PDA

View Full Version : Best battlefield preservation org?

JonWhite
06-19-2006, 04:38 PM
I am looking to donate some money (a few hundred dollars) to a battlefield preservation organization and was curious which one is the most efficient with their money (smallest overhead)? I don't want to give money to rent office space or buy glossy brochures, but to preserve battlefields, especially the Shenandoah Valley.
Anybody have a feel for the reputations of the CVBT, CWPT, or Shenandoah Valley Battlefield Trust?
Thanks in advance.

dustyswb
06-19-2006, 06:34 PM
All three orgs will fit your criteria.

CVBT has all volunteer staff. No one is paid.

I believe SVBF only has one paid person

CWPT has a small staff, maybe 25 for the entire country.

CWPT has the most overhead, but it is a small percentage of your money.

All are deserving. Current projects for CWPT include the Slaughter Pen farm in Fredericksburg, which they paid $12 million. CVBT gave them $1 million, so refilling their coffers would be ok also.

Hope that helps. There is a charity rating website somewhere that may answer your questions with real numbers. Sorry I don't know it.

JonWhite
06-20-2006, 02:02 AM
All three orgs will fit your criteria.

CVBT has all volunteer staff. No one is paid.

I believe SVBF only has one paid person

CWPT has a small staff, maybe 25 for the entire country.

CWPT has the most overhead, but it is a small percentage of your money.

All are deserving. Current projects for CWPT include the Slaughter Pen farm in Fredericksburg, which they paid $12 million. CVBT gave them $1 million, so refilling their coffers would be ok also.

Hope that helps. There is a charity rating website somewhere that may answer your questions with real numbers. Sorry I don't know it.Thanks, Dusty. That is exactly the type of info I was looking for.

Miss L
07-07-2006, 01:09 PM
Jon & Dusty (and anyone else 'listening in')

Charity Navigator
http://www.charitynavigator.org/