PDA

View Full Version : Infirmary Company

Gary
01-21-2008, 03:36 AM
Can someone educate me on a Confederate infirmary company? I know one was raised on the Barvarian model and its task was to remove injured men to the hospitals, thereby relieving the regiment (and its soldiers) of that task. But other than that, I've no details.

TimKindred
01-21-2008, 06:46 AM
Well,

There is this:

From the Richmond Dispatch, 4/16/1862, p. 2, c. 5

Infirmary Company. – Captain John Herbig’s command is now at the New Fair Grounds practicing light infantry drill from eight to ten o’clock, and from 2 to 4 o’clock daily. The balance of the time is devoted to instruction in the infirmary drill. The company promises to be a most valuable accession to the army, and it seems a pity that the plan for raising them had not been adopted at the outset of hostilities.

I would also suggest a search of the OR's, as there seems to be several references to them there.

Also, there is this:
The following statement is quoted from an address by S. P. Moore, M.D., surgeon-general of the Confederate States army, delivered at Richmond, Virginia, October- 19, 1875

The non-commissioned medical staff consisted of a hospital steward for each regiment or battalion, with the rank and emoluments of an orderly sergeant, his selection as a rule being made by the ranking medical officer of the command, usually a graduate or undergraduate in medicine, or one having had previous experience in handling drugs; and his duties were to have charge of the medical, surgical, and hospital supplies under direction of the regimental or battalion medical officer, caring for and dispensing the same, seeing that the directions of his superior as to diet and medicines were carried out, or reporting their neglect or failure. The regimental band constituted the infirmary detail to aid in caring for the sick in camp and to carry the wounded from the field of battle, and when so occupied were under the surgeon or assistant surgeon. When necessary, additional detail was made from the enlisted men to serve temporarily or permanently on the infirmary corps. In some instances, an enlisted man was detailed as hospital clerk, and with the hospital steward was required to be present at sick-call each morning; these soldiers, with the infirmary detail, were relieved from all other regimental duty, such as guard duty and police detail.

Emphasis added by me.