PDA

View Full Version : Squibb Pannier

mmartin4600
04-06-2008, 03:28 PM
I am by no means an expert on medical panniers, so I would like some other opinions. I stumbled onto this site from a link on the AC about camp furniture. Are there photos of an original we can compare from? How about dimensions? It sure looks purty.

Michael

cwmed
04-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Dear Sir

if you look at the post directly under yours you will see pictures of an original and I can measure it if you like but his repro doesnt look like my orginal.

Luke Castleberry

mmartin4600
04-06-2008, 07:32 PM
First off, nice piece of equipment. Could you show me a better picture of the bottom of the panier, after you take the top tray out? Looking at the reproduction, the top tray is pretty accurate. I'm just curious if the bottom is as well. Thanks you.

Michael

NoahBriggs
04-07-2008, 05:59 AM
There was no link. Are we discussing the repro Squibb pannier on charliesboatworks.com? If so, it comes highly recommended as a well-researched reproduction.

funhistory
04-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Gentlemen:

Neither the photos of Luke's original nor the photos of the reproduction shown on the Charlie's Boatworks site match the photo of an original pannier that was sent to me by the archivist at Bristol-Meyers Squibb that was at one time on exhibit in the corporate headquarters.

The logical conclusion is that Dr. Squibb used a variety of subcontractors to produce the various components that he assembled prior to shipping the pannier to the field. This slight variation surprises me, having learned that Squibb was obsessed by details and standardization. However, he appears to be one who continually sought "better" ways of doing things and readily admitted that his way wasn't the only way; so, the modifications are most likely to be the result of "field testing" that led to an increasingly superior product. My suspicion is that the contents of the pannier remained constant and its components were likely to be examples of the best products of their type that were available at the time.

mmartin4600
04-07-2008, 10:03 PM
There was no link. Are we discussing the repro Squibb pannier on charliesboatworks.com? If so, it comes highly recommended as a well-researched reproduction.

Sorry. Yes that's the one. Squibb Pannier (http://charliesboatworks.com/SquibbPannier.htm)

Currently I am playing e-mail tag with the Director of the Ft. Ward Museum. They have an original pannier on display and I am hoping to get permission to take some detailed photos.

TimKindred
04-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Comrades,

I am very impressed with the Pannier from Charlie's Boat Works. However, there are 3 small issues with it.

1.) No inside lid table of contents.

2.) The dividers seem to be a tad too thick.

3.) The box is sealed with polyirethane.

All of these are fixable, I suspect, by working with the company. Certainl;y have the box stained and oiled instead of sealed with poly is an easy fix. The real trick, to my mind, is finding the proper table of contents. Most likely, a full-seze replica would have to be ginned up from images of existing samples, since I know of no single intact label.

Making the partitions of thinner wood may or may not be doabe. Grankly, if the thicker wood still allows for proper placement of the contents, and makes the box stronger, then I have no problem, per se, with it. It's not like you can just requisition a new one through channels if yours is damaged.....

Anyway, I am ordering one. It is a nice display piece, it's functional, and it was used all over the place.

cavtrooper
04-08-2008, 09:45 AM
I would agree that the dividers on the Boatwork pannier are too thick. IMHO it would also appear to be an early war item. The slot arrangement for each individual container is typical of the APOTHECARY chests of the mid nineteenth century where glass bottles were used. The slot arrangement on the boatworks pannier would lead to me to think it was built to protect glass bottles. I have seen coments where contents breakage was a problem with the panniers. It would not surprise me that as they shifted to tin contaniers the number of slots decreased as breakage became less of an issue. If you could post the photo of the pannier the archivist at Bristol-Meyers Squibb sent it would be great I would like to get a copy. I have a few photos of the pannier and label from the NMCWM. That may be of interest and help. The images are to large to up loan on the form so please email me if you are interested in a copy. Below are the measurements of the interior they were kind enought to provide:
There are five rows of slots. Starting at the top left, and all measurements are of the interiors of the slots. My measurements for length are the horizontal sections, and width is vertical.
First row: Height of top horizontal strip = 6 3/8, Height of bottom horizontal strip = 3 , Height of vertical strips = 3 1/2', Width of row = 3 7/16
Slots 1 - 3: Length = 1 11/16
Slots 4 - 6: Length = 5 3/8
Second row: Height of top = 3 , Height of bottom = 5 1/2, Height of vertical strips = 3 , Width = 3 7/16
Slots 1 & 4: Length = 2 5/8
Slots 2 - 3: Length = 7
Third row: Height of top = 5 , Height of bottom = 4 5/8, Height of vertical strips = 4 5/8, Width = 3
Slots 1 & 4: Length = 2
Slots 2 3: Length = 8
Fourth row: Height of top = 4 5/8, Height of bottom = 4 5/8, Height of vertical strips = 4 5/8, Width = 3
Slots 1 & 4: Length = 2
Slots 2 3: Length = 8
Fifth row (is a little different from the others): Height of top = 4 5/8, Height of bottom = 6 3/8, Height of vertical strips = 3 , Width = 1
Slots 1, 3, & 5: Length = 1 5/8
Slots 2 & 4: Length = 7
*Note in the photograph, in the bottom row the divider between slots 1 & 2 is broken.

Bill Mckown