-29-2006, 09:02 PM
We've had four houses go down so far, and the town of Portland, Pa., has been hit hard for the third time in two years, to the point where some of those people are just going to say whoever dreamed up the 100-year flood concept didn't have to deal with rampant, unchecked growth that paves over huge amounts of area where the rain used to soak into the earth. I talked to one store owner there who is ready to just walk away rather than try to refinance and rebuild a third time.

www.poconorecord.com for tons of details and a photo gallery that's a corker.

We've also had several incidents where people who thought the whole thing was some kind of television show had to be pulled out of some 35 mph water when the banks collapsed under them. One is gone and presumed drowned. To a certain extent they are foolish, on the other hand this flooding has provided scenes and experiences I've never seen or had before, and I can understand the desire to absorb it all. You really can't appreciate the power of an out-of-control stream until you're standing on a sturdy steel and concrete bridge going over it and you can feel the bridge vibrating under your feet while simultaneously being deafened by its roaring. I watched a log come over what used to be a dam, get hurled into that bridge and shatter into toothpicks. Just amazing.

cblodg
06-29-2006, 09:22 PM
www.poconorecord.com for tons of details and a photo gallery that's a corker.

those pictures are amazing, and hit too close to home.

Again I hope all is well;

Chris

dedogtent
06-29-2006, 09:32 PM
We got pretty well beat up here in Delaware. I was at Gilmor's Raid on Saturday which is a nice little event in Harford Co. Maryland when the storm started. Twenty of us took shelter in a small wood tobacco building after pulling pork from the nice pig roast they had. In ten minutes the roof was leaking so bad, you had no where to stand to stay dry. It rained so hard for at least an hour and with the close lightning we just stayed put. I watched a nice rolling stream called the Gun Powder turn into an ugly raging river. When the rain finally slowed for a bit we headed back to camp and I will never forget what I saw. It looked like we set up Federal camp in the middle of a pond.....was unreal. The 2nd Delaware did get out of there safely but my gear will take some time to heal. I hope everyone is alright down there as they also got big rain for days...

TeamsterPhil
06-29-2006, 09:47 PM
Is Pea Patch Island under water? I have a few fond memories of the old pile'o'bricks there.

Phil

VaTrooper
06-29-2006, 09:50 PM
John,
I was there as well and it was something else. Late Late saturday after taking a walk to a haunted bridge we found a lost Delaware girl whos dad had went home without telling her. She was all upset, must have been a quiet ride home. Hope she wasnt your kid.

Frenchie
06-29-2006, 09:56 PM
We're lucky here in Dundalk, MD, with Bear Creek just a few dozen yards away and draining into Patapsco Neck and Chesapeake Bay. Never lost power and the basement's as dry as ever. I guess if a storm surge came straight up the Bay we'd have some trouble, but for now we're thankful and praying for all those who need it.

tompritchett
06-29-2006, 11:28 PM
Parts of downdown Easton are flooded. Even though I am high enough that it would take a flood of biblical porportions to reach me, I still had standing water in my basement because the ground was so saturated. From I-80 to Philly almost all the bridges over the Delaware have been closed and may not open for at least a week until the water drops enough for engineers to inspect them for damage from water borne debris.

For a while, there was only one road off College Hill and out of Forks behind us that was still open. Even Sullivan Trail from Easton to Stockertown was flooded out for a while. Needless to say that one road was packed all day with traffic. Thank heavens there were no emergencies that required someone to get to the hospital with the tens of thousands of residents served by this one road. They most likely would have had to medivac the person out because of the traffic snarls.

Three of five worst floods recorded in Easton's entire history have now occurred in less than three years. For us at least there is no such thing as 100 year floods. It seems that they are now almost every year. But then this is what happens when we decide to start experimenting with our climate before we can accurately predict the effects.

dedogtent
06-30-2006, 10:50 AM
John,
I was there as well and it was something else. Late Late saturday after taking a walk to a haunted bridge we found a lost Delaware girl whos dad had went home without telling her. She was all upset, must have been a quiet ride home. Hope she wasnt your kid.

William, I can't imagine someone leaving their child behind and my kids are grown. We only had a couple of young ones and I saw them leave with their folks. I wonder who this was? I will try to find out more information...thanks.

MDConfederate
06-30-2006, 11:26 AM
All is well here in Elkton, MD. We had the usually flooding when it rains a lot, but I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Bridge Street and Meadow Park along the Elk River always seem to have problems, so nothing new. It seems that places farther south on the Delmarva Peninsula got hit hard like Seaford, DE and Federalsburg, MD.

I was at Gimor's Raid camped along the Gun Powder River. All my stuff got soaked but it survived. We stayed the night and went out to the haunted bridge. Perhaps the "Delaware girl" was one of the phantoms that roams the area. For an event that turned very wet, I had a good time.

John A. Wyman

cookiemom
06-30-2006, 12:03 PM
We attended Gilmor's Raid, too, and had a great time, but left before the storm started. The last part of the trip home was like being in the car wash.

Our house is halfway up a hill, and we get the runoff from five houses farther uphill from us. The outside basement stairwell and retaining wall looked like a waterfall. The drain at the bottom couldn't handle it all, and the water that came in under the basement door actually had "current" to it. Thank goodness for floor drains and sump pumps. Half the basement was very wet, but no standing water.

Carole

frankstevanus
06-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Hey Carol:
Thanks for coming again. You bugged out at just the right time. After you left it started pouring and didn't stop unitl I left for Shippensburg the next day. That whole Jerusalem Mills is built in a flood plain area and man can it get wet there. Great riding, though. I did some riding up there yesterday and you can barely see the signs of the flooding.
Frank Stevanus

VaTrooper
06-30-2006, 01:18 PM
William, I can't imagine someone leaving their child behind and my kids are grown. We only had a couple of young ones and I saw them leave with their folks. I wonder who this was? I will try to find out more information...thanks.

Well she wasnt really a "kid" like 17ish. She said she had set up camp with them Friday but had to go home for work Saturday. The catch is nobody bothered to call and tell her they were packing up Saturday because the rain and by about 1am when I found her she was pretty well upset. Luckily Charles Kibler came to the rescue.

dedogtent
06-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Well she wasnt really a "kid" like 17ish. She said she had set up camp with them Friday but had to go home for work Saturday. The catch is nobody bothered to call and tell her they were packing up Saturday because the rain and by about 1am when I found her she was pretty well upset. Luckily Charles Kibler came to the rescue.

Bingo, I know just who that is. I can't believe her father didn't call her to let her know we were gittin out of Dodge. Thanks to Charlie for looking after her. I guess some of the 'Crazy Delawares' take the name too serious. Thanks again William for the info. I can't wait to hear this story in the next camp.

Chuck A Luck
07-03-2006, 09:55 AM
Bingo, I know just who that is. I can't believe her father didn't call her to let her know we were gittin out of Dodge. Thanks to Charlie for looking after her.

I'm very glad to hear that she is (evidently) OK and back at home. Like Wm. said, we found her in the parking lot around midnight, quite distraught. Fish, the 4th Va's 1st Sgt., was actually the main feller that seemed to come to the rescue. IIRC, we talked on a cellphone to a parent or such. Evidently, she'd come there from work (or a friend's?) late that evening simply expecting to find the camp ...but by then everyone had pulled up stakes and departed. I think in all the hubbub, her parents had simply forgotten to let her know they'd left -- or perhaps they didn't even know she was coming by. I just hope she arrived home safely and no one got in too much trouble.

VaTrooper
07-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Fish, the 4th Va's 1st Sgt., was actually the main feller that seemed to come to the rescue.

LOL, Jack Daniels either makes you a hero or an a$$hole. He was both that night. What freakin ghost?

reb64
07-03-2006, 05:03 PM
I call it southern chivalry, which seems to be lacking in delaware. Self preservation affects us all differently according to our values.

VaTrooper
07-03-2006, 05:12 PM
I think all them Delaware boys had Nick Sekela "tread on me socks" on too. LOL

dedogtent
07-03-2006, 09:49 PM
I call it southern chivalry, which seems to be lacking in delaware. Self preservation affects us all differently according to our values.

I am from northern Delaware, my kids are grown and I lack many values....lol...just kidding. The family in question is from southern Delaware and has great family values. The girl was there Friday night and left Saturday morning for her job in Dover, De. saying she would be returning after work. I know there was great chaos breaking down camp in that storm. I think a couple of cell phone calls could have avoided this unpleasant situation. Not sure why that didn't happen.

And by the way William, my socks are from Chris Daley and say,"See ya again next year".

I thought Gilmor's Raid was a nice little event and if we can get Sunday in next year it will even better...thanks Charlie for the effort.

VaTrooper
07-03-2006, 09:56 PM
The improvement over the last couple seasons is amazing. 4 horses....8 horses.....and this year 25+. Great stuff.