PDA

View Full Version : 16th NC Regiment or 6th NC Volunteers, Co N

ElijahsGrtGranddaughter
05-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Under Cpt. Harrill's Cmde.

I don't know which Unit with the 16th NC, but I'm looking for anyone with either of these 2 units.

My Great Grandfather served with both and I'd like to see about joining one of these units.

Kind Regards,

Kerri Baker
Descendent of Elisha W. Baker
*screen name grossly misspel of his name*

Longbranch 1
05-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Ms Baker,

I found ELISHA Baker, Pvt., Co. E, 16th NC. The 16th was made up of men from the western ( mountain) counties of NC.
Not sure which county Co. E would have drawn from. I don't know of a specific 16th NC reenactment group.

I did not find your ancestor under either spelling on the rolls of the 6th NC, but those records can be spotty.

Now for a shameless plug. Google Carolina Legion and check it out .
One of the affiliated units is the 6th NCST out of Raleigh. I believe they will be at Pamplin Park June 22nd? But check the entire Legion site out. Very heavily history and preservation oriented. The 26th NC has an excellent SBS chapter.
I will contact a pard in the 26th who is currently researching the 16th NC and get back to you with more details if found.

Hope this helps,
Kevin Ellis,
26th NC

ElijahsGrtGranddaughter
05-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Ms Baker,

I found ELISHA Baker, Pvt., Co. E, 16th NC. The 16th was made up of men from the western ( mountain) counties of NC.
Not sure which county Co. E would have drawn from. I don't know of a specific 16th NC reenactment group.

I did not find your ancestor under either spelling on the rolls of the 6th NC, but those records can be spotty.

Now for a shameless plug. Google Carolina Legion and check it out .
One of the affiliated units is the 6th NCST out of Raleigh. I believe they will be at Pamplin Park June 22nd? But check the entire Legion site out. Very heavily history and preservation oriented. The 26th NC has an excellent SBS chapter.
I will contact a pard in the 26th who is currently researching the 16th NC and get back to you with more details if found.

Hope this helps,
Kevin Ellis,
26th NC

Kevin,

Thank you for that. My screenname was created in hast, before my father offered me the correct spelling of my Grt Grandfather's properly spelled name and middel initial.

I'll check out the Legion, but as for June 22nd, I'll be in Ohio participating in another hobby, Element Owner's Club (http://www.elementownersclub.com).

But Perhaps I can meet up with you later in the year when I finally get to visit my family in Hickory.

Kind Regards,

Kerri

madisontigers
05-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Kerri,

Glad to see someone posting about the 16th NC.. Co. E, 16th North Carolina Infantry, was recruited from Burke County, NC. The 16th, for the most part, consisted of companies out of Western North Carolina. Burke county is actually considered a 'foothill' county, not a mountain county. I reside in Buncombe county, one of the Western counties considered to be 'mountain'. I had a 3x Uncle who served in the 16th, and as a result, I plan on incorporating a 16th NC impression into one of our events this year. I am working on a research project, a project that is geared towards NC regiments that consisted of counties from the mountains of NC. If you are interested in any additional information, and if you are willing to do a bit of research, shoot me a PM.

Regards,

David Long