PDA

View Full Version : central VA/mid atlantic CS unit

jthomas
02-13-2008, 09:36 AM
Hello everyone -this is my first post -so I hope everything is in order.
I was an "old" (I'm 35 now) hardcore around the 125th reenactments in the late 80's I got out of it and went to school and started a family etc. Lately I've been getting the "itch" again. I am looking for a unit that is authentic as possible but that allows the family along. We are homeschooling my son and our niece and thought I would be fun for them as well. Even hardcores mellow out!
I have been to a few events in the 90's and was not impressed with some of the
behavior of the CS units-One that even did a campfire routine in blackface! I guess what I'm saying is that I want to exclude politics from my CW experience. This may be a tall order...
Thanks for any help y'all can give.
Jim T

Stonewall_Greyfox
02-13-2008, 10:06 AM
Jim,

Unfortunately, I think it's impossible to totally exclude politics from any Civil War related activities...however, some groups are better than others and don't carry the baggage of some units.

I'll invite you to visit/participate in any event my unit is involved in...We portray the 23rd VA Vol. Regt. for all periods of the war...we also participate in other reenactment/living histories where we may portray soldiers of other CS units.

Our unit only portrays Confederate soldiers, is a fair group of guys, and typically have 1-2 events a year in which the families may participate...the rest of the calender is reserved for soldier only impressions.

The following is a link to our website:

http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm

If you think this may be of interest, contact me at the following email:

paulboulden[at]hotmail.com

Paul B.

Capt Terry
02-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Hello Jim,

I would ask that you consider our unit. We do most of our events in Virginia, We are family oriented and make every effort to maintain authenticity. Our members are absolutely great folks to spend the weekend with, we work hard to put our best impression forward and beileve our famililies should share the experience with us. You and your family would feel very comfortable with our unit. We are the 1st Regiment Kentucky Vols, Company E, CSA. That was the only Kentucky regiment to fight soley in VA. Our members are primarily from VA, NC and we have folks from MD, MI and KY. You will not find a better group to become associated with. If you would post your email I'll send you more info, or if you'd like I'd be happy to give you a call. Our dues 5.00 per member or 10.00 per family. That covers the cost of our website and dues to Longstreets Corps. My email is:
OldKentucky@embarqmail.com and our webiste is 1stky.org. You'll have to register, but it very quick and painless. The site forums has photos, Unit history, schedule of events and info about who we are.

Hope you give us a try.

MDConfederate
02-13-2008, 11:20 AM
The 2nd Maryland Infantry, Co. H is based in Maryland and members throughout the mid-Atlantic region. We offer the opportunity to participate in a wide range of events. Visit our website at www.geocities.com/maryland_2nd_company_h/. I can be reached at winderranger@comcast.net

I'm also a member of the Chesapeake Volunteer Guard, a progressive outfit that does both US and CS impressions. The CVG might be another option to consider and can be found at www.chesapeakevolunteerguard.org

Respectfully,
John A. Wyman
2nd Maryland, Company H
Chesapeake Volunteer Guard, Co. A

mmescher
02-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Good Afternoon, Mr. Thomas,

In your post you didn't mention where you are located since "Central Virginia" has a bit of latitude.

Like the other posts, I would offer my unit, the 42d Virginia, as a possible home. We are located mostly in Northern Virginia (although we do have members in Middletown and Frederick, MD) and our living history programs occur mainly in that area. For the larger events we travel further but usually within 100 miles.

We strive for authenticity and welcome families. We also do not require attendance at any minimum number of events. Our policy is that your family and job have to come first. Consequently this has sometimes limited the numbers we have able to attend some events but we aren't going to change that policy.

Within the unit, we also have two leaders in civilian subjects who are frequent speakers at national conferences and recognized authors.

Describing what we do would require a bit longer post so feel free to email me at michaelmescher@cox.net And if you elect to enlist with one of the other units, I'm sure we'll see you at an event sometime so be sure and introduce yourself.

Your obedient servant,

Sgt Michael Mescher
42d Virginia, Co. I
Campbell Guards