PDA

View Full Version : 20th maine monument (Big Round top)

Regimental_Officer
05-28-2008, 04:17 PM
I was recently up on Big round top in Gettysburg looking at my relatives monument of the 119th P.V.I and next to it is a 20th Maine Monument and it looks like it is neglected with green mold on the base and the monument was dirty. I thought with the fame of the 20th Maine it would sparkle like it's counterpart on Little round top. Does anyone know if it has a sponser for cleaning or does anyone other than me know it's there? If anyone knows who is in charge of the monument please let me know

3rd_PA_Artillery
06-09-2008, 05:04 PM
I know what you mean, it's just filthy. Of course it is neglected, I mean barely anyone goes up to Big Round Top, and those who do turn around half way there because of the steep climb. None of the tourists know that the 20th was even on Big Round Top. They watched "Gettysburg" and assumed, just like in the movie, that the 20th went to the center of the line on the third day. Then when they get to the center, the search for a half an hour and finally say "Where's the 20th Maine marker?," and then someone of higher knowledge, like us, has to explain to them that the regiment's journey to the High Water Mark was entirely fictitious.

USMRR
06-09-2008, 05:26 PM
... it looks like it is neglected with green mold on the base and the monument was dirty.

No grass or undergrown surrounds the monument so rain hitting the dirt splashes up muddy water droplets onto the stone. Don't know if there is much that can be done about that other than to pave the area surrounding the marker and I don't think that would be attractive or compatable with the natural surroundings.

The "green mold" is actually lichen and is found on trees, boulders, tombstones and monuments in wooded areas all over the battlefield. A common myth about lichen is that they "eat" the stone they live on. Not true. Scrubbing them off the monument will not help preserve the stone at all and may only do harm to the monument itself; you'll never get a crustose lichen off a rock and keep the rock's surface intact. Lichen can actually protect the underlying stone from the weathering effects of wind, rain and frost. They also indicate the presence of clean air, which is why so few monuments next to the tour roads have any lichen growth. Auto emissions kills it. Too much sunlight will also retard its growth. It needs some sun, but prefers shade to grow in.

Lichen are good. I think they give the backwoods monuments a dignified look, like a grey beard on a wise old man.

http://gburginfo.brinkster.net/20thMeBRT1.jpg

Regimental_Officer
06-09-2008, 08:17 PM
No grass or undergrown surrounds the monument so rain hitting the dirt splashes up muddy water droplets onto the stone. Don't know if there is much that can be done about that other than to pave the area surrounding the marker and I don't think that would be attractive or compatable with the natural surroundings.

The "green mold" is actually lichen and is found on trees, boulders, tombstones and monuments in wooded areas all over the battlefield. A common myth about lichen is that they "eat" the stone they live on. Not true. Scrubbing them off the monument will not help preserve the stone at all and may only do harm to the monument itself; you'll never get a crustose lichen off a rock and keep the rock's surface intact. Lichen can actually protect the underlying stone from the weathering effects of wind, rain and frost. They also indicate the presence of clean air, which is why so few monuments next to the tour roads have any lichen growth. Auto emissions kills it. Too much sunlight will also retard its growth. It needs some sun, but prefers shade to grow in.

Lichen are good. I think they give the backwoods monuments a dignified look, like a grey beard on a wise old man.

http://gburginfo.brinkster.net/20thMeBRT1.jpg

Pvt. Brandon T. Benner,
Your last post was educational i had no idea about "lichen". I'm so used to seeing the other monuments in good condition and seeing that one just broke my heart. I see it all the time when i go see my great great grandfathers units monument right next to it. As long as it is not harmful to the monument i guess i can live with it and your comment about the "grey beard" made me laugh but in the same time made more sense to the point that i agree with you. Thank you for sharing that information with me.

Brian Wolle
06-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Yeah. Good deal. Print that in a magazine somewhere.