PDA

View Full Version : Perryville Kentucky 06

captdougofky
05-31-2006, 10:49 PM
Looking forward to Perryville. It will have both Mainstream and Hardcores and I just bet we all get along. Plenty of timber for the A/C guys and gals and plenty of open ground for the people like myself. I don't expect the crowd to be as big as 02 with the cost of admission compared to last time. There are some on this forum that will complain about the wall tents etc., but they complain about something all the time. This forum is made for those unfortunate few. The rest of us will have a good time, both A/C and Mainstream.

Doug
Lyons Battery
Kentucky

VaTrooper
05-31-2006, 11:23 PM
Not sure if i'll go to Perryville, long drive and bad cavalry feedback.

captdougofky
06-01-2006, 12:46 AM
Not sure if i'll go to Perryville, long drive and bad cavalry feedback.
Cavalry had a bad feedback after 02 you should hear Artillery, things will be different this time, I know Kentucky and it will be better for both CAV. and Artillery.

Always Doug
Lyons Battery
Kentucky

Button Whizzer
06-01-2006, 07:30 AM
Cavalry had a bad feedback after 02 you should hear Artillery, things will be different this time, I know Kentucky and it will be better for both CAV. and Artillery.

If I had a dollar for every time I heard "things will be different this time," then I could buy a new pair of shoes. That phrase does not instill confidence.

Brandon

flattop32355
06-01-2006, 10:02 AM
If I had a dollar for every time I heard "things will be different this time," then I could buy a new pair of shoes. That phrase does not instill confidence.
Brandon

That depends...this time the North/South Alliance is involved, which has a recent history of trying to do things better. They're in command of most of the troops, if not the event itself.

It also depends upon what the previous problems were, and whether they were brought up to the Powers-That-Be to be addressed, or just griped about in the background.

VaTrooper
06-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Thats just a long drive to drag a horse at the hopes of it being better. Id rather miss an event that turns out good than gamle $400+ on it.

indguard
06-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Id rather miss an event that turns out good than gam(b)le $400+ on it.

Sounds to me like you'll be staying home a lot then!

Perryville will be a great event. Probably the best large one of the year.

But, let's face one thing. There wasn't much cavalry at the battles that the Park does most of the time, anyway!

Still, this event will surely be a prime one.

RJSamp
06-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Bernie, NSA was involved in P2002 as well.

Button Whizzer: P2002 is thought of as one of the better large scale events ever.....don't know what your lack of confidence message is based upon...but

Cavalry action at Perryville was limited, at best. If we use reenacting Cavalry so as to not bore them to death (and give them reasons to spend $400+ to bring our equine friends to events) then we run the risk of cavalry fighting inappropriately (mounted charges at the Battle of Franklin NSA 2004 vs entrenched infantry) or non-historically (create some fictitious skirmish and saber dances/pistolero charges where none occurred) at Franklin 2004, Corinth 2005, etc.

This leads to a real problem.....
Either don't give any reason for cavalry to come to the event (this is what occurred at P2002).....or give up historical accuracy and PO the reenactors/spectators that are coming to see the Battle of Perryville on the original battle field.

If you are expecting to come to P2006 and recreate Rummel's Farm (July 3 1863 Gettysburg) or Trevillian's Station or Selma.....then you are bound to be disappointed. I'd think long and hard about becoming a courier/aid an infantry regiment in mounting up their field grade officers/become part of a brigade or Division staff. Perryville is not the clash of the mounted arms battle that is bound to give the fox hunting set a thrilling time.

I would expect you to be on Morgan's Raid II just after Labor day.....just north of Kentucky albeit farther east of Perryville. This will be THE mounted event of 2006...60 miles in 4 days over original trails....dismounted skirmishes.....reactions to ambush.....scouting and masking of forces from the enemy...

Hope to see you there!

RJ Samp

PS: I haven't heard anything truly negative about Artillery at P2002 and have some decent conversations about P2002 with Artillerists Eric Essex, Chuck Warnick, and Mike Millette. They were ecstatic about recreating the 7 gun battery on the knob....and the firing of the Parrott guns from a mile away on that far eastern bluff that the Confederates actually did. Seeing the puffs of smoke from the remote hill and recalling that that is where and when they actually fired up Union forces was one of the high points of P2002 for me....don't know what the disappointment for the Red Legs is on that one....

VaTrooper
06-01-2006, 01:37 PM
O yes, Morgans Raid is the cavalry event for the year. The 6th Ohio should be getting my registration any time. The price goes up from $50 to $75 if it wasnt post marked by the 1st. I think Im the only one in my unit to do so. Suckers.

ilfed104
06-02-2006, 02:26 PM
If the cavalry wasn't involved in the particulars battles being portrayed over the weekend why bother having them present?

It seems about as useless as having cavalry at the last Franklin event.

This isn't a t-ball league where you have to play all the kids in every game. If I was cav I'd find something else to do Perryville weekend.

Rick Keating

ewtaylor
06-02-2006, 05:41 PM
P140 was a great time. Of course I only do infantry. One thing I do remember was early Saturday morning seeing the Cav in a long line on the ridge as a silhouette. I was with the 9th Tx and they had the drums and flutes playing. I don't remember what happened to the Cav after that.
ew taylor

Doug Cooper
06-03-2006, 01:55 AM
There were small but significant cavalry actions pre and post Perryville, but nothing of import the day of the battle - though I tend to think men on horses are important for their traditional missions of scouting, communications and picket, vice crossing sabers. The Perryville organizers have chosen to portray the significant cavalry skirmishes on the Danville Pike post battle to give the boys with the best view something to do. Contact the 1FD or AoT for particulars.

8thILCavalry
06-03-2006, 03:24 AM
I was at the 2002 battle as a dismounted Cav. and yes we were mad we had to play elsewere during the battle. We first got orders to galvinize to the rebs, Ok we were ready, then came down the lines we were going back to our side, Union. then 15 minutes later we got Rebs again. and then we were told we were not going to be in the battle at all.

And then we heard Union again and we were placed in a different field away from the Infantry battles. A lot of us were steamed. But some of us cooled off when we were in the battle for the cavalry,

Because we had an experience we never had before. We were in a major battle and we were hearing another major battle in the distance. It made a feeling that you were in a very large battle.

I will be going this year. I hope it will be better, but hey, if I don't have to sit thru another hurricane at Perryville, then it will be better. :D

captdougofky
06-03-2006, 08:27 AM
To add what the 8th IL. Cav said I was part of a ten gun section 1 mile from the park behind a barn, using us for background noise. To say there were people upset is a understatement.

Doug
Lyons Battery
Kentucky

Doug Cooper
06-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Last I heard there was a real effort at the event this year to place the guns exactly where they were during the battle - pretty cool idea to be standing on the exact spot portraying the battery in question - not many places one gets to do that. Again, contact the 1FD and AoT for particulars.

bob 125th nysvi
06-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Last I heard there was a real effort at the event this year to place the guns exactly where they were during the battle - pretty cool idea to be standing on the exact spot portraying the battery in question - not many places one gets to do that. Again, contact the 1FD and AoT for particulars.

When you could be a mile from the action and just background noise.

Yes that is what really happened in some cases but if the artillery wants to do that they can stay home and make noise.

We do have to make SOME compromises if we want people to enjoy themselves and come back.

Maybe the only Batteries portrayed should be those that actually were up on the MLR or maybe batteries that were forced to displace by enemy advances. Then they could portray a long distance fire support mission coupled with some close in firing followed by a bug out. Even losing a gun or two to enemy capture has got to be better than being on the other side of the parking lot.

Bob Sandusky
Co C 125th NYSVI
Esperance, NY

captdougofky
06-04-2006, 09:48 AM
We where on a original placement of a Alabama Battery which is still in private hands. What did the crowd see nothing, what did the guns see nothing. What did it do for Perryville the next year when people like myself who have been there every year not just the Nationals, ask Kurt the park director. very very small group show up. I'm still mad about 02 and if 06 is anything close to what happen in 02 Perryville will lose in the long run.

Always Doug
Lyons Battery
Kentucky

ilfed104
06-04-2006, 11:09 AM
move forward... oh, I forgot, you don't have any horses! Never mind!

Doug Cooper
06-04-2006, 01:11 PM
When you could be a mile from the action and just background noise.

Yes that is what really happened in some cases but if the artillery wants to do that they can stay home and make noise.

We do have to make SOME compromises if we want people to enjoy themselves and come back.

Maybe the only Batteries portrayed should be those that actually were up on the MLR or maybe batteries that were forced to displace by enemy advances. Then they could portray a long distance fire support mission coupled with some close in firing followed by a bug out. Even losing a gun or two to enemy capture has got to be better than being on the other side of the parking lot.

Bob Sandusky
Co C 125th NYSVI
Esperance, NY

Bob - I did not mean to say that ONLY original positions are to be used, but my impression was that some of them would be. Sheesh, sure is a lot of angst on here. Again, contact the commanders for the straight word.

indguard
06-04-2006, 04:43 PM
I think if I was in the cavalry, I'd rather be a horse holder. That way, I could stay home but still claim to be there. I'm just outta site, holdin the horses!

Seriously, Perryville has been carefully planned to get the maximum history out of the progressive/mainstream combination.

Folks REMEMBER this... we are fighting on a REAL battlefield. You don't get much chance to do that. And, also, the money the event makes goes straight to the battlefield park for its upkeep, preservation and enlargement!

It's the best of all worlds together.

Need info?

Here is the website to the event:

http://www.perryvillereenactment.org/

captdougofky
06-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Got plenty of horses here in Kentucky, Rick stop by and haul them to Perryville for me.

Doug
Lyons Battery
Kentucky

ilfed104
06-04-2006, 10:17 PM
you got the horses you can haul 'em. I'm just an old infantryman, emphasis on old. I just haul my sorry old ass.

Rick Keating

chad greene
06-06-2006, 11:29 AM
No artillery will be placed on remote sites this year unless they specifically request going onto an original site. If you are interested in being on an original gun placement please contact either Kurt Holman or myself regarding this request.
Thanks,
Chad

captdougofky
06-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Thanks Chad for calming my fears I have been suppoeting reenacting here in Kentucky for over a decade, and behind the barn like 02 was a wrong. Thanks

Doug Thomas
Lyons Battery 1st. Ky Vols.
Shepherdsville, Kentucky