PDA

View Full Version : New Market, Sutler Row, What happened ?

13thKyCavCSA
05-22-2006, 08:33 AM
Does anyone know why there was a lack of Confederates shopping on Sutler row this past weekend at New Market ? I have heard rumors of a boycott by the CS side due to the camps being so unevenly spaced distance wise. I have also heard that the CS troops simply didn't want to make the hike over.

In talking to some of the vendors( yes some sell junk, but there was at least 3-4 there with quality stuff) many of whom do this full time to support their families, the weekend bordered on being a financial disaster. It is hard for me to believe that the folks that run New Market would have positioned the camps and Sutler row so ignorantly.

Back in the old days, Sutler row was across the highway and was accessible through a tunnel. While it was still a walk, it was still more evenly spaced than what they had this past weekend.

Also, they should really cut the grass. I went in one sutlers tent, and while the first five feet was cut, the rest of the space was overgrown with grass over a foot high, this overgrown mess was the sutlers living space.

While I did not have the long walk from my Federal camp,and I appreciated that, it is plain to see that someone dropped the ball here.

MStuart
05-22-2006, 09:19 AM
Ben:

Sutler row has been in that same spot for the last 5-6 years. While I saw plenty of gray troops both times I visited, I heard no grumblings about a boycott. It was nice to see a couple extra high quality sutlers there, though. "Bout time.

Mark

Wild Rover
05-22-2006, 10:00 AM
The event as a whole has been needing an overhaul for 10 years.

Perhaps this latest issue will be enough to reduce attendance which will create the atmosphere for some sort of change.

BTW- I preferred the years we camped and had the sutlers on the other side of 81, freed up a ton a "battle space" kept the toddlers and coolers outside the view of visitors, and the kettle korn hid.

But is there folks who go to it that really care anymore?

DColeman
05-22-2006, 01:30 PM
I don't know about the other stuff as I had a great time, but did any of you Rebs catch that big black snake we hearded your way on Sunday up past our batteries?
Mark, your dismounted Cav were a tough nut to crack on that fence line!

Dustin Coleman F-21
23 PVI
Birney's Zouaves

13thKyCavCSA
05-22-2006, 02:13 PM
We had a brown snake with yellow stripes up in the Federal camp. Not sure what kind that it was but we gave it a fairly wide berth.

As a Federal participant, I had a blast, just hated losing to the danged rebs.

I always enjoy visiting the higher quality sutlers. Seeing the folks from E,J, Thomas and Chris Daley made the 11 hour drive worthwile for me.

MStuart
05-22-2006, 02:32 PM
Dustin: If you'd told me there was a big snake coming our way we would have skedaddled a lot quicker!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

jweiland77
05-22-2006, 06:54 PM
Yeah the black snake went right in front of me he was at least 5 feet plus. My pard starting screaming Cobra and the battle line turned into a frenzy. I heard somebody killed it? I dont understand why if they did, It was trying to get away. About the Sutlers I think New Market is the only event that actually has the Union camp close to the sutlers. I thought there was alot of sutlers selling Confed. items.

bulletsponge
05-22-2006, 10:07 PM
Hmmm... "Qwality" sutlers - like the one purveying all sorts of variations on the "Fourth" flag of the Confederacy? :)

I noticed they were all by their lonesome on the other side of the vittles. Perhaps to put them as far away from C.J. Daley as possible!

John Teller

TimKindred
05-22-2006, 10:32 PM
Comrades,

So, were folks complaining that, while portraying infantrymen they had to actually WALK to get somewhere? Is that the point of this post?

Respects,

indguard
05-22-2006, 10:44 PM
I am picturing this scenario

Sutler- "Man, where are all the Confederates? Are they boycottin us 'er sumpthin'?"

Reenactor overhears last few words. Goes back to pards.

Reenactor-"Dude, did ja hear the Confederates are boycottin' the Sutlers at this event?"

Reenactor's Buddy 20 minutes later- "Hey, guys. Didja hear the Confederates said they'd never come to this event again? They said the Sutlers all suck and the event had the worst camps they ever saw."

His buddies- "Yeah, I hear the Confederates got ripped off by a Sutler and they had no water or firewood and they are all walking off the field."

What are events coming to these days?

MStuart
05-22-2006, 10:49 PM
I remember 140th Manassas. There were two dead and 40 hospitalized from the heat. And that was just Saturday.................(All totally untrue, but the reenactor rumor mill had it "confirmed")

Mark

bulletsponge
05-23-2006, 10:48 PM
Dom Stuart:

E se o rei nao quere ser derrotado, voce vai ter emprego serio!

MStuart
05-23-2006, 11:08 PM
Is he talkin' about my Mama?

Mark

bulletsponge
06-01-2006, 10:07 PM
Never!

But I was talkin' 'bout your Portuguese slogan...

MStuart
06-01-2006, 11:58 PM
John:

Ah yes.......a foreign take off of a pseudo well-known "entertainment" saying. Seems like everyone on the board has these fancy gaelic and/or latin trailers to their posts. So I decided I'd get me one so I could be part of the "cool" crowd. I couldn't find any free latin or gaelic transcriptions on the net so I used the next best thing - Portuguese!

Mark

Remise
06-02-2006, 12:01 PM
I am pretty sure one person, at least, did die of a heart attack at 140th Manassas, and as a resident at the time, I know Loudon County declared a state of emergency, and that every ambulance in the county was at Morven Equestrian Park, or whatever it was called. Sitting in one of the medical tents later, watching heat casualties come in on stretchers, I almost felt like I was in a real battle. I read at the time that, including spectators, 150-200 people were treated for heat exhaustion.

It was 104 degrees that day - the hottest day of the summer. I am looking forward to the somewhat cooler venue of Cedar Creek. Won't those people who play the loud music all night be surprised to see us three months early!

B.C. Milligan
First Penna. Reserves, Company K

cwrematchr
06-04-2006, 10:09 PM
His buddies- "Yeah, I hear the Confederates got ripped off by a Sutler and they had no water or firewood and they are all walking off the field."

What are events coming to these days?

Yeah, there was a problem with firewood on Friday night. Apparently there wasn't enough to go around and we had to wait until Saturday morning to actually get any! Needless to say, our battalion commander was gracious enough to make sure that what we had was evenly distributed.
There was no boycott; again, just complaints about the mile long hike up to the sutlers and the parking lot from our camp. It was very difficult to manage the distance since I had to leave early on Sunday morning. I had to take my car Saturday night to the parking lot near the museum, load up, and then drive back to the reenactor parking area, and walk back. But enough complaining, it's over. (Just do it campaign style from now on!)
In regard to the sutlers, I was glad to see Chris Daley, E.J. Thomas, and Brian Merrick there. Some mainstreamers complained about the usual prices but they were ignorant of the true authenticity displayed!

MDRebCAv
06-05-2006, 10:23 AM
But who would be king when he could be the power behind the throne?

cjdaley
06-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Does anyone know why there was a lack of Confederates shopping on Sutler row this past weekend at New Market ? I have heard rumors of a boycott by the CS side due to the camps being so unevenly spaced distance wise. I have also heard that the CS troops simply didn't want to make the hike over.

In talking to some of the vendors( yes some sell junk, but there was at least 3-4 there with quality stuff) many of whom do this full time to support their families, the weekend bordered on being a financial disaster. It is hard for me to believe that the folks that run New Market would have positioned the camps and Sutler row so ignorantly.

Back in the old days, Sutler row was across the highway and was accessible through a tunnel. While it was still a walk, it was still more evenly spaced than what they had this past weekend.

Also, they should really cut the grass. I went in one sutlers tent, and while the first five feet was cut, the rest of the space was overgrown with grass over a foot high, this overgrown mess was the sutlers living space.

While I did not have the long walk from my Federal camp,and I appreciated that, it is plain to see that someone dropped the ball here.

This was my first time setting up at New Market. I had tried for over 4 years to get in as a sutler and was happy when a space opened up for me.

It was my understanding that Troy Marshall from VMI decided to move the CS camps this year as a new piece of property was available which would allow the CS troops to camp on a different part of the original battlefield. Troy thought this would be a great opportunity for the reenactors to use more of the Hallowed Ground there. I don't think he did it make the reenactors walk more or to upset the sutlers.

Again, this was my first time there as a sutler, so I can't say for sure if there was less/more business on sutler row. I do know I was happy to meet scores of customers from both sides throughout the weekend.

One thing to keep in mind is that sutlers who set up at events like to complain. Thatís what we do. Itís too windy, itís too hot, itís too wet, itís too dusty, itís too muddy, sutler fees are too high, too many rocks, the troops are too far, the parking lot is too far, I have no change, no portapots on sutler row, no water on sutler row, too many sutlers, too many spectators, too many battlesÖ

You see itís the Song of the Sutler, we complain and we there is nothing left to complain aboutÖwe complain about that too. Take our complaints at face value. We do love our jobs and if we didn't we'd be doing something else.

ewtaylor
06-06-2006, 10:49 AM
You see itís the Song of the Sutler, we complain and we there is nothing left to complain aboutÖwe complain about that too. Take our complaints at face value. We do love our jobs and if we didn't we'd be doing something else.

Sounds a lot like the song of the reenactors. We complain about everything but always go back to the same ol' stage.
ew taylor