PDA

View Full Version : Antietam Battlefield Development

firstmdes
03-14-2008, 03:37 AM
All,

This is a recent article from the Baltimore Sun about the development threat to Antietam National Battlefield:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-te.antietam14mar14,0,1962739.story

Interesting item to ponder...Should we consider scenic views as part of battlefield preservation or should the technological advancement be allowed as long as it is not directly built on "hallowed ground?" Not an easy question to answer without offending someone!

John

PrattStreetRioter
03-14-2008, 05:47 AM
Like the one gentleman said...

Jimmy Miller, Rosacker's friend, checked his cell phone.

"I've got four bars and two missed calls," he announced. "What do I need a cell tower for?"

BlacknBlue1864
03-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Should we consider scenic views as part of battlefield preservation or should the technological advancement be allowed as long as it is not directly built on "hallowed ground?" Not an easy question to answer without offending someone! Not an easy question to answer without offending someone! Preserving scenic/historic viewsheds has long been considered a critical part of battlefield preservation. Remember the hideous "National Tower" at Gettysburg? I will gladly offend anyone who advocates blighting the historic landscape with cell towers. :D

Pete K
03-18-2008, 05:52 AM
The tower would be "...disguised as a farm silo...". Now I am not a farmer , nor do I play one at LHs, but... What would be the image of a random silo just out in the middle of a field, in an historic battlefield, without a barn (modern or historic) nearby? I just didn't fall off the turnip truck buddy!