PDA

View Full Version : Repairing the "March of Mars"

hta1970
02-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Has anyone has a chance to read this book yet?

I saw it at Harper's Ferry at the AGSAS event in the bookshop but didn't buy it then. Ordered it last week and it arrived today. Wow! What a book! Tons of little tid-bits of information on medical practice and the Confederate medical service.

Also, if you haven't read "Doctor to the Front," I also highly recommend that book too. I forgot who suggested it, Maybe it Was Jimmy Nelson, but to whomever suggested it, thanks!

These books are journals/memoirs of veterans, the first by a hospital steward and the second by a surgeon, both whom served in the 2nd Corps of the ANV.

cwdoc45
02-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Let me know which side you are looking for & I'll add a longer list of books for Union or Confederate to the forum. I have about 150 doctors diaries (books) in my collection. I have included ISBN for ordering on Amazon or Borders.

A few are:
Civil War Surgeon - Biography of James Langstaff Dunn MD - ISBN 1-4208-8205-8 (Union - Eastern Theatre)

The Wounded River - The Civil War Letters of John Vance Lauderdale, MD ISBN # 0-87013-3328-4 (union riverboat surgeon )

A Darkness Ablaze - Dr. John H. Kinyoun - 66th North Carolina ISBN#0-9725353-6-5 (has his medical diary reproduced with name, rank, disease, date, disposition)

I hope to do my country service - letters of John Bennitt, MD 19th Michigan
ISBN # 0-8143-3170-X (Western Theatre - Tennessee)

Retreat From Gettysburg - Author Kent Masterson Brown ISBN# 0-8078-2921-8 (Lots of Medical info about the wounded & the retreat after Gettysburg back to Virginia - found it facinating!!!)

hta1970
02-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Trevor,

I reenact the Confederate side, ANV. 2nd Corps prefered but anything ANV will work.

Thanks for the list of books. I have read a few diaries from Virginia Tech, btu they really didn't add much, just like the book on Hunter McGuire. Some good ones out there and some not so good.

Again thanks for the help!

NoahBriggs
02-07-2008, 09:05 AM
And ISBNs to boot, which means that when I go to the book store or the library with these titles I'll have a long line of adoring bookstore/library employees who will love me for the rest of their days.

Thanks for the sharing!

hta1970
03-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Based on cwdoc45's recommendation I ordered "A Darkness Ablaze." It just arrived and while I haven't had a chance to read it, it does have the "medical diary" of the surgeon of the 66th NC Inf. These are actual photographs of the pages from that diare and quite legible. They make up a little more than half the book.

This "medical diary" includes the Monthly Register of Sick and Wounded Sep '63 to Apr '65 (Form 11); Morning Reports Jul to Apr '65 (Form 15); Return of Medical and Hospital Property Dec '63, June '64, Dec '64 (Form 3); what looks like a version of Form 1 Report of Sick and Wounded but registering each months numbers for each disease in columns for this regiment.

This "medical diary" comes from a field infantry regiment with a medical department staff of one surgeon, two assistant surgeons and one hospital steward. It is also a regimental and not a hospital register, which will provide some invaluable examples of how to create such a register yourself as well as what sort of diseases and injuries were being recieved by a regimental medical staff.

Thanks again for the great recommendation!

cwdoc45
03-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Check out the books on my 2-10-08 posting. There are more books with ISBN & descriptions for you!!

Happy Reading

hta1970
03-13-2008, 06:50 AM
Trevor,

What theater did the doctor in "Letters to Laura" serve?

Finished "A Darkness Ablaze" last night. IMO the book aside from his medical diary is worthless. Poorly written and nothing substantially new to learn. But the medical diary is really amazing and I would recommend it for that reason alone.

I am currently analysing the medical and hospital stores to see quantities on hand and used as compared to those specified in regulations. There are a few items missing and a few added which do not appear in regulations. For example the is no trepanning set or trocar listed.

Has anyone analysed the medical diary in this book?

cwdoc45
03-13-2008, 02:53 PM
Letters to Laura is a Tennessee doctor Urban Owen from outside of Franklin (Owen Hill, Tennessee). The local Masonic lodge is named after his father. I have visited his grave site in TN.

I found the medical diary the reason to buy the book "A Darkness Ablaze"