PDA

View Full Version : CW Chaplains

firstmdes
04-10-2008, 07:06 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what to read concerning chaplains and the Civil War? Though I am most interested in Catholic priests, I would be happy to review what is available for all religions represented in the Federal and Confederate militaries. I am quick to admit that I have read little on this subject.

I thank in advance all who contribute to this thread!

sbl
04-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Two sources...

A Narrative of the Campaign of the First Rhode Island Regiment In The Spring and Summer Of 1861.
Augustus Woodbury

Providence: Rider,1862.

Woodbury was one of the chaplains of the First Rhode Island Regiment and wrote a history of the Second Rhode Island. He includes stories of his experiences as chaplain including what he did at 1st Bull Run. Some are humorous.

The Second Rhode Island Regiment: A Narrative Of Military Operations. Providence: Valpey, Angell and Co.,1875.

I remember that The Life of Billy Yank: The Common Soldier of the Union: Bell Irvin Wiley has some references to chaplains, several not complimentary,

jthlmnn
04-11-2008, 01:10 AM
This list, Further reading recommendations, is found in Robert J. Miller's Both Prayed to the Same God (Lexington Books, 2007) at the end of Chapter 11, which focuses on Catholic chaplains.

Benjamin Blied. Catholics and the Civil War. Milwaukee. Bruce Publishing.1945

John W. Brinsfield, Jr., William C. Davis, Benedict Maryniak, and James Robertson Jr., Faith in the Fight-Civil War Chaplains. Mechanicsburg, PA:
Stackpole Books, 2003

William Corby. Memoirs of Chaplain Life-Three Years with the Irish Brigade in the Army of the Potomac. Edited by Lawrence Frederick Kohl. New York: Fordham University Press, 1992

Louis Hippolyte Gache. A Frenchman, a Chaplain, a Rebel- the Civil War Letters of Pere Louis Hippolyte Gache, SJ. Edited by Cornelius Buckley. Chicago: Loyola University Press, 1981

Aidan Germaine. Catholic Military and Naval Chaplains-1776-1917. Washington, DC: Catholic University of America, 1929

James Hennesey. American Catholics- A History of the Roman Catholic Community in the United States. New York: Oxford University Press, 1981

James B. Sheeran.Confederate Chaplain-A Military Journal. Edited by Joseph T. Durkin. Milwaukee: Bruce Publishing, 1960

"Over 400 voted for a Catholic priest, 154 for any kind of Protestant minister; 11 for a Mormon; and 335 said they could find their way to h*ll without assistance from clergy." Fr. Joseph B. O'Hagan, SJ, reporting on the vote of the 73rd New York regarding the selection of a chaplain. ;)

sbl
04-11-2008, 09:55 AM
"Over 400 voted for a Catholic priest, 154 for any kind of Protestant minister; 11 for a Mormon; and 335 said they could find their way to h*ll without assistance from clergy." Fr. Joseph B. O'Hagan, SJ, reporting on the vote of the 73rd New York regarding the selection of a chaplain. "

That's a hoot! Goes to show that there were a good number of free thinkers and "can't be bothered" men in those days.
In the case of the the chaplain of the 1st and 2nd Rhode Island I noted, he wrote the history!

tompritchett
04-11-2008, 10:36 AM
and 335 said they could find their way to h*ll without assistance from clergy

I wonder how they felt a year or two later having seen death first-hand in battle.

jthlmnn
04-11-2008, 11:17 AM
I wonder how they felt a year or two later having seen death first-hand in battle.

From what I gather, the spirit of religious revivalism was strong on both sides and in all theaters, from roughly 1863 onward.

sbl
04-11-2008, 12:32 PM
"Originally Posted by tompritchett
I wonder how they felt a year or two later having seen death first-hand in battle."

That would be interesting. Church attendence MAY HAVE been regular as a way to feel "normal" and "respectable", back at home, especially if parents and/or spouses insisted on it.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/gett/gettregts/nyi73.htm

73rd New York Infantry
("Second Fire Zouaves")
2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, Third Corps

Commander: Major Michael W. Burns

Battle of Gettysburg participation: July 2
Present for duty: 349 officers & men
Casualties: 51 killed, 103 wounded, 8 missing

http://www.dmna.state.ny.us/historic/reghist/civil/infantry/73rdInf/73rdInfMain.htm

During its service the regiment lost by death, killed in action, 12 officers, 107 enlisted men; of wounds received in action, 5 officers, 29 enlisted men; of disease and other causes, 2 officers, 74 enlisted men; total, 19 officers, 260 enlisted men; aggregate, 229; of whom 15 enlisted men died in the hands of the enemy.

Robert A Mosher
04-11-2008, 09:15 PM
With the risk of engaging in self-promotion, the latest posting on my Military Philosopher blog (http://militaryphilosopher.blogspot.com/) is about a Union Army chaplain and journalist killed in the battle of Fredericksburg - Arthur Buckminster Fuller, of the 16th Massachusetts.

Robert A. Mosher
The Military Philosopher
http://militaryphilosopher.blogspot.com/

sbl
04-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Augustus Woodbury

WOODBURY, Augustus, author, born in Beverly, Massachusetts, in 1825. He was graduated at Phillips Exeter academy in 1846, and at the divinity-school of Harvard in 1849, and became pastor of" Unitarian churches in Concord, New Hampshire, in 1849, in Lowell, Massachusetts, in 1853, and of Westminster Unitarian church, Providence, Rhode Island, which place he still holds. He was chairman of inspectors of the Rhode Island state prison in 1866-'77, and in 1875-'9 was a member of the commission for building the state prison. He was chaplain of the 1st Rhode Island regiment from April till August, 1861, and in 1874-'5 was chaplain-in-chief of the Grand army of the republic. Since 1883 he has been president of the Providence athenaeum. Harvard gave him the degree of A. M. in 1866, and Brown that of D. D. in 1888. He is the author of "Plain Words to Young Men" (Concord, 1858); " The Preservation of the Republic," an oration (Providence, 1860); " Narrative of the Campaign of the First Rhode Island Regiment in the Spring and Summer of 1861" (1862): "General Ambrose E. Burnside and the Ninth Army Corps" (1867) ; "The Second Rhode Island Regiment" (1875); "An Historical Sketch of the Prisons and Jails of Rhode Island" (1877); "Memorial of General Ambrose E. Burnside" (1882); and sermons, addresses, and articles in reviews.

Edited Appletons Encyclopedia, Copyright 2001 VirtualologyT

goatgirl
04-12-2008, 09:36 AM
Christ in the Camp, by J. William Jones is a captivating book (minus a few parts), though it might not be the kind of book you are looking to read.

firstmdes
04-15-2008, 08:19 PM
All,

Thanks to one and all for the suggestions you posted in this thread! I didn't realize there were quite so many books related to this subject! It looks like I have a lot of reading ahead of me...

John

NoahBriggs
04-16-2008, 06:35 AM
The first Edition of the Columbia Rifles Research Compendium had a great article written by the Reverend Michael Petersen. The article is called "Our Holy Joe". As you might guess from context it is a well-written, well-cited Chaplaincy 101. If you are interested send me a PM on the Authentic Campaigners Forum and I'll shoot you a PDF copy. Horrific shock - my online handle is the same over there as it is here.

Pity the article was not included in the second edition.