PDA

View Full Version : 145th Antietam

capt141stpa
06-09-2006, 08:10 PM
I was wondering if anyone heard anything about the 145th Antietam. I came accross a website the other day that showed registration is open for it and that it is gonna be limited to 2,000 reenactors n held near Harpers Ferry I tried to located the site n came up with nothing has anyone else hear of the event or any info on it.
Thanks
Les
141st PVI

MStuart
06-09-2006, 11:59 PM
Les:

The event is going to be held on private land owned by a reenactor, which is actually very good as there have been a couple of small events held on it in the past. That being said, I believe the web-site has some contact e-mails for those interested. Since it's (I'm assuming) early on in the process, I'd give one of them a try. I don't think this one is a "mega-event" in the sense of come one-come all. That particular parcel of land, good as it is, can't hold troops in the thousands upon thousands. IMH (early)O, this could be a pretty good one. The land has open fields, woods, and a somewhat sunken farm road that would be a darn good substitute for Antietam type battles. As with all things 15 months away, though, time will tell.

Mark

Wild Rover
06-10-2006, 08:04 AM
The 145th Maryland Campaing is being hosted by the Western Maryland Heritage Foundation, September 1-2, 2007 a the Boonsboro site.

These are the same folks who brought you To the Gates of Washington and the Summer of '62.

This event has the full backing of the South Mountain Battlefield.

More information will be posted int he next few months, and the web iste wil be hosted at www.wmhf.org

MStuart
06-10-2006, 09:49 AM
The 145th Maryland Campaing is being hosted by the Western Maryland Heritage Foundation, September 1-2, 2007 a the Boonsboro site.

These are the same folks who brought you To the Gates of Washington and the Summer of '62.

This event has the full backing of the South Mountain Battlefield.

More information will be posted int he next few months, and the web iste wil be hosted at www.wmhf.org

This event and the one I mentioned are two different events at two different venues.

Mark

tompritchett
06-10-2006, 02:23 PM
But both sound interesting. Let's hope that the scheduling of the events do not conflict.

TeamsterPhil
06-10-2006, 02:38 PM
But both sound interesting. Let's hope that the scheduling of the events do not conflict.
Even Tom gets it.

Phil

FWL
06-11-2006, 10:51 AM
As a new reenactor I attended the 140th with a mainstream unit. I had no idea of what to expect. I did'nt even know what a campaigner was. It was my first real event. I went away happy to see the numbers but knew something was really wrong. Never again, reasons well documented in many posts.

Kimmel
06-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Well, looks like we might have to fight the KKK for Antietam before we can have an event there! lol

tompritchett
06-11-2006, 11:00 PM
As a born and bred Southerner I would be proud to don gray to drive that white trash off the ground hallowed by the blood of the very men they are claiming to represent.

tompritchett
06-11-2006, 11:01 PM
"Even"????

bill watson
06-12-2006, 08:32 AM
It is important to pick events that mesh with your personal expectations. There is a very clear difference between the programs outlined by Chris Anders and the Western Maryland Heritage group and the other event; folks need to do a little comparison shopping. There's Fords, Chevvies; Hummers; Cadillacs; and within that set of choices there's Mustangs, Camaros, dump trucks, Pintos, Corvairs. Many opportunities to get what you want. Real disappointment is buying "a car" thinking it's going to be a tricked out Shelby Cobra only to find out you've bought a dump truck. Or buying "a car" thinking it's going to be a dump truck only to find out it's a Shelby Cobra, which won't meet your needs.

We only have so much time. It needs to be invested with all the wisdom and knowledge anyone can muster.

Bill_Cross
06-12-2006, 10:47 AM
We only have so much time. It needs to be invested with all the wisdom and knowledge anyone can muster.
This is a very good distillation of how one should approach this hobby. Instead of debates about whether campaigning is better than mainstreaming, or whether hardcores trump progressives, whether "West is best," or other bullshit, it boils down to a simple question:

WHAT THE ******************** DO YOU WANT FROM YOUR WEEKEND?

Most events are pretty specific about what's going to happen, and if you're not sure, then ask around. Bill W's right: it IS a lot like buying a car.

tompritchett
06-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Actually I stated that I was interested in BOTH at this time. I have attended a Chris event finally and have campaigned at Spotsylvania where we shared a morning fire. Also I have never attended a Sharpsburg event - deliberately avoiding the 140th because of Warlick's involvement. I know nothing about this event except what has been posted here (the website apparently is now longer available) and based upon the relatively small size and the fact that reenactors seem to be having a major say in the event, it currently interests me. As more information about it becomes available, my interest may change - as it should. I was merely stating that I hoped that at this early date I was hoping that the event organizers might try to avoid scheduling such geographically close events on the same weekend - especially since they both are not yearly or semi-annual events.

Wild Rover
06-12-2006, 02:54 PM
Tom,

I know the 145th Maryaldn campaign will be the first or possibly second weekend in September 07.

Will have that finalized by this September

Pards,