PDA

View Full Version : Question about small leather case w/bottles

LadyReb
07-05-2008, 01:01 PM
I bought from the widow of a collector a small leather case containing four glass bottles with corks. The case is 6 1/2 inches long, 4 1/2 inches wide and 1 inch deep. It is made of very soft leather with paper between the leather and the covering which seems to be a black rubbery material. It has a flap covering the top and a spring snap closure. This type snap was invented in 1885.

The four glass bottles are 6 1/4 inches long, including the cork and almost an inch in diameter. The corks have a non magnetic metal top, but one of the metal toppers has been broken off the cork.

My question is, what period is this? The snap being invented in 1885 I am thinking the 1890's. By WWI they would have been using something more modern.

I tried adding a photo, but don't know how to make it small enough.

Micah Trent
08-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Just curious,

Do these bottles have a greenish/bluish tint to them and numbers 1, 2, 3, or 4 on the bottom of the bottles? And is there, by chance, a makers name or mark on the outside or inside of the leather case?

Drygoods
08-07-2008, 12:12 PM
As a guess, it sounds like a homeopathic medicine kit from the 1880s. Homeopathy is a branch of medicine that gave people small doses of drugs to sick person, that would produce in a healthy person, symptoms similar to the disease. Sounds quackery to me.

Micah Trent
08-07-2008, 01:20 PM
My thought was a traveling doctor's medicine kit which I have seen displayed at the Hardin Memorial Hospital in Elizabethtown, KY. The description posted has similarities to what I have seen. The kit on display at the hosptial was used by doctors who made house calls, which was used going in to the turn of the century. However, I am not sure if those bottles are quite 6 inches long. Kind of hard to compare and contrast without photos or having the actual items in front of you.

LadyReb
08-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Just curious,

Do these bottles have a greenish/bluish tint to them and numbers 1, 2, 3, or 4 on the bottom of the bottles? And is there, by chance, a makers name or mark on the outside or inside of the leather case?

No to all the above. The glass is clear. The inside of the case is worn out and the cardboard lining is showing.

Micah Trent
08-11-2008, 02:43 PM
No to all the above. The glass is clear. The inside of the case is worn out and the cardboard lining is showing.

Ah, now you've really thrown a curveball at us with the cardboard thingy.:D
I have no clue now. Sorry I was no help.

LadyReb
08-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Ah, now you've really thrown a curveball at us with the cardboard thingy.:D
I have no clue now. Sorry I was no help.

Actually you have helped.

I mis spoke when I said cardboard. It is very thick paper.

"Doc" Nelson
08-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Hi LadyReb,
Have you looked through "period" photos? Also, check out www.braceface.com/medical/, there is some helpful info on there. And, you can also try "googling" 19th century medicine bottles and kits" and see what comes up.

Can you post some pics up on here?

Jas. Cox
08-15-2008, 05:47 PM

I tried adding a photo, but don't know how to make it small enough.

If you have any photo editing program, make the image 72 dpi and a natural size like 5 x 7.5. Or you can e-mail it to me and I can try and resize it and post it for you.

LadyReb
08-17-2008, 01:29 PM
I guess I will have to email them to you because changing to 72 dpi is still too large. Send me a pm with your address. And thanks.

Jas. Cox
08-18-2008, 09:18 PM
http://www.philosophic-photo.com/assets/internetposts/cwt4.jpg

http://www.philosophic-photo.com/assets/internetposts/cwt5.jpg

http://www.philosophic-photo.com/assets/internetposts/cwt6.jpg

LadyReb
08-19-2008, 07:55 AM
Thank you sir. Maybe someone will recognize this.

hanktrent
08-19-2008, 08:33 AM
Seems like figuring out what the labels say would go a long way toward helping. Can you get a clear image of them or tell what they say?

Hank Trent
hanktrent@voyager.net

Micah Trent
08-19-2008, 10:53 AM
It's good to see a photo up of what has been a mystery...well still is as of right now. :rolleyes:
But dang it, it was not what I was picturing at all.
Interesting piece though. I'm with Hank. Any clearity on what the labels say or what they look like?

LadyReb
08-19-2008, 05:48 PM
The labels may be an addition the collector made, but I don't know. He was a re-enactor and may have used the set for his impression.

The labels are white with a red border and are glued to the bottles. They look as if they have been on the bottles quite a while because the white has turned brown. The labels are salts, listeren, witch hazel and pepsin. They are hand written - two with modern pen and two with what may be a fountain pen.