PDA

View Full Version : Milk Creek Sutlery - update

NoahBriggs
05-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Milk Creek Sutlery has been busy expanding their line of medical products. I direct your attention specifically to their pill roller (http://milkcreek.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21&products_id=474)

Unfortunately some of their products are mislabeled. Their "vein retractors" on page 3 are actually the chain retractors used during a dissection to pull tissue back. This was borrowed from the Archer dissection kit, as was the bone chisel on page 1.

hta1970
05-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Noah,

Looks interesting. I have been looking at invoices and standard supply tables and the "pill machine" shows on the standard supply table for hospitals in the CS service, but not for field service. For the field service they has the pill tile, which the hospitals also had in their standard supply table.

Seems like it might be a nice item to have for a hospital, but I'd want to see invoice documentation before someone lugged this out to an event. It's like the Chisolm inhaler in the display of most medical impressions and most cretainly in federal impressions. Nice, but entirely incorrect to have in the field.

Would be better to get a pill tile and spatula and demonstate how they were used.

Hope they come out with more nice goods, like pill tiles and spatulas!

Jas. Cox
05-21-2008, 09:35 PM
I'm still looking for a template for a suture card with the appropriate wording on it. Hint, hint. I see they have one, but $10 plus shipping is a bit much and I cannot tell what, if anything is printed on it.

cwmed
05-28-2008, 03:16 PM
I heard at one time that there was talk of mill creek doing an amputation kit is this acurate??

Luke A Castleberry

mmartin4600
05-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Occasionally they carry a Surgeons Pocket Kit which has the Vein Retractors, Scalpels, Tennaculum, Suture card, needles, bone saw and for some odd reason the bone chisel (but no hammer). It's all contained in a wood case ala E.G. Archer and Son. I don't see one currently listed on the website. You may try contacting them directly. I have seen one first hand and I was not impressed. Sometimes they are on E-bay too.

Michael Martin

David Meister
05-28-2008, 08:16 PM
I have seen the milk creek kit next to the archer kit they are almost the same D@mn thing! I also have it on good authorty they are made by the same overseas maker. For a reproduction I think they are pretty good but not original quality.

NoahBriggs
05-29-2008, 08:56 AM
That's because their "surgeon's pocket kit" is a direct copy of the Archer postmortem dissection kit. And that's what bothers me; the accidental or deliberate misrepresntation of the instruments therein. You don't need a bone chisel in a kit for live patients, and it's useless without the hammer. The "vein retractors" are chain retractors for pulling back the skin/muscle tissue in one pull when dissecting.

retter
05-29-2008, 09:40 AM
I called Milk Creek about 3 weeks ago, inquiring about their "pocket kit". They were sold out but the owner said they would be getting in some more in a month or so and may also be getting some larger amputating kits. Their kit is about $250 less than Archer's but I don't think it's as good (going strictly on pics and contents list).

csa steward
06-10-2008, 06:39 PM
hi, what is there web site. do they got any liters or not or cananybody how do one.keith

"Doc" Nelson
06-10-2008, 06:45 PM
hi, what is there web site. do they got any liters or not or cananybody how do one.keith
Hey Keith,
Here ya go . . http://www.milkcreek.com/about.html.

MMurphy
06-10-2008, 06:47 PM
The latest issue of the Camp Chase Gazette has a letter in it from a very angry and dissatisfied customer in dealing with Milk Creek. I've personally never had any problem with them, (even with the ebay purchases), but this guy seemed to have gotten into a real p*****g match with them...

:(

Charles Weathers
06-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Just my personal experience, all of my uniforms come from Milk Creek and so do a lot of my battery member's and they are great. They also tailor them to hide my "female appearance" which is a plus. Very nice, prompt, good prices.

fred franze
07-11-2008, 09:05 AM
Concerning Milk Creek's medical supplies, I have just looked them up and I find that the pill roller and the surgeon's pocket set are a good reproduction of the originals. I personnaly own an original pill roller that was bought at a shop in Gettysburg and their repro. is an exact copy. Fort Delaware (where I do a medical impression) owns the original pocket surgical set that belonged to Dr. Washington Nugent. It contains essentially the same instruments as found in Milk Creek's repro. set. There is a bone chisel in Nugent's set as well, but two tenaculums in the Milk Creek set are not found in the original. All in all, I think the Milk Creek set is pretty accurate and not too pricy.
Fred Franze

retter
07-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Milk Creek has their "surgeons pocket kit" back in stock. The difference between theirs and the Archer kit is the exclusion of several items. The Archer kit has in addition 1. bone file instead of chisel 2. straight scissors 3. small amputating knife blade 4. bullet probe 5. field tourniquet 6. more surgeons needles. There is also the cost. Milk Creek- $250, Archer-$550. These comparisons are made based solely on the contents listed on the websites.

mmartin4600
07-11-2008, 05:35 PM
I talked with Teresa (owner of Milk Creek) last weekend. She said she will be stocking Capital Amputation kits soon. We'll see.

"Doc" Nelson
08-12-2008, 08:53 PM
No one ever said you had to have an entire pocket kit. If you want to have instruments, just buy a few "necessary" items for field use (i.e. forceps, bullet probe, suture kit, etc.). Heck, not all doctors in the field had the luxury of being in possession of a kit anyway. If you can swing it, just buy a valise or saddle bags and, fill it with bandages, a few instruments, maybe a stethoscope and, a couple of medicine bottles of pain stimulants (i.e. opium, etc.). Your kit should be constructed to fit your impression.

If you're impression is an Assistant Surgeon . . then, go light. As you would most likely end up out in the field during battle. So, it would probably be somewhat difficult carrying all that "furniture and equipment", especially with no pack mule ;) .

If you're impression is that of a Surgeon then, you're gonna end up spending a decent amount of money on gear and equipment (to do it correctly).