PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Illinois Federal Units near Chicago

Hancock the Superb
07-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Hello and salutations,

I have since my early childhood had been infused with American Military History, in particular the Civil War. I have been interested in WWII history and own many militaria from that time. Including a full US Dress Uniform and other items.

Now I turn back to my first interest, the US Civil War. This is where I need your help, I am looking to find a Union Unit near Chicago. I am already very much infused with the Civil War, knowing a good sum of knowledge but wanting to learn more and be that much more wiser.

It would also be important to note, that I am 15, and wondering if I would be able to enlist in the ranks, and rather have to stay to a Civilian role. I wanted to really part take in this, before I go (I hope) to USMA. I have paintballed before for around 6 years. At Oklahoma D-Day, the world's largest paintball event, I had raised to a Captain rank in the 4th Infantry Division, lead Charlie Company in the 8th Regiment, around 50 paintballers from age 12-58 and I was treated with quite alot respect.

This leads me to yet another question, if you would please answer for me. Is the battles you partake in anything similar to paintball. I understand they are two very different things, especially from breech loading to large sums of paintballs. How do you go about this business of shooting each other? Does your chain of command speak in detail to the opposing sides to see how the engagement will go, it is all predecieded before a shot is fired, correct?

Thank you for time,

Hancock the Suberb

MarkTK36thIL
07-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Morning,
The best way to learn about reenacting is to come out for a weekend and try it. Rather than write a lengthy essay, I'd like to invite you to attend Wauconda, IL reenactment this weekend. We can talk there or have you come out and work around your schedule at one of our other events.

Our website is: www.B36thIllinois.org You can email me at: MarkTK36thIL@gmail.com
Events range from the midwest to the deep south. I will say, though, it's not very much like paintballing for the most part, but it's a different experience.

Best,
Mark

Hancock the Superb
07-06-2008, 04:52 PM
That is very good to hear! I planned on attending because it is the largest Reenactment in Illinois correct? I infact live in Wauconda.

Forgive my earlier ignorance; posts will be kept on topic and at a minimum.

Thank you for anwsering my question, and emailed.

Regards,

Hancock

MarkTK36thIL
07-06-2008, 05:36 PM
No worries, we'll get you squared away.

Check your email.
Mark

Hancock the Superb
07-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Mark,

Emailed back, I will see you guys at the Civil War Days at the Lake Forest Park Reserve. Thank you for the oppertunity,

Regards,
Kevin Skiera

8thILCavalry
07-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Come to Wauconda and look around to the many camps. Our group the 8th Illinois Cavalry is Mounted and also Dismounted.

RMhisteach
07-09-2008, 03:49 PM
While at the Wauconda event, you may want to take a look at and talk to the Cornfed Comrades. They will be doing Confed. Inf. If you are looking for a good multiple impression Progressively Authentic group. The Cornfeds should be considered.

Rod Miller

Hancock the Superb
07-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Well gentlemen, thank you, I will definitly come around to each of your respective camps. Thank you for your interest. I will however, might be with the 36th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment for future events. As again, I will make sure to come see your respective groups.

Best regards,