PDA

View Full Version : Take me to your leader.

PonyExpress
02-15-2006, 03:06 AM
If an extraterrestrial alien landed in your authentic CW campsite and made the classic demand "Take me to your leader!" quote, where would you take him? Anywhere? Who are the leaders of the hobby? Who are the aliens?

I had to add extraterrestrial because some of you would have thought "Mexican", I couldn't use "ET" either.

frankstevanus
02-15-2006, 10:05 AM
I think someone has been watching a little too much late night T.V. ! That, or a few too many beers before writing this! :D
Frank Stevanus
1st Maryland Cavalry (the guy with the horse)

Scooby_308
02-15-2006, 11:05 AM
I think what Mr. Deese is saying is, who are the leaders in the hobby? Who would you consider the leading person(s) in, say, authentic civilian reenacting? Or who is the directing force in the progressive side of the hobby?

I think Mr. Deese is looking for opinions on who you think are the leaders if you had to choose. Not who is leading the Ky Rifles Co Z at the local reenactment, but who is leading the hobby as a whole.

Forquer
02-15-2006, 12:15 PM
Piece of cake. It's a simple chain of command issue. The biggest problem is, just how did the alien get past my pickets and guards without being stopped? Heads are gonna roll.

It's purely hypothetical, however, since, assuming that the extraterrestrial is an intelligent life form, they would even bother making contact with the likes of us. I know that if I was in their position, I certainly would not! :P

7thMDYankee
02-15-2006, 12:37 PM
Everyone ought to assume the responsibility of leadership in the hobby. Leading the effort to improve impressions, events, scenarios, kits (both what we wear and do), etc...

ilfed104
02-15-2006, 02:40 PM
I've seen threads that were a waste of bandwidth but this one takes the cake. Deese, you've got waaaaay to much time on your hands. :roll:

MStuart
02-15-2006, 02:53 PM
"The Day The Earth Stood Still" was on this past week-end, so I assume that's what initiated this thread. Substitute reenactor politics for the world politics in that flick.......life imitates art once again. You can't get more than 3 reenators to agree on who makes the best RDII..........

Mark

PonyExpress
02-15-2006, 05:14 PM
Don't look for leaders to take you through the hobby. The answer is simple, you are the leader. Either in your personal life or whenever you represent your mess, unit or the soldiers of the War. You also have to follow before you can lead.

There are some great leadership examples from the war, both North and South, officer, enlisted and citizen. They should be the leaders we study. They actually lived the war. We just reenact.

Greg Deese

sbl
02-16-2006, 07:33 AM
Maybe Klaatu and Gort would reduce our planet "to a burned out cinder" if we weren't authentic.

"Gort, Klaatu barada nikto"

Spinster
02-16-2006, 08:02 PM
Alrighty Mr. Deese, I'll bite. I know you're actually serious on this, and want to get some useable information

And I do it, knowing full well that I'm gonna take off for the year 1740 in the morning, oblivious to any chaos in my wake, cause there will most certainly be some folks who are at a loss to name their own leaders, and will therefore pick at the choices of others. It IS cranky season, after all.

Two folks:

(1)Malinda Taylor, of Pickens County, Alabama. Some 20 years younger at the start of the war than my current age, marginally educated, with a sack full of children and more on the way, running not only her farm, but that of an elderly relative, and frantically trying to buy a substitute to get her husband home.

In October, 1863, she writes "I have put the children's winter clothes on the loom today". Plain simple statement of fact--one that does not let you know that she's due to deliver another child shortly, or what hard physical work weaving is, or that she'll then hand sew those clothes, as well as some items she sends to her husband.

She's the 'leader' more than any other, that 'informs' my base line impression. She gets the work done, provides for her own, and gets more fiesty as the war goes on--learns to stand up for herself. And goes on to lead a long life after the war, establishing a new life in a Western Territory, when common wisdom said she and her husband were 'too old' to go.

(2). Mike Moore, current commander of the recently reorganized First Confederate Division, now Army of Tennessee. He 'gets it' when it comes to civilian reenacting, doesn't treat us as an inconvience, and gives us opportunites to play--and in a manner in keeping with accurately portraying the vast majority of the rural population of the south.

He doesn't expect me to be "Scarlette", and knows that teas and balls are not the be all and end all of civilian reenacting. And anytime I pitch some idea, I know the first thing he is gonna ask me is "Show me your documentation please". And, giving credit where credit is due, the commander of the immediate military umbrella in which our civilian organization holds membership--Bill Rambo gets thumbs up too, for introducing us to Mike (probably because we'd driven Bill nuts :wink: )

Kind Regards,
Terre Lawson
Winston Free-State/First Confederate Legion