PDA

View Full Version : the hobby is a joke again

Pete K
03-11-2008, 03:06 AM
Even Sponge Bob did a reenacting episode. The tile was "the Battle of Bikini Bottom". The "fish-citizens" wore blue and red uniforms almost Rev War/Napoleanic era uniforms. The conclusion was "reenacting battles is for nerds, let's do something manly, like football, softball, or knitting afghans!"
We get blasted agin.

Pat.Lewis
03-11-2008, 03:17 AM
the hobby is a joke again

When hasn't it been?

/Kidding...?

Craig L Barry
03-11-2008, 03:26 AM
So what's your point? Who cares what Sponge Bob cartoonists think of a hobby they know nothing about? The Three Stooges did a CW based comedy short, South Park did an episode (with Cartman as General Lee of all things), The Simpsons did it (Homer as a CS General as I recall), so this is nothing new. The joke is on the folks who don't get where the fun here is found. That's okay with me. Less traffic getting out of the event when it's over.

I have fun at events with small crowds, large crowds and no crowds. It's all good.

Pvt Schnapps
03-11-2008, 03:37 AM
Ah, General Cartman -- I really enjoyed that episode. I've seen worse things drunk at reenactments than S'mores Schnapps.

Pete K
03-11-2008, 03:39 AM
I just noticed yet another tv show which used re-eancting as part of the joke. I like when shows do it. Being able to laugh at yourself is a sign of maturity and civility (as I see it).

sbl
03-11-2008, 04:00 AM
I just noticed yet another tv show which used re-eancting as part of the joke. I like when shows do it. Being able to laugh at yourself is a sign of maturity and civility (as I see it).

Good for you Pete. Reenacting jokes in mainstream culture mean that we've "arrived."

Also see the deleted scenes from Borat and The sarah Silverman Show. Sarah's renfaire/D&D friends rescue her and her nurse sister from a women's clinic bomber.

Ross L. Lamoreaux
03-11-2008, 04:08 AM
The mockery is best when we can use those episodes and roll with it, like when a good pard of mine took a very nice original bottle, had a fantastic period-looking label with S'mores Schnapps placed on it, and had us all (who hadn't seen the Simpson's episode yet) convinced that it was an excuisite imported spiritous treat created just prior to the war.

FloridaConfederate
03-11-2008, 04:14 AM
Gary Gygax died @ age 69 last week. As a spry fifth grader I was equally neurotic OCD about D&D as I am the CW.

Guess Mr Gygax couldn't roll a high enough save percentage or had no one to cast a Spell of Resurrection ?

Services to be held in his parents basement.

Chris Rideout
6th Level Paladin
Bytor and the Snowdog Mess

Frenchie
03-11-2008, 04:17 AM
There's an entire genre of Web comics that are based on Dungeons & Dragons. They're all doing homage to Gary Gygax and at least one has him doing a cameo appearance in the afterlife.

tenfed1861
03-11-2008, 04:18 AM
"Bang Bang"~Lenny
"Pow Pow"~Carl
"Hit with big stick!Hit with big stick!"~Moe

Craig L Barry
03-11-2008, 05:36 AM
Ross

The Peppermint Schnapps drinking binge was from South Park not The Simpsons. You seem like a guy who would watch a lot of TV while sewing, how did you get that mixed up? Peppermint Schnapps in your tin cup of course!

Also, they are all somewhat funny in a silly way, and some of it hits close to the mark. It seems in some parts of the South the fire may have gone out but the embers are still warm. I have actually heard (and so have most of you if you are honest) "Well we ain't losing to the Yankees this time around..." That's the unstated theme of most of these shows if you boil the message down. It was the theme of the South Park episode for sure.

huntdaw
03-11-2008, 05:58 AM
Each to his own. I think watching golf on TV is stupid and have no desire to play the game but have friends that are fanatics. I have a pal who goes to Canada every year to shoot a bunch of waterfowl. To me, it's a waste of time and money. My brother-in-law likes boating. I think it's a ridiculous expenditure to only use a few times a summer. They probably think the same thing about me and this hobby.

But, they like what they do and that's fine. I like this and that's fine and I really don't give a rat's behind if anyone thinks I'm goofy for it or not. While others may be making fun of me for pursuing my hobby, I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

Let 'em poke fun I say. They're probably just a bunch of boat owning, goose hunting, golfers anyway.

8th TexCav
03-11-2008, 06:46 AM
They can joke all they want, I still look less ridiculous with my 16 pistols, 32 cylinders, hat with ostrich plume and yards of yellow trim mounted on my Shetland Pony then most golfers look on an average Saturday! :cool:

toptimlrd
03-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Gary Gygax died @ age 69 last week. As a spry fifth grader I was equally neurotic OCD about D&D as I am the CW.

Guess Mr Gygax couldn't roll a high enough save percentage or had no one to cast a Spell of Resurrection ?

Services to be held in his parents basement.

Chris Rideout
6th Level Paladin
Bytor and the Snowdog Mess

LOL Chris. I still have those 1st edition rule books.

Slickrick214
03-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Meh I say who cares what they think. They made a cartoon about a dumb yellow sponge with an annoying laugh..do I need to say anything more.:lol:

Slickrick214
03-11-2008, 12:30 PM
"Bang Bang"~Lenny
"Pow Pow"~Carl
"Hit with big stick!Hit with big stick!"~Moe

Is that the Three Stooges..because if it is I don't remeber a Carl or Lenny. The only war short I remeber from the Three stooges is when they fought in WWI and gassed themselves.

federal musician
03-11-2008, 06:30 PM
If we are wide enough known to be made fun of, then we have moved up to being accepted by the rest of the world.

Frank Long

sbl
03-11-2008, 10:22 PM
If we are wide enough known to be made fun of, then we have moved up to being accepted by the rest of the world.

Frank Long

Toleration, acceptance, celebration.

Pete K
03-11-2008, 11:19 PM
The Stooges (Moe, Larry, Curly) act as spies for the Union as CSA officers: Lt. Duck, Captain Dodge, and Major Hide. Very funny and I hear tell they were using actual uniforms and post war guns for most of the props/costumes.

Abrams
03-12-2008, 12:13 AM
Them poking fun just makes me think of a favorite quote:

"If I valued your opinion, I would be upset."--Winston Churchill

vamick
03-12-2008, 12:37 AM
The Stooges (Moe, Larry, Curly) act as spies for the Union as CSA officers: Lt. Duck, Captain Dodge, and Major Hide. Very funny and I hear tell they were using actual uniforms and post war guns for most of the props/costumes.

Its called "UnCivil Warriors" they are undercover as 'Confederate Horse Marines"! (and its a wonder we havent seen that outfit portrayed somewhere!:D )
Its a hoot and I love that scene with the baby ( "looks just like his papa!")

sbl
03-12-2008, 01:35 AM
Its a hoot and I love that scene with the baby ( "looks just like his papa!")

For a long time that scene was cut out and you couldn't see the baby.

Craig L Barry
03-12-2008, 01:45 AM
Classic. Was Civil War re-enacting in the modern sense born then? A case could be made that this was the seminal event leading us to where we are today. Most of us saw it as little crumb snatchers and it struck a chord.

tenfed1861
03-12-2008, 01:51 AM
Is that the Three Stooges..because if it is I don't remeber a Carl or Lenny. The only war short I remeber from the Three stooges is when they fought in WWI and gassed themselves.
The Simpsons.Homer goes to the Kwik-E-Mart to return a beer keg after the event only to find Apu cheating.
"The Battle of Springfield was fought by the North,the South,and the West."Principle Skinner.

sbl
03-12-2008, 03:58 AM
I'm just trying to cope with what happened to Dawn Wells!

sigman
03-12-2008, 10:26 AM
There is another three stooges short where Moe and Larry join the Union and Curly joins the Confederates. Scenes revolve around the guard house. Curly's in the house, Feds. leave, rebs come and then lock up Moe and Larry etc. Pretty funny, but they always have been!

Andy Siganuk, 12th NJVI

MtVernon
03-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Even Sponge Bob did a reenacting episode. The tile was "the Battle of Bikini Bottom". The "fish-citizens" wore blue and red uniforms almost Rev War/Napoleanic era uniforms. The conclusion was "reenacting battles is for nerds, let's do something manly, like football, softball, or knitting afghans!"
We get blasted agin.

Dude, you watch cartoons? Nerd.

Listen, if someone doesn't have a sense of humor on some level about this hobby, I'm steering clear of them. Heck, I made fun of the hobby before I got into it, and still find myself almost apologizing to others for fear that they'll think I don't understand how freaky all this is to others. My old roommate wouldn't even touch my gear-it seriously creeped him out. He thought I was the weird one. Well, who's right? I don't know, but I'm sitting home with my wife and newborn daughter, and he's...probably watching TV with his new roommate!