PDA

View Full Version : Governors island in NY Harbor

josephkorber
02-20-2008, 04:28 PM
There's a thread going on another board that is pointing out a very real need and a very real threat to the Historic integrity of Governors island.
The Island's military history spans from the birth of our nation to not so long ago. It was the home of the army's field music school for decades during the 19th century . It housed ACW prisoners. It was a training camp for many a boy in blue as well as stop for many more on their journey south to join in the struggle. It continued to be a any army base for many years after the war and ended its military career as a home for the coast guard. It now belongs to NPS and their effort to maintain its historic integrity is being challenge by a group that would bring the pressure of society' s social elite, forsake history and destory a so called "decaying military fort" for the sake of what will amount to an almost inaccessible theater in a city already overflowing with theaters
here's a link to the thread, we can helpp by going to NPS and showing them that we as historians support their effort to maintain the historical integrity of Governors Island Historic Monument

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/showthread.php?p=94585#post94585

thanks for your help
J Korber
New York, NY

CheeseBoxRaft
02-22-2008, 09:23 PM
Now that's a blast from the past for me. I was once stationed on a CGC that docked at GI's "Y" pier. That was a long time ago. I recall the old brick buildings and the forts. I paid little attention to them at the time. Ahhh... my misspent youth.

http://www.geocities.com/~jmgould/ftpix/jay10.jpg

winlo1863
03-03-2008, 12:39 PM
The situation at Governors Island is real and it is severe. There are people activly attempting to destroy and remove the Military history of New York and the Nation. One group is trying to take Castle Williams, an 1811 Fort an turn it into a stray cat santuary. Another Group called the Global Theater which has the backing of some in hollywood and most of the New York area Democratic politicians, want to make the fort into a Shakspearean theater. The Governors Island National Monument should not only stay a national Historical Treasure but other parts of the Island should be placed within the boundry of the national park. Areas like the entire glacis and Nolan Park, Colonels row,and the south battery deserve to be preserved and kept in the publics trust for the enjoyment of future generations. Please go to the Governors Island web site to read the proposed General management plan and please post a comment that will reflect the Living History Communities desire to preserve and even add to the National Monument at Governors Island. The Plan and the comment link can be found at:

http://www.nps.gov/gois

Also Please contact your Senators and Congress People and let them know that Governors Island should not be turned into anything but a place for generations to learn about our Country's history so that the men that served on the island and protected our Country to perserve or rights and freedoms will not be forgotten.

Please keep in mind that the comment period ends March 18, 2008 at 11:59PM. There is also a Public Hearing on March 10th on the matter at The Federal Hall Monument, 26 Wall Street, New York from 5:00 - 7:00PM for anyone that can attend and give their opinion.

captdougofky
03-10-2008, 10:00 AM
I like another poster spent a little time at Governors Island while in the USCG. When did they quit using it. I was there in the mid 70's. It was a great place to stay while visiting the city.

Always
Doug Thomas
Lyons Battery CS
Kentucky

CheeseBoxRaft
03-10-2008, 12:47 PM
I like another poster spent a little time at Governors Island while in the USCG. When did they quit using it(?).

The last time I was in NYC was 1996. I went down to the battery wanting to see my old duty station. As I looked across the water I wondered why everything looked so quite on the island. It was only until later that I found out that CG had already closed the base a few months before.

captdougofky
03-10-2008, 11:39 PM
The last time I was in NYC was 1996. I went down to the battery wanting to see my old duty station. As I looked across the water I wondered why everything looked so quite on the island. It was only until later that I found out that CG had already closed the base a few months before.

Thanks for the info. Seems like yesterday.

Always
Doug Thomas
Lyons Battery CS
Kentucky