PDA

View Full Version : Met Gettysburg's Ron Maxwell yesterday...

indguard
04-11-2008, 09:08 PM
I had a chance meeting with Ron Maxwell in Washington D.C. yesterday. I was at the MRC DisHonor Award banquet in DC and Maxwell was one of the presenters.

Apparently he is looking to make a big western movie this time.

I also met former presidential spokesman Tony Snow, Ann Coulter, TV financial guy Larry Kudlow and a host of others.

Here is a link to an account of the event I attended.

http://conservablogs.com/publiusforum/2008/04/11/media-research-gala-2008/

sbl
04-12-2008, 11:59 AM
"I also met former presidential spokesman Tony Snow, Ann Coulter, TV financial guy Larry Kudlow and a host of others."

http://www.mediaresearch.org/archive/nq/best.asp

[Deleted - Sgt. Pepper]

http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=50138

ScottWashburn
04-12-2008, 12:27 PM
I guess I sorta, kinda met Maxwell during the filming of Gods & Generals. I had just come down for one day while they were filming the 20th Maine's Fredericksburg assault (just so I could say I had been in the movie). Dana Heim didn't have any specific job for me, but said to come as a colonel. In the morning there was a big conference with Maxwell and all the high-powered reenactor types who were there. I just hung around on the edges. But then they started talking about the mechanics of deploying from a column to a line and suddenly everyone was looking at me :) Before I knew it, I had been dragooned as a technical advisor. I explained how to do the deployment and we actually did it for the camera, but it was never used in the film. My 15 minutes of fame.

Swag
04-12-2008, 12:39 PM
So maxwell is doing a Western film, well thats good, least he can't harm our hobby anymore by making horrendously long, dry, films. ;)

OVI
04-12-2008, 01:06 PM
So maxwell is doing a Western film, well thats good, least he can't harm our hobby anymore by making horrendously long, dry, films. ;)

WTH's post only says Ron M WANTs to make a Western. Finding another Ted Turner to fund such a project will not be easy since "Jesus & Jackson" earned 12 million at the box office while costing around 90. Hollywood investor types dont like that kind of math. Of course when you make a overlong, turgid ode to the Lost Cause what can one expect.

Kent Dorr - Ohio
"Devils Own Mess"

sbl
04-12-2008, 03:04 PM
There's always another preteen girl movie to be made..

Ronald F. Maxwell

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0561813/

Rob Weaver
04-12-2008, 03:22 PM
There's always another preteen girl movie to be made..

Ronald F. Maxwell

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0561813/
"Little Rebel Darlings?"
Actually, if they could find financing, "The Last Full Measure" would make a stronger movie than G&G could ever hope to be. Interesting character in US Grant, tighter writing with a more mature sense of pace.

Jubilo
04-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Dear General Huston ,
I think your writing is a tad too sophisticated and mature for this forum considering the remarks solicited by your post . Good luck in future endeavors.
all for the old flag,
David Corbett

Strawfoot
04-13-2008, 02:42 AM
Dear General Huston ,
I think your writing is a tad too sophisticated and mature for this forum considering the remarks solicited by your post . Good luck in future endeavors.
all for the old flag,
David Corbett

I believe the 'solicited remarks' to the originator of this thread were strictly due to the subject of the post. Some of us take offense to those who can simlutaneously butcher the cinematogrophy profession, while at the same time set the hobby of civil war re-enacting back decades...

[Deleted - Sgt. Pepper]

sbl
04-13-2008, 07:15 AM
Well, I already knew that Maxwell wasn't a very good movie maker as the business is a meritocracy. You can see that he's still "dining out" on Gettysburg from his IMDB entry.

Folks may remember that a number of the Gettysburg cast went on to make a better film, Tombstone, with better facial hair.

[Deleted - Sgt. Pepper]

tompritchett
04-13-2008, 09:43 AM
I believe the 'solicited remarks' to the originator of this thread were strictly due to the subject of the post.

Actually, Dave may have been referring to a post that I had deleted for being purely political before I moved this thread down to this conference.

sbl
04-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Actually, Dave may have been referring to a post that I had deleted for being purely political before I moved this thread down to this conference.

That would be mine. Maxwell proves that Hollywood is a meritocracy and that Samuel Johnson had a good point about patriotism.

Thomas, I accept your decisions as moderator.

Strawfoot
04-13-2008, 05:57 PM

My apologies... I don't think very much of these politically flavored posts myself. Especially since I am currently in Afghanistan, watching our boys go into harm's way.

sbl
04-13-2008, 08:50 PM
My apologies... I don't think very much of these politically flavored posts myself. Especially since I am currently in Afghanistan, watching our boys go into harm's way.

Mike,

I know that this Mr. Szabo's Forum and good manners should prevail while speaking our opinions. I also think that it is relevant that Ron Maxwell is riding on his past CW movies and now doing "gigs" at pro administration (not pro American) events. I liked Gettysburg as it was a patriotic movie without "bad guys." G&G was just bad and sad.

Doug Cooper
04-14-2008, 01:42 AM
[QUOTE=Strawfoot]I believe the 'solicited remarks' to the originator of this thread were strictly due to the subject of the post. Some of us take offense to those who can simlutaneously butcher the cinematogrophy profession, while at the same time set the hobby of civil war re-enacting back decades...

QUOTE]

Hah - well said Mike!!! Maxwell cannot make even a mediocre movie but he is a shrewd operator to have been able to get a few thousand equipped and knowledgable extra's to work for nothing...twice. Imagine how bad the math on Turner's Folly and GAG would have been had all those reenactors with stars in their eyes actually been paid for their work!

He has proven he can take a good book (Killer Angels) and make a bad movie and take a bad book (GAG) and make a still worse movie. Providence and this Western distraction will hopefully divert him from ever again proving his awful consistency by tackling Last Full Measure, another waste of print.

I feel better now.

Sgt_Pepper
04-15-2008, 04:11 PM
I also think that it is relevant that Ron Maxwell is riding on his past CW movies and now doing "gigs" at pro administration (not pro American) events.

Above emphasis is mine. I don't think that's relevant. The Whine Cellar is the free-for-all area where politics can be respectfully discussed; this is not.

sbl
04-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Well Sgt. that's what makes horse races and civil wars. You're the moderator. Show business folks with "li-ber-al" views get ripped all the time. The most well known ones are well known because they are successful in a business that is a meritocracy. Mr. Maxwell is not a successful show business person who again, its "dining out" on his reputation on movies from the 1990s. Since my original reply to the original post was deleted, my posts have been respectful and informative.

I could have written that Maxwell wants to be "Leni" Riefenstahl but that would be unfair to Riefenstahl as she had talent.

Sgt_Pepper
04-15-2008, 08:38 PM
Since my original reply to the original post was deleted, my posts have been respectful and informative.

I have restored that post and edited out the inappropriate remark. I agree your posts have been informative.

I could have written that Maxwell wants to be "Leno" Riefenstahl but that would be unfair to Riefenstahl as she had talent.

I suggest you stop trying my patience.

Regular3
04-15-2008, 08:43 PM
"Little Rebel Darlings?"
Actually, if they could find financing, "The Last Full Measure" would make a stronger movie than G&G could ever hope to be. Interesting character in US Grant, tighter writing with a more mature sense of pace.Gods & Generals would have been fine if Maxwell & Company had stuck closer to the novel and kept Professor Robertson away - He's the one who turned it into "The Passion of Stonewall".

reb64
04-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Once again it seems a movie where the south is the portrayed as the good guys and wins some battles is beat upon. Id like to see the full length version someday. could it have been better yes, but when I saw the opening and the flags go by it made me want to stand and salute. [Deleted]

[Let me warn you as well, sir: The Books, Films and Videos conference is not the place for modern political discussion. The Whine Cellar is where you go for that. - Sgt. Pepper]

ejazzyjeff
04-16-2008, 11:12 AM
BTW, this is not a personal grudge and I have no hard feelings towards anyone. I understand that other people have different attitudes and opinions about what is happening today and can get hot, but I feel there is a time and place to debate them and this website should not be that place. My opinion this site should be used to discuss Civil War.

Thatís all I want to say.

Sgt_Pepper
04-16-2008, 12:37 PM
This thread is now closed due to the failure of some members to heed warnings and follow the rules.