PDA

View Full Version : Western Theater CS Blue Jean Cloth

D1861
06-15-2006, 12:42 AM
Greetings,
I am trying to track down information on the issuance of blue jean wool trousers to Confederates in Mississippi, specifically those who served in the Vicksburg campaign. While I have seen primary sources posted online establishing the fact that numerous western Confederate units wore blue jean wool trousers, I am having difficulty determining the exact shade or weave. At present, Tart only sells Saxon, which I understand is a very bright electric blue. Childs on the other hand sells two types. One is looks very much like Union enlisted trousers, except that it is jean wool instead of 100% wool, and the other fabric looks like denim. Do any of you have experience with these fabrics and any sources on which would be closest to authentic?

Anon,

David Slay
Vicksburg National Military Park

tenfed1861
06-15-2006, 02:31 PM
Sir,you need to remember that not every batch of coloring and weave would have been the same.The chemicals in the coloring would be different every time,so there really isn't an exact color you could go with.The weave would be slightly diffrerent too.The uniforms material/color wasn't going to look the same every time.Just go with what gives you the best example of uniforms for troops during Vicksburg.
Cullen Smith