PDA

View Full Version : Federal Units in the Chattanooga area

zouavecampaigner
02-22-2008, 06:58 PM
Friends,

I am looking for Federal units in the Chattanooga, TN area (or units that portray both Federals and Confederates). Any recommendations and/or websites I should check out?

I am ESPECIALLY interested in any units (US or CS) who do zouave portrayals!!!

Thanks, very much!

Shaun Grenan
Gettysburg, PA

Mothers-Finest
02-23-2008, 11:42 PM
Well, we are based out of the Atlanta area, but have members everywhere. We do aolot of events up in Tenn. Ala, Ga and others. We are a sharpshooting unit. Where ever the most fighting, we in the thick of it. http://www.georgiasharpshooters.org/.

10TN
02-25-2008, 09:47 AM
Shaun- coming to our neck of the woods?- for federal in that area check with Jim Butler at the Southeast coalition of authentic reenactors(SCARhttp://www.geocities.com/scar_civilwar/) .
They have some member units in that vicinity. Unfortunatly you won't find much Zouve activity on this side of the Appalacians. Since Zouve seemed to be more of an eastern fad during the period, not many battles (and thus reenactments) incorporated them. An zouve impression will pretty much limit you to the lower end anything goes segment of the reenactment spectrum.

zouavecampaigner
02-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Since Zouve seemed to be more of an eastern fad during the period, not many battles (and thus reenactments) incorporated them. An zouve impression will pretty much limit you to the lower end anything goes segment of the reenactment spectrum.

Leland,

Ahh, well then, maybe I will have to change the perceptions of those reenactors, and the public, in the "Western Theatre", as there were a number of zouave units out that-a-way, and I guess that most people just don't know about them. I already have my 12th Indiana kit and my 13th Louisiana kit, and those were just a couple of the units out there to don zouave or zouavesque uniforms.

As for a CS unit, actually, I was wondering where abouts the 10th TN operates, as I have always been interested in their history, as I had a possible ancestor in that regiment.

Regards,
Shaun Grenan

10TN
02-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Yea-there is a group that does the 12th Indiana-saw them several years ago at a Shiloh but the only time I pay attention to CS units is over a gunsight:-). My unit of name and interest is actually the 10th TN Inf (U.S.), a union unit recruited in Tennessee. I concentrate on Co. G, which had a high proportion of West Tennesseeans and Co. A of the 11th Tennessee that was consolidated withthem after Nashville. The 11th was initally recruited in Memphis, but never acheived actual regimental size. Several companies being organized for it were transferred to the 6th TN cav. Co. A remained independent and was apparently assigned to the provost marshal's office in Nashville.
The 48th Tennessee reenactment group also uses the 10th Tennessee U.S. when they occasionally do federal. I don't know of anyone doing the CS 10th Tennessee

Shaun-here's a puzzle for you-from the diary of Jenkins Jones, 6th Wis. Btty-may 2, 1864 at Huntsville Alabama
"In the same brigade(as the 26th Wisconsin) was a regiment all the way from Jersey, regular blue blooded yankees. made a strange appereance in their leggings and yellow tassels"-

sounds like Zouves to you?

zouavecampaigner
02-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Shaun-here's a puzzle for you-from the diary of Jenkins Jones, 6th Wis. Btty-may 2, 1864 at Huntsville Alabama
"In the same brigade(as the 26th Wisconsin) was a regiment all the way from Jersey, regular blue blooded yankees. made a strange appereance in their leggings and yellow tassels"-

sounds like Zouves to you?

Leland,

that's the 35th NJ Zouaves, aka "Cladek's Zouaves". They were dressed in the "Federal Issue" Zouave uniform, but wore the yellow tassel, instead of the blue one usually worn.

The 33rd NJ Zouaves also were out west in their zouave uniforms, and they were known as the 2nd Zouaves or Mindl's Zouaves.
(www.geocities.com/zouavedatabase/cwuni.html)

Also, thank you for the info, I really appreciate it. I will probably end up just going as a fall-in to a couple of events until I find the right kind of b'hoys to call my comrades on a more permanent basis. (yes, I have a blue kit hahaha)

Regards,
Shaun Grenan

tenfed1861
03-09-2008, 07:27 AM
Shaun,
I know a few people who work around that area.I will get in contact with them and then send the info on to you.Can I please ask as to why you are coming west?
Highly dressed zouve next the rough and dirty westerners.Why is it hard for me to imagine?

kaelinv
03-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Hello,
If you are looking for a group in Chattanooga, then check out the 37th Tenn. Dave Thomas is the commander, the website is www.37thtennessee.com, the 37th is doing Bridgeport, Al. (Federal), doing several other events this year federal. Hope this helps!

kaelinv
03-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Sorry I forgot to sign my name.

Kaelin Vernon
37th Tenn. Co. H
2nd Maryland Co. E

zouavecampaigner
03-10-2008, 04:26 AM
Thanks, very kindly, for the guidance!

Regards,

Shaun

zouavecampaigner
03-10-2008, 04:28 AM
Highly dressed zouve next the rough and dirty westerners.Why is it hard for me to imagine?

Cullen,

ahh, then you don't know me as well as you think, my friend ;)
The 114th PA are the rough-and-tumblest, mud slogginist, ground hugginist, dirt lugginist fancy-pants-wearinst soldiers in the Federal Army!! ;)

Regards,
Shaun

Ross L. Lamoreaux
03-10-2008, 05:15 AM
Shaun- coming to our neck of the woods?- for federal in that area check with Jim Butler at the Southeast coalition of authentic reenactors(SCARhttp://www.geocities.com/scar_civilwar/) .
They have some member units in that vicinity. Unfortunatly you won't find much Zouve activity on this side of the Appalacians. Since Zouve seemed to be more of an eastern fad during the period, not many battles (and thus reenactments) incorporated them. An zouve impression will pretty much limit you to the lower end anything goes segment of the reenactment spectrum.
I would also throw in S.C.A.R. and the Salt River Rifles as well. We've been getting out alot more the last few years and have some pretty good events on the horizen. http://www.geocities.com/saltriverrifles/ for the Salt River Rifles (Jim Butler) and http://www.geocities.com/scar_civilwar/ for the overall groupings under S.C.A.R.

jademonkey
03-10-2008, 07:09 AM
Shaun,

While we do not do any Zouave impressions - you are welcome to check out the Armory Guards ( www.armoryguards.org ). We are a campaign-oriented LH group with most members hailing from the Atlanta and Chattanooga metros. We tend to do about half and half in terms of US/CS for events. Good luck and hope to hear from you. -Garrett

zouavecampaigner
03-10-2008, 08:59 AM
My Kingdom for a campaigner/progressive unit that does "basic" US, CS, and Zouave! (they don't have them out east either, all you have is my own unit) Hrm, how far to the Red River Battalion?

Cullen, here's an oldie that I dug up for you today!
(I don't know how to embed a photo, sorry, but I did attach a tiny one)

Western Theatre Zouave, Winter of 1864!

Regards,
Shaun

tenfed1861
03-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Cullen,

ahh, then you don't know me as well as you think, my friend ;)
The 114th PA are the rough-and-tumblest, mud slogginist, ground hugginist, dirt lugginist fancy-pants-wearinst soldiers in the Federal Army!! ;)

Regards,
Shaun
Ahh.So they should look like mosters from the boggs like a good westerner should.Perfect.
Good photo.I do remember seeing a photo of one zouave unit outside of Atlanta.The same photo also says they were in PA.I will try and find it so you can vearify for me.

reddcorp
04-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Pard:

You may want to check out the 19th Alabama/42 Indiana. www.19thalabama.org. They are based in Huntsville, but have many member in Tennessee as well. The 19th is a fine group of fellows. Of course the 33rd Alabama/6th Indiana is always looking for good, upstanding new men to fill our ranks. Most of our fellows are in the Birmingham and Montgomery areas.
Good luck to you.

Andy Redd
33rd.Ala.