PDA

View Full Version : New Market - Looking for someone to fall in with

tompritchett
04-28-2008, 11:18 AM
I have a small group of confederates who are looking for a unit to fall in with at New Market. We are part of 1rst Bn ANV but, as far as I aware, none of the other companies in the Bn are attending the event this year. Currently it looks like that I will have just approximately a 1/2 dozen rifles and a couple of civilians with me, including myself and excluding a fresh fish who I definitely would not be sending to the field on Saturday and possibly not on Sunday either (he literally signed up this past weekend and I am planning to use the event more as a chance to drill him and bring up up to speed rather than actually use him as a rifle in battle). We would be providing our own food and cooking so we would not be a logistic drag and there would be no expectations of us holding rank, although, I have past experience as a 2nd SGT if your unit needs one. Kick me a PM, if you are interested in providing us a home. Thank you.

Anders
04-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Tom,

Can't help out, unless you want to go Federal, but we will be sure to find you on the field!

Pards,

Stonewall_Greyfox
04-28-2008, 12:52 PM
I have a small group of confederates who are looking for a unit to fall in with at New Market. We are part of 1rst Bn ANV but, as far as I aware, none of the other companies in the Bn are attending the event this year. Currently it looks like that I will have just approximately a 1/2 dozen rifles and a couple of civilians with me, including myself and excluding a fresh fish who I definitely would not be sending to the field on Saturday and possibly not on Sunday either (he literally signed up this past weekend and I am planning to use the event more as a chance to drill him and bring up up to speed rather than actually use him as a rifle in battle). We would be providing our own food and cooking so we would not be a logistic drag and there would be no expectations of us holding rank, although, I have past experience as a 2nd SGT if your unit needs one. Kick me a PM, if you are interested in providing us a home. Thank you.

Tom,

Sorry I too will be unable to provide you a home for the event.

The VMI CWRT will be set up around the farmhouse for the weekend. The VMI cadets will be drilling most of the day on Saturday in preperation for the Battle on Sunday...manual being used Hardees (non-revised).

I'm not sure of the age of your recruits, but if they're 16-25...I am sure we could assist in drilling them during the day Saturday.

Best of luck in finding a home...possibly check with Longstreets Corps or CMF??

Paul B.

P.S. I will be following up in another posts with cadet impression "guidelines"...

Anders
04-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Good thought, the CMF is going to be there in force, drop them a line.

Pards,

Chuck A Luck
04-28-2008, 03:11 PM
I have a small group of confederates who are looking for a unit to fall in with at New Market...
Another thought, in case you're still looking.

Some of the fellows from 2nd Maryland, Co. H (PACS, 2nd Regt. www.geocities.com/maryland_2nd_company_h/ ) will be attending this event in gray. Normally we field around 20 or so for this event, but this year some of us are (for the 1st time) electing to go as Federals with Co. A, CVG. However, those of 2nd Md w/o such blue wool will still be attending as Confederates.

If you'd like me to put you in touch with some of the group that will be attending as gray, email or PM me. I'm sure they'd appreciate having their depleted ranks somewhat reinforced.

Capt Terry
04-29-2008, 10:27 AM

Tom,

I know you have Kentucky connections, the 1st Kentucky would be honored to have you and your guys.

VA Soldier
04-29-2008, 01:01 PM
The 51st VA is looking for some more people to fill out our ranks as we will be unusually down at New Market.
I am sure the Captain would welcome the extra rifles...

While we would love to have you, you can't go wrong with the 1st KY either.

Yours Truly

Allen Jackson

51st VA Co D

Capt Terry
05-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Tom,

Feel free to email me if you have any questions. I think you and your folks would find our unit to be very comfortable to fall in with. We take our drill, camp and impressions seriously. We have a very good company as some of the greatest guys you would like to meet. Our civilians are fantastic.

Email me at: OldKentucky@embarqmail.com

mmescher
05-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Tom,

We will have 2 muskets and some civilians from the 42nd Virginia.

If you want to stay in ANV, what we have done in the past when the numbers are small is to fall in with the ANV contingent. Last year there weren't many at New Market from all battalions combined. Maybe about 40 - 50 muskets.

Sgt. Michael Mescher

Stonewall_Greyfox
05-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Gentlemen,

If your'e between the ages of 16 and 25, and have an interest in portraying a VMI Cadet at the Battle of New Market...the following should serve as "guidelines" towards this impression:

Headware:

Kepi/Low-Crowned Military Cap: Black "Navy-Blue"
McDowell Brim Forage Cap: Black "Navy-Blue"
Kepi/Low-Crowned Military Cap: Of color other than Black "Navy-Blue"

Jacket:

VMI Cadet Jacket: 6-piece body 5-9 button front, of the following materials; broadcloth, cassimere, jeans cloth. Colors will vary between cadet-grey, oxford brown, and sheep's grey...with a preference towards cadet-grey.

NC Jacket: ?

Richmond Depot III: 6-piece body, Blue-Grey English Kersey

Trousers:

Examination of original trousers and photographic evidence suggest a slight variation in trousers. Trousers should be high waisted, may/may not have pockets...trousers leg may have the following features: no trim, integral welted seam of black wool, woolen tape (ranging from 1.25-1.5 inches).If possible, please try to match the trouser fabric to that of the jacket.

Vest:

Vest may be of civilian or military patterns...if using a military vest, try to match the fabric of the jacket/trousers.

Shirt: An examination of the Institute regulations and the wartime cadet images, specify and exclusively show the use of white shirts...at this point not enough research has been completed to define a particular cut/pattern of the shirt, but please try to wear a white shirt if possible.

Shoes: Military Shoes, should be blackened

Waist Belt: Black Waistbelt, with "Harness" buckle...typically interpreted to be a roller buckle. Belt width may vary 1.25-2.25 inches (internal dimension)

Cap Pouch:

Shield Front Cap Pouch (Black)
Other variation Cap Pouch

Bayonet Scabbard:

Gaylord Style Bayonet Scabbard, with Brass "Springfield" tip. (Black)
Other variation Scabbard

Cartridge Box:

0.58 cal cartridge box, with tins. Should have belt loops on back.
Other Variation Cartridge Box

Note: All accoutrements to be worn on waistbelt only (no use of box-belts "slings").

Canteen: Wooden "Gardner" style canteen.

Rifle/Musket:

M1854 Austrian Lorenze Rifle
M1851 Cadet Musket
M1861 Springfield Rifle-Musket
P1853 British Enfield Rifle-Musket

Drill Manual: Rifle and Light Infantry Tactics; for the exercise and maoeuvers of troops when acting as light infantry or riflemen. Prepared under the direction of the War Department, by Brevet Lieut.-Col. W.J. Hardee (Richmond, Va.: J.W. Randolph, 1861). Note: this is a printing of the 1855 manual, not revised.

Note: No knapsacks, blanket rolls, or haversacks should be worn into the battle. Documentation exists and is available through reading information contained in the VMI Archives, as well as several books that explicitly state that the cadets stripped down for battle, removing blanket rolls, haversacks, etc. at the base of Shirley's Hill (present site of 7-11).

Note: These are intended to be guidelines only, and are not rules for participation in the event.

The VMI CWRT will be attending this event and conducting a Living History throughout the weekend camped around the Bushong Farmhouse. If you are interested in participating in the VMI Cadet Impression, can meet a good portion of these guidelines, and attend the Saturday drill session (led by VMI Cadets), please feel free to contact me via PM or email: paulboulden[at]hotmail.com. The senior cadets of the Virginia Military Institute will be travelling through the CS Camps Friday evening and Saturday morning in search of recruits.

Note: Contrary to popular opinion, the Cadets were not wearing "frock-coats" at the battle, nor coatees (coat with tails and 44 brass buttons~abandoned in Spring of 1861), nor white trousers. For a good idea of what the cadets were wearing into battle take a look in the Hall of Valor museum at the uniform of Francis L. Smith, and the Rifle & Accoutrements of Charles Read.

For a more lengthy discussion on the Civil War era Cadet, please visit the following thread from a few months ago: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4946&page=4&highlight=cadet

Additional Information May be found through the VMI Archives: http://www.vmi.edu/archives.aspx?id=3719&ekmensel=fb5d653b_72_0_3719_8

If you have any questions about these guidelines or questions of topics not discussed here...please do not hesitate to ask via; post, PM or email.

Paul B.

Capt Terry
05-20-2008, 09:26 AM

Tom,

I just wanted to take the opportunity to tell you it was great to meet you and your folks. We enjoyed having you in our ranks and the offer remains open should the need arise for future events. I regret I didn't get to talk with you more, but duties kept me going as well as Miss Kris.

Sacred DIrt!

Capt Terry

tompritchett
05-20-2008, 10:13 AM
I regret that I have not yet had to the time to send you an email thanking me for the opportunity to fall in with the 1rst Ky. Thank you very much. I and the members of my unit enjoyed being guests of the 1rst Ky and would have no hestitation in joining with you at future events at which our parent Bn is not attending. Your people are a great group and do honor to my home state.