PDA

View Full Version : 6th New York Cavalry Monument (Gettysburg)

3rd_PA_Artillery
06-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Does anybody know how the 6th NY Cavalry Monument at Gettysburg is doing? It was struck by lightning a few months ago and a chunk got taken off of it. Then they took the whole monument out for repair and I lost track of it. Anyone know how it's going?

Brian Wolle
06-17-2008, 12:11 PM
I'll bet people like Spiros Marinos and Bill Ciampi who both own stores up there would know. They know everything what goes on in that town.

How to reach them...
Bill owns Abe's antiques and Spiros that sutlery on Baltimore Pike just below the crest of Cemetery Hill.

Regimental_Officer
06-17-2008, 12:25 PM
The last i heard and that was 3 weeks ago they are trying to restore the monument without having to replace it with a new one. The monument dates to 1889 so it would be difficult to piece it back together because it is composed of rough hewn and smooth granite it will be expensive to repair the estimate was a little over 100,000 because not just the spot where the lightning hit was damaged but the stone that makes up the monument shifted and damaged the monument inside out. I don't think you will see it back anytime soon.

Miss L
06-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Gentlemen:
I was at Gettysburg back on June 6th and we took a drive out to the first dayís field specifically to see the monument.
Work had been completed a couple weeks before that. If someone didnít tell you, you probably would never know it had been damaged.
Kudos to the Park Service.

Regimental_Officer
06-24-2008, 04:44 AM
Gentlemen:
I was at Gettysburg back on June 6th and we took a drive out to the first day’s field specifically to see the monument.
Work had been completed a couple weeks before that. If someone didn’t tell you, you probably would never know it had been damaged.
Kudos to the Park Service.

Wooo hooo indeed Kudos!!!