PDA

View Full Version : Yes, they did wear hat brass and red trim.

Jeffrey Cohen
06-27-2006, 10:27 AM
Three Years a Soldier is now in print. It is the diary and newspaper correspondence of Private George perkins of the Sixth New York Independent Battery. I now have a picture of Corporal George H. Brown of the Sixth New York Independent Battery. He is wearnig his artillery shell jacket with red trim.
His forage cap is is placed at his side and the crossed cannon and number six are plainly visable.
Regards,
Jeffrey Cohen

MStuart
06-27-2006, 11:08 AM
I've got one of Heros Von Borke in a shell jacket with yellow cavalry trim. Now that the secret's out, let's hope these two photos don't set reenacting back 20 years.

With tongue in cheek

Mark

theknapsack
06-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Jeffrey,
One of the reasons that reenactors are pushing for no hat brass is standardization of authenticity. Sure, they had hat brass, and they used it, but how does it look when you've got ten units of ten men each portraying a battalion? Ridiculous!
Also, there is plenty of photographic evidence of the use and non-use of hatbrass, if you just look through the LOC archives. I would say I see just as much hat brass as I don't, but don't take my word for it, check yourself!

Cheers,

VaTrooper
06-27-2006, 11:32 AM
Mark look what you did!

http://www.13thcav.com/cavalry3_010.htm

AZReenactor
06-27-2006, 12:31 PM
Really, so members of the Sixth New York Independent Battery had red trim and hat brass. So that is who all them well bedecked artillery units must be portraying. ;-) So does he also mention that all artillerymen wear red shirts? This seems to be the latest farby fad...

HighPrvt
06-27-2006, 01:54 PM
Is the photo dated ?
I would expect to se more trim/brass in '61, than '63-'65

FWL
06-27-2006, 02:05 PM
I don't understand how seeing hat brass/piping in one picture would lead one to put all sorts of brass and piping on your uniform unless it was historically called for at the event you were attending. Many of the posed historical pictures of federals had hat brass, does that mean they wore it on campaign? What about early war vs. late war? Are you portraying a generic soldier or a band box REM (sorry Vietnam again).

For example my home unit is the 28th Mass (Irish Unit, part of the Irish Brigade). There is written evidence they were issued white gators in Mass. they did not like them and tried to avoid wearing them. There is no evidence they wore them on a campaign. Would I wear them (I have a excellent historically correct pair)? No not at a reenactment but maybe at a parade. Actually I don't think I've been at a reeanctment where anyone portrayed the old 28th MVI.

cblodg
06-27-2006, 05:47 PM
Three Years a Soldier is now in print. It is the diary and newspaper correspondence of Private George perkins of the Sixth New York Independent Battery. I now have a picture of Corporal George H. Brown of the Sixth New York Independent Battery. He is wearnig his artillery shell jacket with red trim.
His forage cap is is placed at his side and the crossed cannon and number six are plainly visable.
Regards,
Jeffrey Cohen

Sorry Jeff, but I gotta say it; "My dog barks the star spangled banner, so all dogs bark the star spangled banner."

Its called over-gerneralization. It's like when you first teach a child the difference between a dog and a cat. If the first animal they see is a dog (which has hair, four legs, and a tail) you say "woof." Then they see another animal that matches the same criteria, they say "woof," you say, "no, kitty. Meow."

I didn't mean to be sarcastic but its the best way I could explain. Just because you find one image that has a guy wearing hat brass, doesn't mean that the whole army wore them. Did they, YES! They also had color-bearer cheverons (but lets not open that can of worms shall we). As someone else stated, the hobby has moved to a more generic look.

YOS;
Chris

indguard
06-27-2006, 06:14 PM
There is also a major problem with Civil War photos that we might not get with later eras. Most photos we see of soldiers of the civil war are staged, static studio photos. Very often the accouterments, guns, etc. were the property of the photographer and not the soldier.

Many other times, the photo is of the soldier at the very beginning of his stint in the service BEFORE he got to his "fighting" appearance. Before he had shaken down his accouterments and arrived at his campaign look.

So, to say that a soldier who is fancied all up for the camera is presenting what he wore in the field (or would eventually wear if this is one of his first days in uniform as was often the case in many photos) can be a misleading assumption.

There are photos of the men in the field. So, I would look to those photos instead of the posed, studio portraits of the boys to get an idea of what they "looked" like in the field.

WTH

mntineer
07-03-2006, 10:23 AM

I don't think anyone would debate you about the exsitence of hat brass and trim, but the bigger question is what's appropriate for an event. If you leave it to everyone to dress in strict accordance to their unit, especially wearing hat brass, then you would have a single field company that represents many regiments and associated companies. Imagine how that looks to the public we're supposedly educating. That's why the generic look is pushed so much these days. If anyone should push for brass or other unit identifiers, it should be the event hosts as per their event.

RebelCapt
07-05-2006, 09:47 PM
William -

Thank you for that 13th va link -- made my night!!
I'm still laughing. More yellow trim on those boys then Ashley Wilkes!!

Chris
2nd MD Cav

skamikaze
07-06-2006, 07:05 AM
so how does everyone feel about corps badges?

FWL
07-06-2006, 09:51 AM
so how does everyone feel about corps badges?

If the event you are attending portrays a unit and time where they were worn i.e. Gettysburg AOP II, III or VI Corps ect fine. Otherwise don't wear them if "they" did'nt wear them at the battle you are portraying. Same thing for hat brass.

I don't know why this is so difficult to figure out. At some events I see more sh*^ on people's hats that have relavance to history. They look like clowns.

Regards

Frank Lilley
Sore Foot Mess

MStuart
07-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Mark look what you did!

http://www.13thcav.com/cavalry3_010.htm

Oh sure.........blame it on the one dismounted guy who posts regularly here!!

Mark

RebelCapt
07-06-2006, 09:06 PM
Woah there Mark,
Your not alone anymore.