PDA

View Full Version : The 95th PA, gosline's zouaves

skamikaze
06-20-2006, 11:22 AM
we are a newly formed unit of veteran reenactors out of the lancaster area with members from all over pa/md and we are looking for new recruits. we are a pround member of vincent's brigade.

since we are doing a late war impression our uniform is the same as a standard federal impression, except for the jacket, which is a zouave cut with 26 buttons down the front (13 per side) and red piping. we are having ours made at memories past in gettysburg. we use either springfields or enfields and belong to the sixth corps.

we are a family freindly unit with a strong emphasis on authenticity without being fanatical or demeaning about it. we are a great unit for those of you just starting and those who are looking to do a second impression.

we have a myspace account for those of you who use that or you can contact our recruiting officer:

sgt. eric wilson
skamikaze1005@hotmail.com
(301) 223-8127

Ephraim_Zook
06-30-2006, 02:49 PM
I must be getting old. I had to look three times before I was sure that it didn't read "gasoline's zouaves".

VaTrooper
06-30-2006, 05:51 PM
Its not just the older people.

BobSullivanPress
07-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Maybe this will help. Here's an image of one of the envelopes I've reproduced.

VaTrooper
07-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Thats sweet Bob. Do you have a website?

Ephraim_Zook
07-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Bill,

You're right about it not just being the old guys. His signature says

"Bob Sullivan
Sullivan Press
www.sullivanpress.com "

VaTrooper
07-01-2006, 04:21 PM
LOL, now you dont have to take my word on it.

skamikaze
07-01-2006, 09:54 PM
bob,

that evelope is beautiful.

skamikaze
08-05-2006, 09:54 PM
i just met a potential recruit today who told me that a unit he had tried to join would not let him even be involved unitl he was 16.

we are not that kind of unit.

we dont let just anyone on the feild but if you can prove that you are mature enough to handle a musket we will help you get out on the field.

we dont want to turn anyone away from the hobby.

signalcorpsman
08-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Doesnt that go against most event guidelines? But then again, when's the last time you saw a mainstream event that followed most of the rules........

Tom McDonald

Altecfive
08-14-2006, 06:31 AM
Tom,

The best way to put it or the way we look at it is. In PA where our headquarters for our company is you are allowed to fire a live weapon at 12 years old. This is allowed with proper training, aka the hunters safety course. And a person 18 years or older accompanying you. So, if someone can carry a gun and fire a live round, why cant he fire a blank in a rifle, if he can go through our safety course and proove himself.

Ephraim_Zook
08-14-2006, 09:51 AM
Courtney,

Here's my take on it:

If you are hunting, you are probably in a relatively small party, maybe only the minor and dad or the minor and an older companion. You are probably spread out over a wide area. You can dedicate lots of attention to the terrain and the surroundings. The older person can place himself in a position where he can monitor the action of the youngster while remaining out of harm's way. The potential for injury is, to some extent, minimized.

At a reenactment, I really don't want a 12-year-old with a gun in close proximity to me. He can be competent, well-trained, and firing blanks, but a young child can also be much more excitable than an adult and more inclined to carelessness/forgetfullness in his enthusiasm. And in the excitement of following commands and moving with the masses he can easily forget to watch his step, watch where his muzzle is pointed, and so forth. And even if you are behind him in the ranks, you are still doing your own thing at the same time that he is doing his, not carefully watching his every move.

Young man with a gun in the ranks? Wrong move.

Altecfive
08-14-2006, 09:58 AM
There are just as dangerous older people. I watch guys who are cocky and load double rounds just cause they can, aim directly at troops because they want to be more in the moment and much more. my oppinion is you train them young proper handling of the weapon you get away from the ego I know all older people. FYI we have no 12 year olds who actually are on the field with a weapon. I have never heard of a person getting injured who was young. I know of many units who are taking the field with 14 and 13 year olds in the ranks. Our youngest is 15 who has taken the field in a small event. I can recal many older guys who get excited in the moment and injury themselves and other people because they double load, put extra rounds, dont do firing techniques. Age honestly has nothing to do with how good of a soldier they can be. Its a matter of proper training and discipline.

georgia
08-14-2006, 04:43 PM
personnelly i dont mind youngsters in the ranks. exspecially teenagers. to me im proud to see teenagers out there dedicating his or her time to the hobby. even though there parents got them into it its still nice to see that we the younger generation still cares about history. i believe that if a under age participant is fully cappable of the firing techniques and has a gaurdian with him, let them do it. they could make a test were the provost watch and give commands to see if they are capable. i do not think that a person younger than fourteen should attend an event more than 2,000. thats a good bit of rifles and alot to watch out for.

signalcorpsman
08-15-2006, 10:19 PM
To me it was more a question of following rules at events. If in pennsylvania the rules are at age 12 you can carry a firearm then fine. I had not previously heard of that, but Ive only been to several events in southern PA. Most events I attend usually specify that at the age of 16 you are allowed to carry a firearm. But as I said before most of the mainstream events dont enforce their own rules, but thats a whole other thread.

Tom McDonald

iron_schweick90
08-16-2006, 10:46 AM
i cant find your myspace account can u post a link?

Altecfive
08-16-2006, 02:20 PM
http://www.myspace.com/95thpa

skamikaze
08-16-2006, 11:09 PM
we follow them to the t.

when we do events out of state, where they have shooting rules for underage participants, we enforce those rules.

we did an event this year in harpers ferry where one of our guys could not shoot because he was fifteen so we did not let him

Altecfive
08-17-2006, 02:59 PM
Campaign events we do not allow 15 year olders or younger taking the field either.