PDA

View Full Version : The USN needs artillery.

nyczouave
06-16-2006, 09:37 AM
Gentleman,
I am posting this for my friend ENS Will King, a member of thhe 5th New York who is currently stationed on the USS Fort McHenry:

The USS Fort McHenry, a US Navy amphibious assault ship, is scheduled to return from a six-month deployment just in time for this yearís Fourth of July festivities. In celebration of the occasion, the ship will be docking in Baltimore where it will honor itís namesake fort with a 21-gun salute. However, there is one problem Ė the USS Fort McHenry, though armed with missiles and hi-tech countermeasures, has no saluting battery. To remedy this, we have received special permission to embark period artillery pieces and their crews for this historic event. Participants will embark upon the ship on the morning of Friday June 30th (location TBA) and disembark that afternoon from the pier in Baltimore. Because of our amphibious capabilities we can embark the artillery and supporting vehicles, i.e. trucks and trailers.

Interested parties should contact ENS William King, USN at kingw@fort-mchenry.navy.mil as soon as possible. Initial inquiries should include type of piece, number of crew, unit represented and name and contact info of person in charge. Artillery of all eras will be considered for this event.

Respectfully,

ENS William King, USN
5th New York Vol. Inf.
Duryee's Zouaves

Remise
06-16-2006, 03:03 PM
This is a great idea. If you need infantry, too, I am sure you will be swamped with volunteers! If a time comes when you have a good idea when the ship will be sailing by the fort, I am sure a lot of us locals would like to drive down to see this event.

B.C. Milligan
First Penna. Reserves, Company K

Gary
06-17-2006, 12:01 AM
I'd volunteer just to be on a warship and to help fire a BP cannon. Darn.

Funny but some ships have small saluting cannons which are one man portable. Seems like they've been cut of from the budget.