PDA

View Full Version : New Brigade Forming

Regimental_Officer
07-19-2008, 05:45 PM
ATTENTION ALL INDEPENDANT UNITS

A new brigade is forming and we are looking for units that are not affiliated with any organizations. At Gettysburg there was a provisional brigade that was made up of units not affiliated with any organizations and we have decided instead of breaking up that we will remain together. All branches of service are welcome and any unit any size are wanted. We will be offering insurance for your group as well. We have about 10 units that are already committed and a few more that are deciding to do so. If you want to join a brigade and help build it from the ground up this is your opportunity to do so.
PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND IN THIS POST
SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE FOR THE DETAILS

You may also contact me at my email regimental_officer@yahoo.com

Regimental_Officer
07-19-2008, 10:13 PM
((((((((bump))))))))

Memphis
07-20-2008, 03:49 AM
A brigade of "independants" conjures up visions of thousands of men in the ranks, but "10 units" in the normal configuration of a couple or three "units" per line company invites a three to four company organization more along the lines of a battalion or approximately one half thereof. Just how top heavy is this new organization going to be? Also, will this new brigade be doing anything different or just the same old stuff over and over again?

Just asking.

OVI
07-20-2008, 08:41 AM
Is this new organization going to be a military battalion (i.e. an association of local units) or a family camping friendly club? I know the latter style of mainstream is more prevelant in the East.

Kent Dorr - Ohio
"Devils Own Mess"

Duff
07-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Interesting. I look foward to seeing how you perform in the field.

Regimental_Officer
07-20-2008, 01:38 PM
To answer the questions that some of you have asked i will answer them here. This was not something that i have planned this was something that was brought up to me by the units at the 140th Gettysburg. I'm sure i'm going to see things about rank this and rank that and other blah blah negative things but i'm doing what was asked of me not something i conjured up in my head. Many of these units that have committed have been in other organizations before and for whatever reasons left. What we are trying to do is build a organization that is fun and friendly to all types of reenactors either mainstreamers or authentic campaigners. At first i did not know how to take this but after fighting with the guys at gettysburg a bond formed and i would like to stay with the guys as well. Instead of posting negative threads about this why not post threads that are positive and show some encouragement? Other organizations started out this way and some flourished and some faultered but at least we are giving it a shot. I feel starting out with what we have now is not bad and pray be if this other organization joins then we will have good numbers. Those in this forum that truly know me knows that i do not have thin skin and those who know me knows i will not back down from what is right. I'm doing what these men want to do and what we have to offer is a voice to make the changes they deserve and to offer insurance when none was ever given. I'm sure there is going to be some bad apples posting negative things and we all knew that when i said i would begin recruiting, However i was more optimistic and thought maybe they will support us and help because it is their hobby too. I'm not going to sit here on the soap box and preach i think those of you that know what it takes to build a organization knows it is not easy and when you have people saying negative things and not supporting you it makes it a little harder. I told the men i'm in this for the long haul and i will do what it takes to be successful. If you do not have anything nice to say please keep your comments to yourself and not spoil it for those who are trying to make a difference. To those who sent me emails offering encouragment i thank you very much and you support means alot.

hiplainsyank
07-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Matt, I don't think that there was perhaps as much criticism as interpreted in the previous quotes.

To the others, my understanding is that this is an organization to provide a home for units at the eastern national-style events, without some of the politics and requirements of some of the others, such as requirements to serve under other commanders, be on probation, mandatory annual attendance, etc.

At GAC there were company streets with family friendly looks and campaigner/military only looks, but I think that it was a good experience and that perhaps the was some learning done on what a more military-oriented camp could look like.

No matter whether a unit is interested or not in joining, many on the Federal side know that it would be helpful to have a regular umbella group for groups to affiliate with at eastern nationals.

Regimental_Officer
07-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Matt, I don't think that there was perhaps as much criticism as interpreted in the previous quotes.

To the others, my understanding is that this is an organization to provide a home for units at the eastern national-style events, without some of the politics and requirements of some of the others, such as requirements to serve under other commanders, be on probation, mandatory annual attendance, etc.

At GAC there were company streets with family friendly looks and campaigner/military only looks, but I think that it was a good experience and that perhaps the was some learning done on what a more military-oriented camp could look like.

No matter whether a unit is interested or not in joining, many on the Federal side know that it would be helpful to have a regular umbella group for groups to affiliate with at eastern nationals.

We have not decided on any umbrella groups as of yet. We are still in the building stages. Once we solidify then we as a group can see what our options are. We all know what we want and we all know what to look for so our choices will not be hard when the time comes. I have no doubt in my mind that this will work we have a bunch of great guys willing to go the distance and i'm willing to follow where ever they want to go.

OVI
07-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Matthew...as a friendly piece of advice, in order not to create the wrong impression of the organization you are forming, you may wish to consider not calling yourself a brigade until you can field at least 2 battalions (probably a bare minimum of 100 rifles per battalion). Calling yourself a brigade, when only fielding a battalion makes folks think you are looking for higher rank, especially if you wear more than a Colonels strap. A brigade is a worthy goal to be built from the bottom up, not the top down.
Also, build an elected staff from your units with an good Adjutant and QM.
Good luck.

Kent Dorr - Ohio
"Devils Own Mess"

Regimental_Officer
07-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Matthew...as a friendly piece of advice, in order not to create the wrong impression of the organization you are forming, you may wish to consider not calling yourself a brigade until you can field at least 2 battalions (probably a bare minimum of 100 rifles per battalion). Calling yourself a brigade, when only fielding a battalion makes folks think you are looking for higher rank, especially if you wear more than a Colonels strap. A brigade is a worthy goal to be built from the bottom up, not the top down.
Good luck.

Kent Dorr - Ohio
"Devils Own Mess"

At this time we have about 125 men committed. We have another group the is expressing to join that can field twice that and then some. I cannot divulge the name until they have committed to join. 25% of that group has joined and we are waiting for the others to follow. We have units in the east and in the west and we are looking to form 2 regiments made of those units in the east and west. Rank has nothing to do with it. I'm focused on building the group then anything this will not be a dictatorship the officers will be elected by their peers as it was done during the war between the states. Like i said before and i will echo it again this was not my decision to do this it was that of the units who expressed interest. We have artillery already on board with a possible unit with 2 guns and another has expressed interest. To me the interest is there and i feel before long we will have what we are looking for. I have no problem changing straps on my sack coat i been doing it for years this is not a power struggle or a ego trip but it is E Pluribus Unum "Out of many, One and thats what we are trying to achieve nothing more nothing less!!!!

Regimental_Officer
07-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Interesting. I look foward to seeing how you perform in the field.

I think Gettysburg was a preveiw of what it will be like because 3/4 of the units are staying.

RJSamp
07-20-2008, 08:45 PM
Good luck.

Kent Dorr - Ohio
"Devils Own Mess"

Oh stop it already (and Rog also).... did you both personally email Dom Dal Bello and his ARMY of the Pacific (AOP) and tell him that it should be about 50,000 strong......

or have you emailed the several thousand reenacting units that bill themselves as this or that regiment....may attach a Company letter to it.....and let them know that if they don't have 50+ dues paying members they should call themselves a squad or whatever......

"Companies and Battalions were NOT built from Messes during the ACW" - Mess.

OVI
07-20-2008, 09:05 PM
Actually RJ (nice to meet you at AHT BTW)... I do think all organizations should be what they label themselves. Why perpetuate the lie? Is the 1st Fed Div a division? No. Is my own Army of the Ohio an Army? No.
Why not pick a name like the Mifflin or Cumberland Guard or the USVs and then no one can get the wrong idea.
My point was to steer Matthew away from the pitfall of creating a paper "brigade" of 100 rifles and then become top-heavy with brigade staffers.

Kent Dorr - Ohio
"Truth in Advertising Mess"

skamikaze
07-21-2008, 12:00 AM
I think Gettysburg was a preveiw of what it will be like because 3/4 of the units are staying.

So you're going to let guys wear havelocks to a '63 event?

Regimental_Officer
07-21-2008, 03:45 AM
So you're going to let guys wear havelocks to a '63 event?

No more then your guys wearing the wrong fezzes!!! more so who said that havelocks were not used past 61? I think before you comment think before you post. there has been several cases of men who wore them after 61 that were homespun!!! more prevalent in zouave units and as a person portraying a zouave should have known that. and again was your behavior period correct at Gettysburg 145th judging by the comments made by some i think it not. So before you judge any of my guys take a hard look at yourself because i could pick you apart far worse my friend

skamikaze
07-21-2008, 09:56 AM
So before you judge any of my guys take a hard look at yourself because i could pick you apart far worse my friend

I'm not your friend, guy.

Anders
07-21-2008, 11:15 AM
That is why we are the Chesapeake Volunteer Guard- we adapt our impressions according to the event.

3rd_PA_Artillery
07-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Hey, good luck with your brigade, hope it turns out well. If I ever leave my battery, I'll join up with your boys.

Swag
07-21-2008, 02:06 PM
Hey there spoonie, just a thought about havelocks...
here is an exert form a paper I wrote a few months ago.

Women made clothing, bandages, and ammunition for the men on the front, placing their female sexuality aside and using it to become mother to all soldiers. One example is the mass production of ‘Havelock’s’ in the beginning of the war, which were used to keep the sun off the wearers neck on searing summer days. They were turned out by the thousands, and as one woman stated, “In all patterns and sizes, and every conceivable material.” But when women were finally able to visit the army camps they noticed that the havelock’s were being used for everything from bandages to night caps. As fast as production had started, that is as fast as it came to a halt. From this point forward women began to learn the errors they committed, and began producing goods at factory like efficiency. One woman stated that, “the amount of work we have accomplished is a wonder to ourselves, to say nothing of the world.”1

1. Ina Chang, A Separate Battle: Women and the Civil War. (New York: the Penguin Group, 1991), 20

Regimental_Officer
07-21-2008, 02:12 PM
I'm not your friend, guy.

This is not the time nor the place to discuss what feelings you may have for me or not and certainly not a place to bash any of my people or anyone from the forum for that matter. It goes to show your maturity level. This thread is for units looking to join a brigade not personal attacks on me. If you want to discuss your opinions then send me a private message and i will gladly share with you my thoughts. For those who are reading this thread i will apologize for this ignorance!!!!

Pvt Schnapps
07-21-2008, 02:42 PM
No more then your guys wearing the wrong fezzes!!! more so who said that havelocks were not used past 61? I think before you comment think before you post. there has been several cases of men who wore them after 61 that were homespun!!! more prevalent in zouave units and as a person portraying a zouave should have known that. and again was your behavior period correct at Gettysburg 145th judging by the comments made by some i think it not. So before you judge any of my guys take a hard look at yourself because i could pick you apart far worse my friend

Just two points.

First, Eric and a couple of his actual friends had the most period correct behavior of anyone at GAC. They walked there from Virginia.

Second, it's spelled "independent."

Apart from that, I'm sure your new outfit will do just fine at the events it chooses to attend. Good luck, and enjoy.

Regimental_Officer
07-21-2008, 03:23 PM
Just two points.

First, Eric and a couple of his actual friends had the most period correct behavior of anyone at GAC. They walked there from Virginia.

Second, it's spelled "independent."

Apart from that, I'm sure your new outfit will do just fine at the events it chooses to attend. Good luck, and enjoy.

Wait! just because one walks from Virginia to Gettysburg makes one period correct? Well if i had the time and no job maybe i would have been able to do that so i can be period correct. Thank you for the good luck!!!!

Anders
07-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Seems a great way to make friends and influence others.

:)

Robert A Mosher
07-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Wait! just because one walks from Virginia to Gettysburg makes one period correct? Well if i had the time and no job maybe i would have been able to do that so i can be period correct.

Well since most of the other marchers do have jobs I look forward to seeing the post card you send to Forum when you get to Gettysburg!!

Robert A. Mosher

Pvt Schnapps
07-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Wait! just because one walks from Virginia to Gettysburg makes one period correct? Well if i had the time and no job maybe i would have been able to do that so i can be period correct. Thank you for the good luck!!!!

And the first person "I" is generally capitalized.

Your profile on this board says you're a "Chief of Staff" with Vincent's Brigade. Do you really portray an AAG? Don't you know those guys were expected to be fairly proficient in their written communications?

And, come to think of it, darn few would make light of someone who marched 37 miles in 17 hours to get to Little Round Top.

I wouldn't say anything either way about your new organization, but I'm beginning to suspect you'll need more than good luck.

bill watson
07-21-2008, 05:57 PM
And, of course, some folks think it worth taking time off from work to walk from Virginia ....

Footnote to the doings:

The 142nd PVI, a relatively small unit of both mainstream and campaign folks, "formerly of Vincent's," voted this weekend to unaffiliate itself with everyone. Looks like we'll all stay together for local events and whatnot, and perhaps clusters of varying size will find their way to different kinds of events outside our geography, depending on each individual's preferences. There is an expectation that some fellows (including me once in awhile) will fall in with the 97th PVI, which was Vincent's last time I checked, where there are a variety of reasons to fall in, including wonderful hearty food and whatnot; and some fellows (including me) will fall in with the 14th NJVI or some comparable Third Battalion USV unit for a variety of good reasons at events where army rations, shelter halves, functioning by the bugle and whatnot are the expected norm. If, of course, they'll all have us, which so far has not been a problem in, literally, either camp.

Yet another way to arrange things.

4thalabamacav
07-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Sir, I admire what you are doing, encourage it and wish you all the luck and sucess in the world. I have been working on building a company for 2 years now and know its not easy. An older gentelman Reenactor I met once at an event told me to never give up cause it takes time. So I salute you and the units with you. Maybe we will see you across the field.
1st Sgt Matt Hall
B Troop 4th Alabama Cavalry BN (Love's BN)

Regimental_Officer
07-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Sir, I admire what you are doing, encourage it and wish you all the luck and success in the world. I have been working on building a company for 2 years now and know its not easy. An older gentelman Reenactor I met once at an event told me to never give up cause it takes time. So I salute you and the units with you. Maybe we will see you across the field.
1st Sgt Matt Hall
B Troop 4th Alabama Cavalry BN (Love's BN)

Matt,
Thank you for the kind words of encouragement. It is a work in progress but i think it will come together in the end. Your friend is correct when he said never give up because it is not easy. What makes it harder is when you get the negative comments from those who should be supporting the growth of this hobby. Like that saying says "You can't make everyone happy" Good luck with your endeavors as well.

Regimental_Officer
07-21-2008, 09:56 PM
And the first person "I" is generally capitalized.

Your profile on this board says you're a "Chief of Staff" with Vincent's Brigade. Do you really portray an AAG? Don't you know those guys were expected to be fairly proficient in their written communications?

And, come to think of it, darn few would make light of someone who marched 37 miles in 17 hours to get to Little Round Top.

I wouldn't say anything either way about your new organization, but I'm beginning to suspect you'll need more than good luck.

Are you serious? Now your picking on my spelling!! Jeez i highly doubt that you are typo free. This thread is not about myself but the forming of a group. What is wrong with that? I see all this negativity but no support!!! It is a wonder people feel the hobby is dying it's because nobody gives a darn about helping it make it better they rather have personal attacks in a forum. It's funny that none of this started sooner but rather after i made this post. Everyone who has spoken in a negative manner does not know that this was not my choice but a choice of others with a common goal. Are we not adults? then quit with the negative remarks and keep your comments to yourselves.

Micah Trent
07-21-2008, 11:04 PM
"Spoonie"
I don't mean any disrespect here nor personal attack, but I have to ask: Why re-invent the wheel again when there are plenty of other good groups and orginazions out there?
From what I have read and from what I understand, you have left a group due to politics and other personal issues, however, creating your own organization...doesn't the politics remain...officer rank...etc.?
I wish you nothing but the best, but you have set standards now that others on this form are going to expect you to adhere to. Not meeting those standards can and will easily label you and your organization names such as paper "brigade", etc.!
Good luck!

yerbyray
07-21-2008, 11:16 PM
I have no dog in this fight but I wish you the best of luck in forming your brigade.

I see a need for the independents having a collective "voice" and this sure will help smaller units attend larger events that really discourage walk ons. With today's economy it is only logical that pulling resources together in smaller units helps them afford liability insurance.

It seems that you ruffled some feathers, it looks like it is against you by the nature of the petty personal attacks. I have waded knee deep through some colorful spelling on this forum and not once did I ever see someone point out the mistakes before.

Reenacting units are a lot like southern Baptist churches; they fracture and splinter when someone doesn't get their way. I use to think that was a bad thing but now I see it because the status quo or the "commanders for life" are too firmly entrenched in wearing the gold braid and numerous stars on their collars to relinquish command when their time is past.

This was very clear at GAC. I have never seen as many officers of various ranks floating around looking for someone to hear them out. Thank goodness we don't have to follow real military protocol by saluting or our arms would have been virtually useless and unable to hold a rifle.

I say form your brigade and let your folks get a reprieve from those who want to beat their own chest and swagger around with half chewed cigars, more gold braid than Elton John's underwear drawer, and who want to talk about the good old days (135th)...It's just their opinion.

For those against the guy forming his brigade so what? It isn't going to add or subtract from forces on the battle front. It isn't going to take or give money to your units. It isn't direct competition. Why worry, focus that energy on making a positive impact on our hobby.

Seriously what do the Umbrellas offer now except more brass to deal with or hoops to jump through? Has anyone been turned down to an event of any magnitude because they lacked membership with the big guys?

I know from Rev War reenacting the appeal of the umbrellas was research, insurance, and invitations to events. This period it seems like it is insurance as research is commonly shared on the internet and common in books and there are a plethora of events for all units.

skamikaze
07-21-2008, 11:17 PM

I have a job, I am a Dock Operations Manager at FedEx Ground, Hagerstown Hub. I work about 50 hours a week, and didn't even take a day off to recover from my 12 straight days of reenacting.

(p.s. my last post was a South Park quote, don't get in a hissy about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoqrPiAq8cA&feature=related)

skamikaze
07-21-2008, 11:28 PM
From this point forward women began to learn the errors they committed, and began producing goods at factory like efficiency.

This is not to be taken as mean or smart, but I was reading your quote, and had trouble understanding out what you meant. Is "efficiency" a good? Or is "like" a typo?

And if you can find someone who makes and sells efficiency, let me know, and I will buy a whole case for my employees.:D

Regimental_Officer
07-21-2008, 11:38 PM
"Spoonie"
I don't mean any disrespect here nor personal attack, but I have to ask: Why re-invent the wheel again when there are plenty of other good groups and orginazions out there?
From what I have read and from what I understand, you have left a group due to politics and other personal issues, however, creating your own organization...doesn't the politics remain...officer rank...etc.?
I wish you nothing but the best, but you have set standards now that others on this form are going to expect you to adhere to. Not meeting those standards can and will easily label you and your organization names such as paper "brigade", etc.!
Good luck!

This was something that was brought about as a whole not by just one person. We are going to attach ourselves to another organization but will do so after we have the numbers and everything in order. These units that are coming in are units that left their umbrella group for one reason or another. My reasoning for leaving Vincent's was not one for any personal gain or any animosity it was that these folks came up and presented an idea to me that i thought was a good one. I'm sure there are going to be bumpy roads ahead and i been in this hobby long enough to know what to expect. We however have some help from those who care and want to see us succeed. I get emails everyday from different units expressing interest in joining. we started out with 5 units now within the last few days we have had 4 more interested with another group who i cannot name until they decide on what to do that is a very strong organization with great numbers. We have 2 artillery units who pledged and another deciding what they want to do. I been in several groups and i have seen the do's and don't s and i have learned from the best. I'll tell you how i would model this group as is Smyth's brigade who is no longer around but i had a great time with those guys and there was minimal politics and all fun. That is what we want to achieve in this group. So with this said we have not decided where we are going but where ever we go they will have a great bunch of guys that i have had a privilege to serve with. Only time will tell how it will pan out.

Pvt Schnapps
07-21-2008, 11:42 PM
Are you serious? Now your picking on my spelling!! Jeez i highly doubt that you are typo free. This thread is not about myself but the forming of a group. What is wrong with that? I see all this negativity but no support!!! It is a wonder people feel the hobby is dying it's because nobody gives a darn about helping it make it better they rather have personal attacks in a forum. It's funny that none of this started sooner but rather after i made this post. Everyone who has spoken in a negative manner does not know that this was not my choice but a choice of others with a common goal. Are we not adults? then quit with the negative remarks and keep your comments to yourselves.

Actually, I picked on your general ability to communicate, which I wouldn't ordinarily do, but since you put yourself forward as a "Chief of Staff" and are asking people to join your "brigade," I didn't think it was so terribly unfair.

But I'm sorry we got off on the wrong foot. Let's start from square one. Could you explain how your "brigade" will help build the hobby or make it better? Your previous posts indicate little beyond the offer to provide a "brigade" staff to people who've already gone through the trouble of raising their own messes or companies.

You say nothing about standards for safety or authenticity, organizational philosophy, command structure, or the sort of events you plan to support. You mention insurance, but they can get that from any one of several already established umbrella organizations. Can just any unit join, or do you have certain criteria that have to be met? If anyone can join, and you have no standards, do you at least have a distinctive flag so the rest of us can make sure we keep a safe distance away on the field?

In short, what's the need you're trying to meet and what value do you add? That's not a negative comment, but a reasonable question of anyone putting themselves forward as leaders.

Regimental_Officer
07-22-2008, 12:07 AM
Actually, I picked on your general ability to communicate, which I wouldn't ordinarily do, but since you put yourself forward as a "Chief of Staff" and are asking people to join your "brigade," I didn't think it was so terribly unfair.

But I'm sorry we got off on the wrong foot. Let's start from square one. Could you explain how your "brigade" will help build the hobby or make it better? Your previous posts indicate little beyond the offer to provide a "brigade" staff to people who've already gone through the trouble of raising their own messes or companies.

You say nothing about standards for safety or authenticity, organizational philosophy, command structure, or the sort of events you plan to support. You mention insurance, but they can get that from any one of several already established umbrella organizations. Can just any unit join, or do you have certain criteria that have to be met? If anyone can join, and you have no standards, do you at least have a distinctive flag so the rest of us can make sure we keep a safe distance away on the field?

In short, what's the need you're trying to meet and what value do you add? That's not a negative comment, but a reasonable question of anyone putting themselves forward as leaders.

I will answer your questions for you:

1) Your previous posts indicate little beyond the offer to provide a "brigade" staff to people who've already gone through the trouble of raising their own messes or companies.

Answer: These are units who for whatever reason left their group and want to start a new one that they can have a voice in and be a part of the staff building part of the group.

2) You say nothing about standards for safety or authenticity, organizational philosophy, command structure, or the sort of events you plan to support.

Answer:The standards are being written as we speak and all of the safety standards as well. A authenticity guideline is being worked on with the help of a few people and will be brought to the group to be ratified. The command structure will be announced as soon as they are voted on and when we get the numbers to see what command structure will better suit on what we have.

3) you ask about the insurance

Answer: remember most left the group that offered it and some groups coming in never had it.

4) you ask can everyone join

Answer: when the criteria is written and they fall within it then yes they can join.

Everything is in it's infancy stage and is being worked on. That is why i asked in BIG BOLD RED LETTERS to email me or send me a private message then i could explain this to any unit wishing to join. All of the things you have mentioned are being worked on and will be in place i have several well established officers and men helping us with this who will not get into a argument in here with anyone but sees what we are trying to do and they are offering a hand.

Pvt Schnapps
07-22-2008, 08:48 AM
I will answer your questions for you:

1) Your previous posts indicate little beyond the offer to provide a "brigade" staff to people who've already gone through the trouble of raising their own messes or companies.

Answer: These are units who for whatever reason left their group and want to start a new one that they can have a voice in and be a part of the staff building part of the group.

2) You say nothing about standards for safety or authenticity, organizational philosophy, command structure, or the sort of events you plan to support.

Answer:The standards are being written as we speak and all of the safety standards as well. A authenticity guideline is being worked on with the help of a few people and will be brought to the group to be ratified. The command structure will be announced as soon as they are voted on and when we get the numbers to see what command structure will better suit on what we have.

3) you ask about the insurance

Answer: remember most left the group that offered it and some groups coming in never had it.

4) you ask can everyone join

Answer: when the criteria is written and they fall within it then yes they can join.

Everything is in it's infancy stage and is being worked on. That is why i asked in BIG BOLD RED LETTERS to email me or send me a private message then i could explain this to any unit wishing to join. All of the things you have mentioned are being worked on and will be in place i have several well established officers and men helping us with this who will not get into a argument in here with anyone but sees what we are trying to do and they are offering a hand.

Thanks for taking the time to explain. Good luck to you then.

bill watson
07-22-2008, 08:53 AM
This is not to be taken as mean or smart, but I was reading your quote, and had trouble understanding out what you meant. Is "efficiency" a good? Or is "like" a typo?

And if you can find someone who makes and sells efficiency, let me know, and I will buy a whole case for my employees.:D

Try this: "factory-like efficiency." Hyphens can make a difference. We just took that word "like" from being an orphan to being a compound modifier. :-)

Altecfive
07-22-2008, 09:07 AM
I thought since I have been quiet on this topic I would jump in and say a few words. I think at this point we all should wait and let Matt lay out the guidelines for his battalion. Once that is completed, give him and his team some time to operate. Then if people aren't happy or whatever, then say something to him. Now while I will say Matt you probably shouldn't have said anything on the forums until you had your battalion, bylaws, and sop(standard operating procedure) laid out. You kinda jumped the gun, but hey at least you have enthusiasm about it. But, now your in the spotlight. So, get ready to get the bullets. Anyway, lets all chill and give them a chance before we start throwing stones.

skamikaze
07-22-2008, 09:19 AM
Try this: "factory-like efficiency." Hyphens can make a difference. We just took that word "like" from being an orphan to being a compound modifier. :-)

That makes a lot more sense.

reddiamond
07-22-2008, 10:16 AM
All,
There are times when leadership becomes entrenched in their positions and stand in the way of progress. I've seen this far too many times.

I used to be a part of the "unattached battalion" just like the one formed for GAC. In fact, we were called on the registration forms "The Unattached Others." This was the box you checked if you were not part of the National Regiment or the Western National Regiment.

It took a couple of years befotre the "U.O" became organized on its own under Tom Moore. It is now the USV. The U.O. begat Vincent's Brigade. Vincent's begat Birney's and now this new organization. The NR begat the Mifflin Guard. The Western Regiment became the Western Brigade. And so the story goes on.

There seems to be a variety of reasons why unbrella organizations exist. Most of these consist of like-minded folks who band together to reenact on their collective level of commitment. One caveat is that the member units should not be bound together by their least common denominator. Disgruntled units not finding a home in one of the already existing umbrella organizations might have a reason for not having already found a home.

I've heard the "politics" excuse being thrown around for years. But be careful, as many units cannot gain membership in another organization and therefore are floating about in limbo. They can only attend events where a watchdog organization does not carefully screen the registration lists....or the annual pumpkin festivals.

Scot Buffington

sigman
07-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Well said Scot. And, I believe that any battalion should field at least 100 men at an event to be considered a viable unit on the field. That was the standard set by the CWRLC many years ago.

Sorry to hear that an organization is in turmoil. Forming an organization from those floating on the fringe as independent isn't a bad idea either. But, I am sure many of those units or members therein are aware of the existing umbrella groups from campaign to family freindly.

Good luck Matt. But, I do hope you are not lurking like a shark waiting to grab up the pieces of what is left of an exisiting group or making a play for troops from any intact group which can be contentuous.

Andy Siganuk, 12th NJ, Co. K, Mifflin Guard

Regimental_Officer
07-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Well said Scot. And, I believe that any battalion should field at least 100 men at an event to be considered a viable unit on the field. That was the standard set by the CWRLC many years ago.

Sorry to hear that an organization is in turmoil. Forming an organization from those floating on the fringe as independent isn't a bad idea either. But, I am sure many of those units or members therein are aware of the existing umbrella groups from campaign to family freindly.

Good luck Matt. But, I do hope you are not lurking like a shark waiting to grab up the pieces of what is left of an exisiting group or making a play for troops from any intact group which can be contentuous.

Andy Siganuk, 12th NJ, Co. K, Mifflin Guard

Andy thank for the good luck. We are not sharking for units that fall apart. At this point we are made up those who do not belong to any umbrella group or never have.

OVI
07-22-2008, 01:20 PM
Matthew...can you clarify something? Is your new organization going to be its own umbrella or did I understand you to say that once you get formed, you will be joining an existing one? Just curious.

Kent Dorr - Ohio
"Devils Own Mess"

Swag
07-22-2008, 02:34 PM
Yes it was a typo, I meant to place a hyphen there, so sorry for that, thank you Mr. Watson for correcting me.

Regimental_Officer
07-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Matthew...can you clarify something? Is your new organization going to be its own umbrella or did I understand you to say that once you get formed, you will be joining an existing one? Just curious.

Kent Dorr - Ohio
"Devils Own Mess"

At this time we have not decided on what we are going to do. There is options and we are going to explore all of them to make sure everyone in the group will be on the same page.

bill watson
07-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Yes it was a typo, I meant to place a hyphen there, so sorry for that, thank you Mr. Watson for correcting me.

Not a correction, really, Sean, since creation of compound modifiers is almost always optional. It just sometimes helps the reader know what goes with what, like knowing what regiment is with what umbrella group. :-)

Ephraim_Zook
07-23-2008, 10:24 PM
I have waded knee deep through some colorful spelling on this forum and not once did I ever see someone point out the mistakes before.

May I commend to your attention the following, from one of the moderators?
http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4899

Brian Wolle
07-23-2008, 10:27 PM
Matthew Fox

All good luck with your endeavor (I'm already a member, by the way) but you shouldn't be arguing with ANYONE no matter what they say at this point. Read some Lincoln. Write that nasty post -and POCKET it.

You shouldn't be expecting anything different on the FORUMS. They do not let ANYTHING slide.

DColeman
07-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Spoonie,
Best of luck on your endevour! I know you will be successful!
And anyone who knows you, knows you don't have thin skin. In fact I "believe" there is a painting on that skin that would make most people STFU pretty quick if they saw it.
I always look forward forward to seeing Stonewall Spoonie on the field! Just remember where our camp is, because we gave you that name! ;-)

Crazy Delaware
07-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Spoonie,

Being from the other Vincent's Battalion (1st), and a lot of us over here know the reasons behind what you are doing, say "bully for you". Unfortunately a lot of the comment's directed at you are unwarranted because they do not know the whole "story" and they don't need to know. You're efforts are giving those reenactors who want and need the change an opportunity to do so. Don't fall into the webs of others who wish only to show how much they don't know by making unwarranted and unproductive criticisms, but listen to those who are offering good criticism. You'll make a good leader for the new Battalion. Good luck.

Regimental_Officer
07-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Matthew Fox

All good luck with your endeavor (I'm already a member, by the way) but you shouldn't be arguing with ANYONE no matter what they say at this point. Read some Lincoln. Write that nasty post -and POCKET it.

You shouldn't be expecting anything different on the FORUMS. They do not let ANYTHING slide.

Brian, I took the advise of Lincoln and my pockets are full lol.See you in the field!!

Regimental_Officer
07-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Spoonie,
Best of luck on your endevour! I know you will be successful!
And anyone who knows you, knows you don't have thin skin. In fact I "believe" there is a painting on that skin that would make most people STFU pretty quick if they saw it.
I always look forward forward to seeing Stonewall Spoonie on the field! Just remember where our camp is, because we gave you that name! ;-)

That is true you guys did give me that nickname. Trust me i know where you guys will be camped and i will not be a stranger so save a spot for me at the fireside.

Regimental_Officer
07-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Spoonie,

Being from the other Vincent's Battalion (1st), and a lot of us over here know the reasons behind what you are doing, say "bully for you". Unfortunately a lot of the comment's directed at you are unwarranted because they do not know the whole "story" and they don't need to know. You're efforts are giving those reenactors who want and need the change an opportunity to do so. Don't fall into the webs of others who wish only to show how much they don't know by making unwarranted and unproductive criticisms, but listen to those who are offering good criticism. You'll make a good leader for the new Battalion. Good luck.

Bill,
Thank you for the words of encouragement!! I hope the day will come when our new brigade and Vincent's (1st Regiment) cross paths again. You guys are hard fighters and know what your capable of "And so does the confederates" Thanks again! See you in the field.

pvt_water
07-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Hello Regimental_Officer!

I know it says not to respond to the post, but I feel I have too. I just wanted to wish you the best of luck in forming your new Brigade!! I had the opportunity to fall in with your provisional unit at Gettysburg, and I was truly impressed by the men under your command, and I was truly impressed by your leadership on and off the battlefield. Never before have myself and my comrades felt so welcome by any organization other than our own.

And to you, I say HUZZAH! Most of the time, at big events, the only time you see an officer of high rank is when he’s riding past you heading to speak with another officer or to hide until the next day’s events. You certainly went the extra mile to take care of your men and to talk with, interact with, and encourage them. For men from all over country and the world to come together and fight as one unit under your command, speaks highly of your organizational and leadership abilities. That didn’t go unnoticed by myself and the men I had the pleasure of speaking with.

I feel that when this brigade is formed, it will create an open field of opportunity for a lot of reenactors and a lot of reenacting units…opportunities that may or may not have otherwise been given to them. Many, many thanks to you for taking on this most difficult task.

I commend you for your efforts, and give you my full support.

Respectfully submitted,
Pvt_Water

RJSamp
07-26-2008, 10:30 AM

Remember the commercial: "Winston tastes good like a cigarette should"?

English professors had a field day with that ad back in the 60's....

bulletsponge
07-26-2008, 11:57 PM
Never mind the employees, I'd like a case all for myself!

zouavecampaigner
08-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Oh stop it already (and Rog also).... did you both personally email Dom Dal Bello and his ARMY of the Pacific (AOP) and tell him that it should be about 50,000 strong......

or have you emailed the several thousand reenacting units that bill themselves as this or that regiment....may attach a Company letter to it.....and let them know that if they don't have 50+ dues paying members they should call themselves a squad or whatever......

"Companies and Battalions were NOT built from Messes during the ACW" - Mess.

RJ,
we do a portrayal of the 114th PA Zouaves, Co. A, for the Gettysburg campaign. By G'burg, they consisted of 1 sgt., 1 cpl., and 4 privates. I think they were called the "still glad to be alive" mess! ;)

yours in jest,
Shaun

zouavecampaigner
08-03-2008, 11:58 AM
more so who said that havelocks were not used past 61? I think before you comment think before you post. there has been several cases of men who wore them after 61 that were homespun!!! more prevalent in zouave units and as a person portraying a zouave should have known that.

Woah, woah, woah. Matt, where might I see zouaves wearing homespun havelocks? Could you please site me some references?

Thanks!!

Regards,
Shaun

zouavecampaigner
08-03-2008, 12:05 PM
They can only attend events where a watchdog organization does not carefully screen the registration lists....or the annual pumpkin festivals.

Scot Buffington

Scot,

Or maple syrup festivals ;)

Hope you're well!!

Regards,
Shaun

Memphis
08-04-2008, 08:06 AM
Havelocks? The impetuous Willie Pegram of CS artillery fame wore a havelock past model year 1861, not that such a garment provided the form of head protection he would eventually need. As to his white linen duster providing a wonderful target, you are on your own.

Micah Trent
08-04-2008, 08:08 AM

Not meaning to change the topic. but...
does the AOP even exist any more? Last I heard, it had dissolved into just a handful of what it once was if not even that.

Memphis
08-04-2008, 08:21 AM
Micah,

Excellent question.

flattop32355
08-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Equally excellent question - What happened to it and Why?

thpritchett
08-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Equally excellent question - What happened to it and Why?

Somehow, given the nature of reenactor politics, I suspect this may be one answer that we may not want dragged into the light of day - at least not in terms of all the gory details.

OVI
08-05-2008, 01:45 AM
does the AOP even exist any more? Last I heard, it had dissolved into just a handful of what it once was if not even that.

It needs to be pointed out that the AOP as an organization was not what most reenactors think of in terms of being an umbrella organization. It really was more of a shared vision that allowed like minded Federals to form companies to fill out the AOP ranks. No standing line companies, just groups of soldiers from across the country with a common goal of attending one event a year to experience a soldiers life. I had the good fortune to serve in the ranks f the AOP at a few events and was never disappointed. Within the 1st Federal Div, as I was a member of both the Western Brigade and the Army of the Ohio, the AOP always stood for me as the goal of what our organizations should be offering our men.

Kent Dorr - Ohio
"Devils Own Mess"

Pvt Schnapps
08-05-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm still waiting for documentation of late war homespun havelocks...

RJSamp
08-05-2008, 08:58 PM

Dom got too busy with his real life.

Micah Trent
08-05-2008, 09:56 PM
I know the last I heard of the AOP doing anything was at Mills Springs last year for their National.

Oh well, we've managed to completely hijack page 7 here in Spoonies Thread. Getting back to the topic, we now continue with our regularly scheduled program...or so we think.;)

RJSamp
08-05-2008, 11:15 PM
I know the last I heard of the AOP doing anything was at Mills Springs last year for their National.

Oh well, we've managed to completely hijack page 7 here in Spoonies Thread. Getting back to the topic, we now continue with our regularly scheduled program...or so we think.;)

actually very little at Mill Springs....they basically had a company plus...the Western Brigade lent them a couple three companies and some officers.....and they carried on.

zouavecampaigner
08-15-2008, 06:20 PM
I'm bumping this, and trying to hear about said havelocks, as mentioned earlier in this thread. Matthew, would you mind sharing, please?

Thanks!

Regards,
Shaun

Regimental_Officer
08-17-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm bumping this, and trying to hear about said havelocks, as mentioned earlier in this thread. Matthew, would you mind sharing, please?

Thanks!

Regards,
Shaun

I believe somone had already posted something about havelocks. I have more pressing issues then go in circles with this so i suggest you grab another pig by the tail!!!

zouavecampaigner
08-18-2008, 12:33 PM

Matthew,

I asked you a simple question asking for documentation to back up your statements about havelocks, especially as worn by zouaves, as quoted above. I am not calling you names, bad-mouthing anyone or anything, or being an all-around jerk. I am simply asking you for some period documentation to back up what you stated as facts, as I study all things zouave, and would be really interested in adding to their lexicon.

Regards,
Shaun Grenan
Gettysburg, PA

TheColorBearer
08-18-2008, 03:37 PM
I think this is a fabulous idea and I will support it in any way I can.;)

medicalcadetcorp
08-22-2008, 12:56 AM
Matt,

I believe you owe me some money and since you haven't reply to any of my phone calls or emails for the past month or so I thought I would leave a message on here since your on so often. Please give me a call, you have my number.

yankeecav
08-22-2008, 11:31 PM

Actually the Mill Springs contingent of the AOP was Paul, Bill, Jordan and myself plus maybe 2 other guys. They folded us in with SCAR which welcomed us nicely. Dom became a supernumerary.

Regimental_Officer
08-23-2008, 12:08 AM
Matt,

I believe you owe me some money and since you haven't reply to any of my phone calls or emails for the past month or so I thought I would leave a message on here since your on so often. Please give me a call, you have my number.

I think we made a agreement that i would return the tent. Therefore you owe me money when the tent is returned!!!

medicalcadetcorp
08-24-2008, 06:58 PM
The agreement was you would purchase the tent. It has been 4 months and I haven't seen the money, it was always, next week, next week. Since you did not pay me I asked for the tent back and you agreed to return the tent at beginning of August. Now lets see what the tents condition is in.

Regimental_Officer
08-25-2008, 02:09 AM
The agreement was you would purchase the tent. It has been 4 months and I haven't seen the money, it was always, next week, next week. Since you did not pay me I asked for the tent back and you agreed to return the tent at beginning of August. Now lets see what the tents condition is in.

Ok.... Number 1 - i do not live in lancaster ....Number 2- i'm not mailing a wall tent through the mail...Number 3 your tent is still in pristine condition since you last saw it....Number 4 i said i will drop it off to you when i get to gettysburg....Number 5 why can't you remember 4?

Pvt Schnapps
08-25-2008, 07:42 AM
....Number 2- i'm not mailing a wall tent through the mail...

I think we've found a new drawback to heavy camping.

Wonder how many havelocks you can cut out of a wall tent...

medicalcadetcorp
08-25-2008, 09:05 AM
A simple check would be a lot easier then sending a tent through the mail or lugging it to Gettysburg to drop it off.

I'll be in Gettysburg in 2 weeks I'll drop the tent off with the poles that i have.

Exact quote by you from back in July.

zouavecampaigner
08-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Mike,

do you know anything about havelocks?

Regards,
Shaun

Rick Keating
08-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Hey Matthew,

Lose the bold type, it's more difficult to read in long posts. Bold type is meant to emphasize a word or a phrase.

In internet parlance it's known as "shouting."

Give our eyes a break and use the normal font, please.

Rick Keating
40 years in the ad biz mess

medicalcadetcorp
08-25-2008, 01:31 PM
Shaun
Havelocks were made for troops mainly by civilian organizations and individuals at the start of the war for troops in warm climates. The havelock was thought to keep the sun off your neck and keep you cool. While there were many styles, the most common were made of linen or cotton. Some were specialty made and private purchased. Henry Havelock made the havelock "fashionable" or "common" during Sepoy Rebellion in 1857. Many soldiers would discard the havelocks in the beginning of the war although there are few accounts of soldiers continuing to use them. This is just what I know, I don’t consider myself to be an export on havelocks, additional information would be helpful if you have it.

Regimental_Officer
08-25-2008, 01:58 PM
It is funny when i started this thread i requested that all questions be forward to my email, However this was not done. I entertained questions relating to the brigade to the best of my ability when questions were asked that were a little premature. Now the thread took a life of it's own talking not about the subject it was meant.

zouavecampaigner
08-25-2008, 03:52 PM
Shaun
Havelocks were made for troops mainly by civilian organizations and individuals at the start of the war for troops in warm climates. The havelock was thought to keep the sun off your neck and keep you cool. While there were many styles, the most common were made of linen or cotton. Some were specialty made and private purchased. Henry Havelock made the havelock "fashionable" or "common" during Sepoy Rebellion in 1857. Many soldiers would discard the havelocks in the beginning of the war although there are few accounts of soldiers continuing to use them. This is just what I know, I don’t consider myself to be an export on havelocks, additional information would be helpful if you have it.

Mike,
thanks, that's about what I have for info, too. I'm just trying to find where this "homespun" zouave havelock thing comes from for my notes on zouaves!

Thanks!
Shaun

Swag
08-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Shaun,
From my research, I have found nothing on the use of havelocks by Zouaves as Matt had stated earlier. The only thing I have read thus far is what I had posted earlier with in this hodgepodge mess of a thread. "Homespun" havelocks were made during the early period of the war, as we well know, but as we have already noted, once women and civilians in general have noticed that soldiers were not using them for there original purpose they ceased producing them and moved-on to more useful items, such as socks and bandages. If I do stumble upon any more info on said subject you will be the first to be notified.

zouavecampaigner
09-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Sean,

I've found accounts of zouaves using them in 1861, and wearing them under their fezzes. I love doing that at early-war events, especially when you pin the corners up under your chin. :)

There is an early-war photo of the 5th NY in the field, in their 1st issue uniforms, and I THINK there might be a guy in it with a havelock under his fez, but it might also be a really badly wrapped turban that's falling off. I haven't found a high-res version of it anywhere. It's from a stereoview, I believe.

Regards, and thanks,
Shaun

zouavecampaigner
09-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Moderator,

might you be able to move the havelock discussion to the proper location on the forum so we may continue the discussion?

Thanks,
Shaun

Tom Scoufalos
09-01-2008, 04:20 PM
I started this thread on the 25th ultimo. Shaun, the pic you are thinking of is included in the post, altho' not at all high-res.

http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10185

All the best,

zouavecampaigner
09-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Thanks Tom! Also, thanks for posting the image I was referring to!

Regards,
Shaun

Tom Scoufalos
09-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Thanks Tom! Also, thanks for posting the image I was referring to!

Regards,
Shaun

I'm always happy to do a pard "a solid"....:D

Swag
09-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Ah yes this photo, hard to see, but I believe that those are turbans, loosely placed on their heads as a "make-shift" havelock per se. I may be wrong but just my two cents of what they look like to me. If we had a larger, more high definition photo, I believe that would help, but I can not seem to find one.

Tom Scoufalos
09-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Trust me, they are havelocks. There are tons of other, nondigitized photos that will be in Pohanka's book when it is published that are clearer and show them to be clearly havelocks, and we have Davenport's report of their being issued to the whole regiment (again, the timing of the issue according to him conflicting with the Fort Schuyler Dress Parade photo). I'll see if I can dig up some more digitized ones, altho' I cannot promise their clarity...

Tom Scoufalos
09-02-2008, 12:17 PM
The first is another photo taken at Camp Hamilton about May, 1861 showing two zouaves with havelocks hanging down to their mid-backs.

The second is an engraving, and yes, I definately know how inaccurate they can be (heck, I can find plenty of inaccuracies on this one!). However, take notice to the fellow on the far left...clearly wearing his havelock fastened under his chin, just like on the detail photo above.

packrat
09-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Dear Sir. If your Army is willing to travel down South we have a few nice sized events in need of a REAL FEDERAL FORCE OF SUBSTANTIAL NUMBERS. For years now we have relied on volunteer companies to put on the Blue Suit. We here in South Carolina (well at least those of us that are forced year after year to suffer defeat after defeat) would truly welcome you here. Best of luck . Sgt "Packrat" Clark 4th New Hampshire Vols.

TheColorBearer
09-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Dear Sir. If your Army is willing to travel down South we have a few nice sized events in need of a REAL FEDERAL FORCE OF SUBSTANTIAL NUMBERS. For years now we have relied on volunteer companies to put on the Blue Suit. We here in South Carolina (well at least those of us that are forced year after year to suffer defeat after defeat) would truly welcome you here. Best of luck . Sgt "Packrat" Clark 4th New Hampshire Vols.

There used to be a lot of us yankee's that traveled down south in large numbers in the 80's and 90's, but due to lack of the infamous southern hospitality replaced with a large dose of RUDE not many travel that far south anymore.

Abrams
09-30-2008, 10:50 AM
There used to be a lot of us yankee's that traveled down south in large numbers in the 80's and 90's, but due to lack of the infamous southern hospitality replaced with a large dose of RUDE not many travel that far south anymore.

Thats a bummer. I wore the blue down at Shiloh and received a heaping helping of Southern Hospitality. I have never received a side order of Rude, although I have had some playful comments tossed on my plate, but it was all in fun.

I'll go South for good food, good times and good history. And I'll wear the blue without hesitation. :)

skamikaze
09-30-2008, 11:21 AM

Speak for yourself, I have always had a good time going south and doing blue. Without us, they have nothing to shoot at.

GaWildcat
09-30-2008, 12:52 PM
When Shiloh was Confederate heavy, our unit or rather some of our unit traveled from Georgia to wear the blue, and had a high time doing it.

RJSamp
09-30-2008, 01:50 PM
Well I'll vouch for certain people AT the recent Chicka145 reenactment praying out loud that all the yanks would be killed/slaughtered....wishing us harm, etc. Some of them weren't civil....

In every jest there is some truth.

TheColorBearer
10-01-2008, 10:49 AM
At a Tenn. event in 95' myself and four others showed up for an event and there were no yankee's to be seen.We set up camp and several confederate re-enACTOR's approached us asking what we was doing there, we thought the gentleman was playing the part and responded accordingly. A few seconds later we all realized that he wasn't playing around when he made a rude comment to us not in a 1860 fashion of speaking. I asked " Well this is a re-enactment who are you going to fight? each other?" He again asked us to leave said event saying we were not welcome at which point he was almost placed on his arse by my 1st Sgt. who happens to be 6'4" 265 lbs. In the end it was 40 confederates Vs. 4 yankee's with us losing both days.

This is just one example of the rudeness, I am sure there are many others. I myself still travel south when my schedule and wallet permit it as I like being a yankee in the deep south events(someone has to do it) and I tend to bring 4 or 5 Yankee's with me. The information in my previous staement was based on what I have heard from others who will never travel south again and stick to the local events.

I also feel that a lot of the rudeness stems from Northerns who travel south and portray confederates, as this is a slap in the face to most born and raised southerners. I feel if you were raised a yankee, then that is what you should portray at an event south of the Mason Dixon line. Believe it or not there are more confederate re-enACTOR's in the north than there are in the south it seems.

These are my opinions and I hope that they do not offend anyone in any way, if my opinions do offend I am truly sorry for that.

cavsgt
10-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Every time that we have traveled south in the last 20 some years we have been welcomed. The only rude or bad treatment I have seen is usually yankee. Maybe only playing with the Cav. makes the difference but our experience and contacts have been super.

reddiamond
10-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Back in the early '90s, I was on my way to a reenactment in southern Virginia. I stopped at a mom and pop gas station to top off the tank. SO many mom and pop places are closed on Sunday's, at least at that time. It was a full service gas station. The attendant approached my car and asked "how much?"
"$15 regular, " I replied. On seeing my conspicuous blue uniform in my back seat he said, "I see you're a Yankee!" "You can pump your own gas."

It kind of amazes me that such things still go on.

I was born in San Diego, and that town, by way of latitude is further south than Atlanta. But that somehow does not count me in as being southern. I have at least one CS ancestor, and he was in the Stone wall Brigade to boot!!

Somehow, my Pittsburgh accent and blue uniform makes me a marked man.
I do have a Confederate impression. I wear this to Ohio events where men in gray and butternut have been needed in the past to even the sides out. This year, there were more gray than blue at a particular Buckeye state event. We were cheered as we routed the stalwart Ohio troops.
?????? Then again, I did see a whole lot of rebel flags hanging from porches in that area of the state.

I would be curious to see where all those Confederates reside at the larger events. I bet that many live in the great north. Wouldn't it be something to see a major Virginia event that sorted impressions by zip code! That would really go far in ensuring proper force ratios. (just kidding) I would not wish to impose such regulations on such Sons of the South. Even if they are from South Buffalo.

I have not recently felt the cold looks of contempt when traveling the south. Quite possibly that is because there are so many transplanted northerners there who retire to warmer climates, bring their corrupt Yankee ways, their strange accents, and their tainted Yankee money.

I'll likely retire in Virginia and bring the family tree by to the Old Dominion. Then I can have fun making Yankees pump their own gas. Especially while wearing my Steelers sweatshirt.

Scot Buffington
63rd PVI

medicalcadetcorp
10-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Since it has been another 2 months I will post yet another message to you, Mr Fox. You still have in your possession MY tent I agreed to sell you back in May. You still owe me $250.00 for the tent. If you don't have the money, no problem, just send the tent back. Can I make it any more easier?

Swag
10-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Yes Michael you can, if he does not return the said tent in x amount of time, you can hire a lawyer and take care of matters professionally and legally.

Regimental_Officer
10-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Mike,
I told i would return the tent. I have not be able to get to lancaster nor gettysburg at this time people do work because we actually have to make money and not work for free unlike someone i know. As soon as i'am able you will get your tent or send the $50 bucks i payed you and maybe i can ship it to you it's your call i gave you an option now stop your whining already!!! How can somone who is so "Hardcore" we such a cry baby!!!

TheColorBearer
10-06-2008, 11:58 PM
Since it has been another 2 months I will post yet another message to you, Mr Fox. You still have in your possession MY tent I agreed to sell you back in May. You still owe me $250.00 for the tent. If you don't have the money, no problem, just send the tent back. Can I make it any more easier?

Plan B : Drive to his current location.:p

Spinster
10-07-2008, 12:56 AM
Wonder how many havelocks you can cut out of a wall tent...

I dunno, but after a windstorm, I learned you can cut a heck of a lot of floor cloth out of a ruined sutler tent.

Funny thing, four of the five canvas abodes I own came to me in the mail. Some of them poles, stakes, ropes and all. That 17 * 17 I had to go pick up at the PO though. Mailman said he could not lift the box. :p

FloridaConfederate
10-07-2008, 07:42 AM
Talking about Southron ire for our Septentrional neighbors.....

Betcha if you sold that tent to good ole boy you'd have your money by now.

Just sayin'.

TheColorBearer
10-07-2008, 08:02 AM
I dunno, but after a windstorm, I learned you can cut a heck of a lot of floor cloth out of a ruined sutler tent.

Funny thing, four of the five canvas abodes I own came to me in the mail. Some of them poles, stakes, ropes and all. That 17 * 17 I had to go pick up at the PO though. Mailman said he could not lift the box. :p

You didn't buy a panther primitive product?

Spinster
10-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Mr. Burnett,

Panther is famous for their indestructible tents and door to door service. I've owned a Panther before, but likely will not again.

What they don't make is a 'girl tent'. A girl tent is one I can put up alone. So, I use a different manufactuer, one that utilizes an even higher quality of canvas, one woven to be especially lightweight as well as durable. Coupled with hardwood poles, this means I can leverage a rather large expanse into place with a bit of cleverness.

I hope I've bought my last tent--a bitty one just for me. And eventually, my young folks will take the big ones to their homes when they have room.

Still and all, as long as old bones and bad lungs will let me, I prefer the arrangement I had at Chickamauga--2 sections of painted floor cloth and a blanket roll.

Oh, and that wasn't MY ruined sutler tent we were cutting floor cloths from.......

Claude Sinclair
11-19-2008, 08:46 PM

Our Battalion usually teams up with the 4th NH and the 2nd NY Regulars and we welcome them with open arms. We would welcome any Federal unit and the host provides the Federals the prime real estate behind the Boone Hall Plantation. The Battle of Secessionville on June 16, 1862 came very close to being a Federal victory. Had Secessionville fell, so would have Charleston. What is ironic is that I own two of the actual drill manuals (Scotts) that was owned by Major A.B. Watson of the 8th Michigan who had his horse shot out from under him while attacking the works. I had two gg and a ggg grandfathers fighting on the Confederate side there.

Claude Sinclair
11-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Our Battalion usually teams up with the 4th NH and the 2nd NY Regulars and we welcome them with open arms. We would welcome any Federal unit and the host provides the Federals the prime real estate behind the Boone Hall Plantation. The Battle of Secessionville on June 16, 1862 came very close to being a Federal victory. Had Secessionville fell, so would have Charleston. What is ironic is that I own two of the actual drill manuals (Scotts) that was owned by Major A.B. Watson of the 8th Michigan who had his horse shot out from under him while attacking the works. I had two gg and a ggg grandfathers fighting on the Confederate side there.

I have no ideal how this post got all the way to this thread. I post it on the Kibler packs for sale in an entirely different thread. The post got off of the subject and someone started posting how rude Southerners were toward Federals.