PDA

View Full Version : More Interesting stuff

VaTrooper
06-03-2006, 11:03 PM
More interesting remarks from my Little Fork Ranger book......

57 men left for Manassas after signing enlistment papers. Some had shotguns and some had pistols but ALL had obtained sabres. It goes into further details in the company muster roll from the 27th of May till the 30th of June of 1861.This is the last half of a statement by A.S Taylor during this muster...

"Also there are 25 double barreled shotguns with out straps (private property) and 8 or 10 precussioned pistols."

And the book also says........Groups of men had been apointed for years by the County Courts to prevent meetings between slaves and to apprehend suspicious charactors. These records go back to June 16th, 1857.

The muster roll for Sept & Oct 1861 states that Sgt Pollard and Pvt James P Ross had been sent by Gen Beauregard to Jeffersonton for the purpose of making cavalry boots for the company.

The Jan & Feb muster roll of 1862 says Capt Utterback and Sgt William Doyle were detached to Culpeper to recruit.

VaTrooper
06-04-2006, 11:13 PM
Charles Heath and I have had a couple conversations about the uniformity of the Little Fork Rangers as our opinion differs as to my Capt.'s as to how we should be dressed. Well in the back of this book is a war time photo of Pollard Wood well he's wearing an RD2. Our unit went to war in uniforms the community had pitched in and bought the cloth for, the cloth was cut in Warenton and the local women put the uniforms together. My Capt. refuses to believe that we were issued clothing thinking that this cloth lasted, theres no way it did as the war was thought to be a short one. This photo proves it. I was a little worried because under the photo it says he was discharged in May 1st 62.' But I found in the roster where re-enlisted in the 13th Va Inf on Oct 13th 64'. And finding a RD2 that late in 64' would be pretty had pressed, right? I'll post the picture later in the week when I get home.

By the way Pollard Wood opperated a boot and shoe factory in Culpeper as well as being a farmer and a merchant. Also note he was one of the L.F.R's to be sent back to Culpeper to make boots for the company in the May-June of 61' muster roll. Pollard was also the member voted to purchase the coth to make their uniforms.

MStuart
06-05-2006, 10:13 AM
I agree. One set of uniforms is not going to last the entire war. Even with today's standards and manufacturing, it's nye onto impossible with everyday use. I've got the same book on the Little Forkers that you probably do, and a few others on eastern cavalry units. I can't recall any of them mentioning "we drew uniforms", but that doesn't mean they didn't. I'd say it's a safe bet company D drew uniforms several times during the struggle.

Mark

VaTrooper
06-05-2006, 04:54 PM
Its a great little book. I need the Stiles regimental history of the 4th Va but they are hard to come by.

MStuart
06-05-2006, 11:54 PM
Its a great little book. I need the Stiles regimental history of the 4th Va but they are hard to come by.

You're right, they're tough to find. I remember seeing one in Gettysburg this winter. I think it was the Farnsworth House, or a book store very close to it.

Mark