PDA

View Full Version : Okay, so, who watched CSI?

cblodg
05-18-2006, 09:54 PM
Well, I did.

With everything that was asked about on this site, the producers made us look like a bunch of crazies running around a field. Very little of the authenticity that was discussed by many, was followed. I don't even know if the buttons on the jacket they showed, were correct.

It was a true mockery of our hobby.

Chris

bob 125th nysvi
05-18-2006, 10:04 PM
and it didn't bother me. I don't take TV seriously so what do I care what they think or show.

Besides I've known fanatics in every activity I've ever done.

You know the guy who thinks there are NBA/NFL/MLB scouts in the stands at a sandlot pickup game.

Think there aren't a couple of off center individuals reenacting?

And CSI is built around the off-center.

Besides the guy that was around a month or so ago asking questions probably didn't have anything to do with the episode. That thing was in the can months ago.

Bob sandusky
Co C 125th NYSVI
Esperance, NY

MStuart
05-18-2006, 10:07 PM
Mockery? Oh heck yes!

But the authentic shooting the farb was abso-freaking-lutely priceless. Especially when it goes on, albeit in different ways, right here on this very forum. It was the only part of the show based on reality.

Mark

cblodg
05-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Mockery? Oh heck yes!

But the authentic shooting the farb was abso-freaking-lutely priceless. Especially when it goes on, albeit in different ways, right here on this very forum. It was the only part of the show based on reality.

Mark

You're right. That was pretty good, and I don't know how many times I have seen some one on their cell. I know, I know, we live in the 21st century, and even I have been guilty of doing so after the sun has gone down.

Chris

bill watson
05-19-2006, 08:38 AM
I thought the episode reflected with great accuracy the state of much Civil War reenacting. We had guys lined up on each side of a road shooting at each other and nobody falling down; we had a guy with a cell phone talking while the battle was going on. We had a guy shot with live ammo at an event.

Really, the first thing that wasn't plausible was a guy so over the top that he wore a corset in support of a myth and was otherwise dysfunctionally obsessed with the past, yet apparently could amass enough money to be able to afford his own body servant.

So my thought is if a wasp-waisted man in an original uniform with a mad gleam in his eye comes up to you at an event and tells you to put away your cell phone, just do it.

bill watson
05-19-2006, 08:40 AM
Oh, and this is definitely the episode that fellow was in here soliciting our help for. He said it would be part of the season finale. They don't work as far ahead as we think.

Regular3
05-19-2006, 08:40 AM
I watch CSI every week and last night was no exception. The scene with the reenactors didn't bother me - After all, it was used to provide clues to a murder, not to provide insight into the world of Civil War reenacting let alone Civil War history.

And it is possible that the guys asking questions about Civil War-era weapons was doing script research - Unlike movies, TV shows are shot only a few weeks in advance.

ewtaylor
05-19-2006, 12:55 PM
I didnt see anything wrong with it. Looked like a typical reenactment. After amusing at the "Duel", it got me thinking of the looneys out there who might try such a thing. Last month, at Cumberland Gap, a rumor was going around that a non-reenactor was trying to pass out real ammo.
ew taylor

bob 125th nysvi
05-19-2006, 08:23 PM
They usually have most of a season in the can before they start and the story lines for any unshot episode is fully developed before the season starts.

Sometimes I don't know if it is a blessing or a curse to have a degree in the field.

About the corsets. Yeah that is a fetish that does exist and caters to a high end crowd, want to be stunned some night just do an internet search on the subject.

And crazy people with lots of money. Ever hear of Howard Hughes? Besides you don't need to make money you can inherit it. I knew (in the late 70s) one of the girls who inherited part of the Cutler-Hammer fortune. She used to hang out in a department store talking to the girls in fine jewlery about once a week and then plunk down $500-$1000 for jewelry. Nice girl but had some really strange ideas and statements.

Bob Sandusky
Co C 125th NYSVI
Esperance, NY

bill watson
05-20-2006, 07:41 PM
Bob,

That fellow was in contact with a couple of us by email after he posted here. On the "mad reenactor" segment of that event they were only a month ahead with the research; additionally, he specifically mentioned it was going to be part of the season finale. I was surprised they were cutting it that close.

For everyone else, it's important to keep in mind that what they were researching with their questions was "reenacting" and what kinds of things are involved, not the war and how it can best be portrayed. I'm sorry if some folks were offended, but to me, they held up a mirror and there we are. That they focused on an aberrant nutcase rather than the more typical nutcases we all are is not a surprise; they are interested, after all, in the kinds of behavior that produce interesting problems in forensics.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
05-21-2006, 07:35 PM
Hallo!

Mockery?
IMHO, it was not a mockery at all but rather an exacting portrayal of how Hollywood (and the Media and Academia) view reenactors in general and Civil War reenactors in particular. :-(

On an unrelated "Hollywood" side of things, LORD OF THE RINGS and KING KONG Peter Jackson has a thing for WWI, and is said to host his own WWI events in New Zealand (al la the Gew 98's on Skull Island).

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt