PDA

View Full Version : Reeactor Chat Rooms?

captain_kirk
06-25-2006, 10:07 AM
After a 25 years, raising my children and sending them to college, I am back in the line of battle. Many new inovations have come to pass, including this contraption called the PC. I am now 60 and just learning to use it. I would like to inquire if there are any chat rooms dedicated to this hobby.
Kirk Fuller
Captain, Co B. 4th Alabama (Alabama Zouves, AVC)
1st Corp. ANV
full8730@bellsouth. net

bill watson
06-25-2006, 01:04 PM
AOL used to have the Mason Dixon room, but I haven't been there for several years.

tompritchett
06-25-2006, 01:29 PM
There is also one over on the Authentic Campaigners forum.

indguard
06-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Tom,

Boy I don't think I'd send him into the lion's den like that seeing as how he is saying he is "just back in" the hobby! It might chase him right back out before he has a chance to get his bearings!

Mr. Kirk, the AC Forum is for really serious inquiry and not just a regular message board. It is a very specific format for specific subjects. Don't go there imagining it is a casual place. They'll kick you off so fast it'll make your head spin.

How long have you been out of the hobby, Mr. Kirk?

WTH

TeamsterPhil
06-25-2006, 09:29 PM
WTH,

AOL has changed a bit over the last few years. There is noeasily found place for that type of discourse anymore. There is still the Mason-Dixon room -- it is a silly place, mostly dedicated to trivia contests several nights a week. (Bill, don't bother to use your link if you have it saved) There is also an almost totally ignored CWReenactors room. It is almost totally ignored due to a couple of vile trolls and AOL's dismissal of all Hosts (and therefore instant enforcement of rules and regulations). There are a couple of "private" rooms on AOL, and any AOL member can set one up. The A-C chat room is quite underutilized, as is the chat room of the Off Topic Boys Forum.

Maybe Mr. Szabo and his cadre of overworked provosts would be willing to take up yet another task.

Well, maybe the guys over at the CCG forum...............

Phil Campbell

ley74
06-25-2006, 10:00 PM
Listen to Tom. Head over to the AC and lurk for a while. Learn to use the search function and join in. You will understand faster than most, what it is about. The whiners are just that.

On the other hand, the Oklahoma Tourism Bureau (OTB) would be throwing you to the lions. Just kidding.

Sgt_Pepper
06-26-2006, 01:57 AM
Maybe Mr. Szabo and his cadre of overworked provosts would be willing to take up yet another task.
Phil Campbell

In both my families (blood and service) we have a tradition: Whomever comes up with a suggestion to do something new is usually the one tasked with implementing it. We'd be delighted to welcome you into the Moderator's Inner Sanctum, Mr. Campbell. Shall I propose this to the other moderators and put you forward as the candidate for Chat Room Moderator?

tompritchett
06-26-2006, 09:55 AM
Personally, I would not have a problem with a chat room although I extremely doubt that I would ever use it. However, due to the real-time nature of the discussions, I would expect that it would need a dedicated moderator whose sole responsibility would be to monitor it. I know that Phil has moderated over on other forums including the ultimate flame war forum, the OTB, but I am curious whether or not he would have the time for such a new responsibility. Comments Phil since we are talking about you?

TeamsterPhil
06-27-2006, 05:52 PM
I would be willing to moderate a chat room under some slight conditions. I would be willing to devote a night or two per week (weeknight preferably) for two or three hours per session. I'd be willing to host chats on specific topics (assuming I can line up some "experts") or the good old "open topic free-for-all".

Phil Campbell

youngpup69
01-03-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm new in reenacting. After about 15 years of trying to find a unit I found the 10th MO. I would like too get a chat room up. We need to get to gether and get one up. I would be willing to do my part in seting one up.

YOURS TRULY
PRIVAT GOODWIN
THE 10TH MO.

7thNJcoA
01-03-2008, 01:38 PM
I work from home alot and am always on this forum and would be more than willing to help moderate a chat room.

flattop32355
01-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Boy I don't think I'd send him into the lion's den like that seeing as how he is saying he is "just back in" the hobby! It might chase him right back out before he has a chance to get his bearings!

Yes, we should send him to something tame, easy to get around in, friendly.

Let's send him to the OTB...

TheSignalCorpsGuy
01-04-2008, 01:55 AM
In both my families (blood and service) we have a tradition: Whomever comes up with a suggestion to do something new is usually the one tasked with implementing it. We'd be delighted to welcome you into the Moderator's Inner Sanctum, Mr. Campbell. Shall I propose this to the other moderators and put you forward as the candidate for Chat Room Moderator?

Chat Room moderator, etc... Whatever you need - let me know. I'm available. (also a web-designer by the day job!)

dedogtent
01-04-2008, 03:11 PM
I retired on Oct. 31 so I have a bit of free time. I have been in the hobby 12 years with the 2nd Delaware. I would be willing to help out through the week.