PDA

View Full Version : Northern Illinois Area Events

8thILCavalry
05-17-2006, 08:53 PM
Events for northern Illinois, and Wisconsin and Indiana :)

May:-------------20-21 Naperville,IL Naper Settlement

June:------------ 10-11 Conner Prairie, IN.

July:------------ 7-9 Wauconda,IL
*************21-23 Glenview,IL The Grove
**************29-30 Merrillville,IN

August:----------5-6 Boscobel,WI

Sept.:------------ 9-10 Lockport,IL
***************16-17 Marengo,IL
***************23-24 Greenbush,WI The Wade House

Oct.: -----------6-8 Perryville,KY
*************7-8 Stockton,IL
*************21-22 Minooka, IL

DaveGink
10-04-2006, 07:54 AM
So what is that Minooka Event like? Some of the guys from my unit are going and I was wondering if I should try as well. I had other plans that weekend, but if the event is a fun one I may cancel them and attend.
Thanks!

RJSamp
10-04-2006, 08:14 AM
Dollinger Farm is a fun end of the season event at the height of the fall harvest. Pumpkins, corn shocks, crisp autumn air, farm setting near the Illinois River/Canal. Boat Horns at all hours of the day remind me of days spent on the banks of the Mississippi in my youth.

Federal camping this year is down by the farm in a pasture of Oak Trees. 8th IL Cavalry will be there and has 6 horses 'committed'....you'd be #7. Probably 80 rifles a side, 4 guns, and of course buglers galore on the Federal side (and an oom pah pah band).

Their is a civilian/soft core military camp in addition to the Federal military camp and the CSA camp (they're up on the other side of the LARGE battlefield in the wood....we alternate camping each year). Privates generally sleep in the open, or dogs, or a fly. Cavalry is usually a couple or so per A with all their horse equipments.

Jim Nemeth and I used to ride in on Friday Night 4 miles each way for a McDonald's drive through whilst mounted (the staff brought water out for the horsies in a cleaned out bucket)...and a gallop across the high school grounds....now the homes/subdivisions have grown up on both sides of IL-6 and it's no longer the 'rural' ride it once was.

Definitely a spectator, oriented see your buds, enjoy life event. Excellent food Saturday night, moving church service Sunday AM with singing (in parts!!!) and a brass band.

Pete Yurkonis is the Federal mounted commander. One pistol only. Be prepared for dismounted action. Sometimes we have a tactical Sat. AM....Federals have always won. CSA wins one day, Federal the next. They had a working tavern with stock corrals and a couple of wagons.....we fought over it/for it.

I-94 South to I-294 south to I 80 WEST first exit after I-55 is Minooka....go south past IL-6 to the T in the road, go West young man and go SLOW through the curves and hills about 1/2 mile to the farm. You can't miss it and the signage is Excellent. The entire community supports this and does the corn maze, hot apple cider, pumpkins for Halloween, ride on a miniature RR through the pastures, take a hay ride, watch a Civil War Battle, thing.

8thILCavalry
10-04-2006, 10:20 PM
Minooka is one of the best events there is. Very fun indeed.
But bring a Coat.

DaveGink
10-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Unfortunately I will not be able to change my plans for that weekend. Too bad because it sounds like a great event. I'll make sure to get it on my schedule for next year.

8thILCavalry
10-20-2006, 05:24 PM
Bump :o

This weekend!!! This weekend!!! Minooka

Bump :o