PDA

View Full Version : 49th OVI Flag preservation opportunity

Thad Gallagher
07-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Some news for Buckeyes, particularly those who have ever been around the 49th. Richard Mann, has just finished writing a history about the 49th OVI. There was never one written after the war. He and Mark Holbrook, from the 49th and a manager at the Ohio Historical Society, have recently received word that a publisher is going to take it on and publish it. They are tentatively looking toward the Spring of '09 before it gets out in print. With that, we are looking to put together a living history event in Tiffin, Ohio (where the 49th was formed) in conjunction with the book's release. Proceeds from the book will go toward flag preservation and the OHS fight for the flag foundation. Mark has told me that it would most likely go toward one of the 49th's flags, depending on restoration cost and if it is even possible due to their conditions. We are looking to form a 100 man company for a weekend to be named later, possibly in June of '09. I will keep updates coming as I get the information. We would love to see as many Buckeyes come out as possible and support the book and Ohio battle flag preservation.

Here is info on the fight for the flags campaign: http://ohsweb.ohiohistory.org/exhibits/fftc/

Crabby
07-23-2008, 08:02 PM
Thad,

Look into a possible state matching fund for the flag effort. The 6th, quite a few years ago were able to get their national colors done. We raised about $15,000.00 and the state matched it to make the effort possible. It is a cool experience.

Crabby

Thad Gallagher
07-23-2008, 08:37 PM
I will pass that info on. Thanks a lot. See you at Duffield.

TheColorBearer
08-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Count me in, I am out of Delphos just south of Tiffin. Is this going to be in conjunction with the Living History event up there? I attended that event a while back and it was a good time.