PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Authors and historians

2nd_mi_johnny
04-23-2008, 07:49 AM
Greetings one and all of my fellow reenactor’s. I would like to invite you all to join me in the co-authoring of a book set in the civil war. It will be a historical fiction that takes place from early February 1860, threw the first battle of Manassas/bull run. The primary purpose of this book is to give some more depth and understanding, for the general public; of what the climate was like for the various farmers, and other brave boys that enlisted (Specifically from Michigan) from the time that war was pretty much emanate from the view of the point of the media that was readily available to the masses , on threw the out break of war, threw their enlistment into the military, and then to their experiences in the induction camp at Fort Wayne in Detroit, Then Onto Washington, and finally the chaos, confusion, and carnage of their first battle. If any one would be at all interested about collaborating on this book please let me know.

YOS
Hospital Steward John W. Knecht AKA Jerome John Robbins 2nd Michigan Medical

Frenchie
04-23-2008, 09:04 AM
I volunteer to proofread the drafts.

2nd_mi_johnny
04-23-2008, 09:30 AM
I volunteer to proofread the drafts.

Thank you very much Frenchie

YOS
Hospital Steward John W Knecht IV

Ross L. Lamoreaux
04-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Darn Frenchie, you just through him under the bus.

Frenchie
04-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Nuh uh, did knot! :p

goatgirl
04-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Well, if it was a story from some Southern State and boys instead of Michigan, I might volunteer….on second thought it might be a good idea to volunteer anyway, just to make sure y’all don’t write anything untrue about the South. :-)

2nd_mi_johnny
04-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Well, if it was a story from some Southern State and boys instead of Michigan, I might volunteer….on second thought it might be a good idea to volunteer anyway, just to make sure y’all don’t write anything untrue about the South. :-)

No falsities will be intended, though I will admit that it might not be the most politically correct of books. It's going to be written from a very VERY first person point of view. But any help you could offer I'd be happy to except it... I might actually do the book based on a number of units with some rather famous pasts... I want to keep it Infantry or artillery, if we have any cav units some one familiar with horse soldiering will have to write those sections. If we did the book that way each chapter, or every two chapters could be about the experiance of the fictional private, from that unit up until his first battle.

2nd_mi_johnny
05-02-2008, 04:33 AM
All right guys and gals whom are going to be proof reading this book. I've opted to focus on two units for this book. The chapters will bounce back and forth between the Northern Unit. The Second Michigan Volunteer Infantry, (Specifically elements of F. Company.) And a southern Units. I would very much appreciate any insight you have, or suggestions about units from your area all my friends to the south. Specifically units that you know where they trained, if the induction site is still standing, I would be greatly appreciative to you if you could provide me with photos of the induction site, and as many detailed photos of the interior of buildings (If possible) that the men would have been housed in. It is my goal to write this historical fiction more history then fiction. Meaning I wish to do our boys honor and not butcher the elements of their daily lives.

Brian Wolle
06-04-2008, 11:20 PM
go ahead and write the book. Mark Twain can't help, allowing you to spell one word as many ways as you want. The problem I see is people using a word that sounds the same but means something totally different -a hominym. It is "accept" not "except"; and "threw" not "through".

You people will hate me but I'm only trying to HELP.

from a fellow Civil War author.

Brian Wolle
06-04-2008, 11:35 PM
silly me! The first piece in the thread does the reverse; using threw for through.
Also "emanate" is not the right word. You probably want "imminent".
They (you) also want "point of view" not "view of point"
Reenactor's doesn't need an apostrophe.

The idea of a novel sounds great. Another idea is to just publish diaries as they are found. Then you get the actual writing patterns they would use.

Please forgive my nasty tone.

Brian Wolle
06-04-2008, 11:54 PM
Frenchie, you didn't realize it was all a test. Guess how you made out?

Frenchie
06-05-2008, 12:13 AM
You mean I don't get to proofread the drafts? http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m274/Darkfold_2006/Emoticons/baseballbat.gif I'm not happy to know that, Brian.

goatgirl
06-05-2008, 10:56 AM
go ahead and write the book....

from a fellow Civil War author.

Also, the first word in a sentence should be capitalized. Sorry, Mr. Wolle, it is all in fun and game.

From another history proofreader,
Nicole :-)