It's farbolicious:
[http://youtube.com/watch?v=YveSHqhOkdo&search=comic%20book]

NJ Sekela
06-02-2006, 07:09 AM
The capes are WAAAY over represented.

NJS

Lee Ragan
06-02-2006, 09:39 AM
I think this is the way a lot of people see "us". (But who cares?)

tompritchett
06-02-2006, 09:59 AM
I think that was the whole point of the video in the first place. Excellent satire on their part.

ewtaylor
06-02-2006, 11:56 AM
Its exactly the way alot of people see the mainstream.
ew taylor

I think this is the way a lot of people see "us". (But who cares?)

tenfed1861
06-02-2006, 01:14 PM
I must admit,me and my Northern Irish friend got a laugh out of it.It was questioning whether someome was Dr. Doom,Wolverine,Thor,and the others.I found "The Hulk" funny.What a laugh.Great Satire.Up there with "Modest Proposal".
Cullen Smith
If we can't laugh at ourselves,who can we laugh at?

MStuart
06-02-2006, 01:20 PM
ew taylor

I know. We ruin it for everyone at the top end. If we'd just change our ways, or, better yet, go completely away, things would be so much better for those that get tainted by us.

Gonna go back to my "guilt hole" now.

Mark Thought I'd throw that definition up there to "kick it up a notch" 'cause there's rarely a day that goes by that I don't hear how bad I am.

tompritchett
06-02-2006, 02:07 PM
Actually, I would say that is how many people feel about ALL Civil War reenactors. Yes, there is the "farby" mainstreamers but what about guys that sleep on the ground, eat meat that is days old, and all that is entailed in campaigning. Just yesterday I was explaining to a colleague at work what all I was doing to prepare for campaigning this weekend and he looked at me like I was crazier than usual. Of course, people always wonder why anyone wants to run around over a summer weekend playing soldier (their perception) in wool and cotton cloth, covered with straps and various straps and belts that prevent our cloths from breathing. And then you throw in the anti anything to do with war crowd. Yes, we all are indeed odd-balls to many people here in the U.S.

Bill_Cross
06-02-2006, 02:12 PM
Yessiree, the taters really know the difference between grown men in wool with guns playing soldier and grown men in hand-sewn wool with defarbed guns playing soldier while sleeping on the ground....

RJSamp
06-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Yessiree, the taters really know the difference between grown men in wool with guns playing soldier and grown men in hand-sewn wool with defarbed guns playing soldier while sleeping on the ground....

They do know the difference at 200+ yards the difference between a 350 man regiment and a 100 man regiment....

It's that old 5 yard rule again....

Bill_Cross
06-02-2006, 04:55 PM
They do know the difference at 200+ yards between a 350 man regiment and a 100 man regiment....
It's why it's silly to have "battles" with such small numbers if you're trying to recreate something that happened historically with larger numbers.

But authenticity inspections aren't just about stitch counting. It weeds out unsafe firearms, liquor and contraband (haven't ever found any, but the threat of having your pack opened may be good enough), and tells attendees you're serious about the quality of impressions.

And for those who think "oh, my kit will never measure up," I can say that kit is not the real obstacle for mainstreamers making the transition to campaigning that it was 5-10 years ago. The advent of fine sutlers and some very good "amateurs" making uniforms, etc. out of love more than a desire for money has meant that kit is generally very good these days. Good enough that anyone who wants to come to a "history heavy" event can likely come with what he has, upgrade a little bit, and probably borrow whatever else he needs.

Mike Murley used to come to events with enough "kit" for three men, loaning out lots of gear to pards and newbies. I've loaned out, other campaigners have, too. The goal is to get fellers into the field, not have a "kewl klub." It works.

And most authenticity standards offer quite a bit of latitude. They might "prefer" a state-issue jacket, but they'll take a sack coat. They might "prefer" an Enfield, but will take a Springfield. It's not odious, and those who really want to come usually have no serious problems. If your kit is THAT bad, maybe you'd want to upgrade it? I've seen your impression, and it would fly at a so-called "hardcore" event.

Sorry, RJ, that dog don't hunt. Authenticity inspections (when handled right, not the ridiculous 100 point checklist at one event I attended a few years back) weed out the non-serious and the unsafe. If anyone is scared to come to an event with an inspection, they're either not serious or have the wrong information. I've heard many fellers say they wouldn't go because of the inspection who wouldn't go if I beamed them their ala "Star Trek."

sbl
06-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Good to see the DC comics fans were represented.

ewtaylor
06-02-2006, 05:35 PM
I forgot how easy feelings get hurt here. I don't really care what you are or what you call yourselves, its just a hobby.
ew taylor

toptimlrd
06-03-2006, 12:01 AM
Laugh,.........cry,...........laugh,.............c ry,........... not sure which is appropriate.

Not sure about some of your friends out there, but most of mine ask all sorts of questions when they learn I'm a reenactor. For the most part they seem to have quite a bit of respect for what we do. Maybe it's the part of the country I'm in. When I go to a streamer event, the taters are parked for miles around and often have to have shuttle busses bring them in from remote lots.

I am starting to feel the pull to the dark side though and need a few more items in my kit and I will be at some of the events. Was hoping to go to Chickamauga, but it is looking like I won't have everything I need before then (still need accoutrements, sky blue pants, forage hat, haversack) due to funds not being available right now. Most of my gear is authentic except the above listed (the above listed is better quality streamer stuff not the import junk).

8thILCavalry
06-03-2006, 03:05 AM
Ah, well, OK, I just watched it.
Hmmmm??? Well??? OK ???? where do I join??? :)

bob 125th nysvi
06-03-2006, 08:30 PM
They do know the difference at 200+ yards the difference between a 350 man regiment and a 100 man regiment....

It's that old 5 yard rule again....

And by 1864 there were a few 100 man regiments around and a WHOLE lot more of them by April 1865.

And at 200 yards the spectators don't know HOW many "regiments" are out there.

All they know is did they enjoy the afternoon or not.

Bob Sandusky
Co C 125th NYSVI
Esperance, NY