PDA

View Full Version : State Monuments on Nat'l Park Battlefield Parks

Artyreb
07-14-2008, 03:44 PM
I was recently at Sharpsburg and, unless I am missing something, did not see a monument to Louisiana troops, despite their losing nearly 50% casualties at the Cornfield.

Can anyone correct me and advise me what it takes to get a monument placed on NPS property?

Ross L. Lamoreaux
07-14-2008, 03:52 PM
The majority of state monuments at NPS battlefield sites were paid for and installed by either the veterans themselves decades ago after the battles, or the individual states. There are still a number of battlefields who continue to install a monument here and there, but it is up to the state, not the Federal government to produce and install. I recall a discussion a couple of years ago that several of the larger, more "important" battlefields have locked down the sites to future monuments, but I don't remember which battlefields they are. Some of these parks had special commisions around the turn of the century (20th century) made up of veterans who fought in a particular battle and used battle reports and remembrances to place markers and monuments. To see about future placement of a marker at an NPS site, I would suggest a direct email to the chief ranger or historian at that park to see what it would entail.

sbl
07-14-2008, 04:49 PM
I hope that there will be a review of the artistic merits of any possible new monuments. Some newer ones resemble bronzed GI Joes. See the thread on favorite statues and monuments. Louisiana deserves a good one.

USMRR
07-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Louisiana deserves a good one. It is not a matter of what Louisiana deserves. It is a matter of preservation. The Louisiana troops who fought at Antietam will not be forgotten if they have no monument. Their deeds are recorded on "fame's eternal scroll." Besides, building more monuments on a battlefield like Antietam is not preservation. New monuments do not preserve land and they only detract from the monuments that the veterans themselves chose to erect.

The NPS has a moritorium on any new monuments at Antietam, but attempts are always being made to overturn it or find a loophole to drive a new monument through it.

We do not need any more monuments cluttering up the landscape at Antietam or on any other NPS battlefield. Enough is enough! Look at Gettysburg. Seminary Ridge looks like a junkyard for ugly modern art.

Monuments built today are not built to remember those who fought there. They are built to fuel the egos of modern day Civil War buffs who only wish they had been there. No more!

We do not need any more of these agenda-driven eyesores on our battlefields. Do not "Gettysburg" Antietam.

WAKE UP, PEOPLE! NO MORE MONUMENTS!!!

http://shaf.org/

5 th Alabama Infantry
07-15-2008, 09:48 AM
http://s347.photobucket.com/albums/p444/RELEEphoto/?action=view&current=z24-00432.jpg

Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument Baltimore, Maryland

sbl
07-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Mr. Cummings, what's the point? Do you find this statue good or bad?

sbl
07-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Yeah Chris, I see your point.

5 th Alabama Infantry
07-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Mr. Cummings, what's the point? Do you find this statue good or bad?

My mistake, it belongs under the Favorite Monuments thread.

We all make them . Recheck your spelling of "linch.".

sbl
07-15-2008, 12:05 PM
"Recheck your spelling of "linch.""

Thanks dude, glad you got my back.

sbl
07-15-2008, 12:11 PM
"The term "Lynch's Law" (and subsequently "lynch law" and "lynching") apparently originated during the American Revolution when Charles Lynch, a Virginia justice of the peace, ordered extralegal punishment for Tory acts."

from Wikipedia

Artyreb
07-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Wow, Chris...didn't mean for my question to stir you up. I understand what you are saying, however, I was not talking about preservation, I was talking about memorializing. You are being a bit harsh against those who with to place monuments to those Confederates who fought there. No ego here, no agenda here, just would like to see a memorial to Louisiana troops who sacrificed at Sharpsburg......you are right, soldiers who fought will be remembered on "fame's eternal scroll", however, there is always room for at least every state if there is not one there already.

Bitter_Bierce
07-19-2008, 10:20 PM
... however, there is always room for at least every state if there is not one there already.Aesthetically speaking, there is no more room for new monuments at Antietam.