PDA

View Full Version : CS flag staffs

MDConfederate
05-19-2006, 09:43 AM
Does anyone have any information on the correct dimensions and characteristics of Confederate flag staffs for the Army of Northern Virginia? I'm sure there were many variations, but what were some of the common characteristics?

John A. Wyman

Jim Mayo
05-19-2006, 10:38 AM
Take a trip to Treadgear Iron works in Richmond. The NPS has a whole case of original flag staffs. Some are identified to the unit. They run from long sticks to nicely done staffs. It's worth the trip.

MDConfederate
05-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Thanks for your advice. I just don't have time to visit the Iron Works anytime soon. I had another person on another form suggest the Iron Works and said the staffs are one piece, about 8 to 9 feet long, and about 1 inch in diameter. Another person said he's seen some original staffs that are a red like color. I wonder if they are painted or stained?

John

Jim Mayo
05-19-2006, 06:14 PM
I would suspect that the staffs which are not finished but are saplings may have been late war. That leaves the finished or manfactured ones. If memory serves me correct, some were colored red and may have been painted. Some also had a channel carved around the staff where the flag ties would have gone.

Gary
05-24-2006, 09:42 PM
Museum of the Confederacy has some too. You might as well go there and speak with their curator (make appt) since you're going to Richmond. BTW, park at the Hospital and get your parking validated at the Museum of the Confederacy. Lunch at the Hospital is cheaper than in the streets too.