PDA

View Full Version : Gettysburg Battlefield Question

sneezy
07-16-2008, 11:13 AM
Although I've been a member here for a while, this is my first post. And it's a question. And if it's in the wrong place, well, it certainly won't hurt my feelings if it gets moved.

Although not a reenactor, I've studied the American Civil War for many years and have also been a black powder burner for about the same amount of time. So I feel that we share many common interests and I've learned a lot here.

Now for my question: In September my famliy and I will be making a return visit to Gettysburg. We've toured the battlefield, to include the East Cavalry Field, before. But we haven't gone to the South Cavalry Field. And I'm familiar with the events that went on there on the afternoon of July third. But the NPS maps and the self guided CD-based tours make no mention of the South Field. So my question to all of you is just what is there to see on the South Cavalry Field? My maps do not show any service roads. I assume that one gets there on the Emmetsburg Road but are there any access roads to the Field? And, if so, what do any of you suggest that we see there? Any help and advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

sneezy

Ross L. Lamoreaux
07-16-2008, 12:03 PM
http://www.civilwaralbum.com/misc8/south_cav_field1.htm. This link has a pretty good synopsis of the events there as well as several modern photos of what the site looks like today.

FranklinGuardsNYSM
07-16-2008, 03:10 PM
Park near the "right flank" of the CS line on Confederate Avenue, or at the spaces provided once the woodline begins. Bring some reading material, and don't trust the monuments, as at least one is in the wrong field. Depending on the time of the year, you can easily follow the stone wall that marked the border of the farm lane that leads off to the right side of the park road. Some of the coolest and most obvious "rifle nest" positions are along this wall, where the 1st TX established a thin defensive line.

I'll try to post something of a bibliography later when I get home.

sneezy
07-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the replies; they're both useful information. And to anyone else reading this thread: additional help and thoughts will be welcomed and appreciated.

Best,
sneezy

Brian Wolle
07-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Always best to bring your own maps.

I like this book, "The World Will Long Remember" by JoAnna McDonald. The entire battle is covered. There's a map on virtually every page that connects time-wise with the previous map. Pictures of most generals who participated in the specific action being described.

Another great thing is Gettyburg magazine. You can get back issues in town. Articles on certain actions, no matter how small. Clear up questions that can be cleared. There might be an article on that S. Cav. battle in there...

You have relatives in that fight?

sneezy
07-20-2008, 07:16 PM
Brian,

As far as I know, I didn't have any relatives in that fight; just always been fascinated with the battle. Thanks for the reply.