PDA

View Full Version : Mayan Long Count Ends during 150th!

Shermans_Neckties
01-18-2008, 10:56 AM
I don't really understand the mathmatics of it (something to do with the the use of three different dating systems used in parallel by the ancient Mayans) but the current 5,125 year-long time-cycle of history (called the Long Count) is supposed to end on either October 28, 2011 or on December 21, 2012... or fall somewhere in between.

To some folks, the end of the Long Count means the end of the world through a series of disasters, or it could be a soft but sudden evolutionary leap in the human condition, either physical or spiritual or both. (There is also the third possibility; those dates come and go and nothing happens.)

At any rate, both dates come during the 150th. If the Long Count ends October 28, 2011 we'll get Rich Mountain, Manassas, and a few other small but important skirmishes under our belts before Quetzalcouatl, Kalki, Jesus and/or the UFOs pay us an earth-altering visit. But if it ends December 21, 2012, then we get some biggies; Shiloh, the Peninsula, the Seven Days, 2nd Manassas, Antietam, Perryville, Fredericksburg, etc. At any rate, either date comes before we'll have the chance to reenact the 150th of Gettysburg, Chickamauga, the Wilderness, etc. etc. Bummer. In other words, you might not want to spend a lot of time working on that late-war impression.

Anyway... which end date of the Long Count fits better into your reenacting plans for the 150th?

----

P.S. Yes, it's mid-winter and I'm bored.

huntdaw
01-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Well, I'm going to feel pretty silly if the Second Coming happens and I'm standing picket somewhere in a Confederate kit.

CheeseBoxRaft
01-18-2008, 12:38 PM
...or it could be a soft but sudden evolutionary leap in the human condition, either physical or spiritual or both. That could account for why we carry around so much unused "junk" (noncoded) DNA. It's just waiting for the right moment to pop the cork and take us to the next level.

redleggeddevil
01-18-2008, 12:42 PM
I don't plan on missing out on this one. My plan (which, I admit, I haven't yet run past my wife) is to max out all my credit cards around Thanksgiving of 2012. I plan to buy all the really cool stuff I could never afford. I may not get to use it for long, but by God I will FINALLY get that Lorenz I want.

Of course, I had better order it now. The Rifle Shoppe should just about be able to deliver in time if I order now. 4 years is just about the proper lead time.

That, and I'm changing my name to Jaguar Paw. Just in case...

And don't even get me started on the predictions of Saint Malachi!

BlacknBlue1864
01-18-2008, 12:51 PM
That could account for why we carry around so much unused "junk" (noncoded) DNA. It's just waiting for the right moment to pop the cork and take us to the next level. At which point the desire to reenact will be transcended by the accumulated human experiences embedded in our DNA; each of our ancestors having passed their experiences onto us.

Imagine being able to just close your eyes, use your mind to look up the particular DNA "files" of your ancestor and then experience what he experienced in a clear memory-like format: "Wow! So that's what it felt like when a minie ball smashed into his kneecap." :shock:

Che
01-18-2008, 01:03 PM
That, and I'm changing my name to Jaguar Paw. Just in case... Oddly enough, I just watched that movie the other day. I'd been resisting viewing it because I can't stand that drunk sitting behind the camera. Despite myself I enjoyed parts of it, espcially when I wasn't nausiated by all the rotting corpes.

http://www.nomad4ever.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/Mel_Gibson_controversy_figure.jpg
"Someone please stop me before I direct again!"

flattop32355
01-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Well, I'm going to feel pretty silly if the Second Coming happens and I'm standing picket somewhere in a Confederate kit.

Then you might want to consider standing picket in a Union outfit.

huntdaw
01-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Ha! Ha! I guess it would be worth a try. Come to think of it, whenever I have done that, nothing apocalyptic happened. Might be something to it.

Frenchie
01-18-2008, 06:32 PM
Some of the same frauds and fruitcakes who are howling about the disasters to come when the Mayan calender "ends" are the same ones who predicted disaster when Planet X wandered through the Solar system in 2005. No, I didn't notice it either.

They're the same pea-wits and charlatans who warned us about massive power grid failures when Y2K came around and are currently whining about "climate change" ad nauseum.

If the Mayans were so smart, why are their descendants living in hovels? If the Africans or Arabs or Chinese or whoever else are the real creators of civilization and science, why aren't they the king of the hill?

Rob Weaver
01-21-2008, 01:12 AM
We adopted from Guatemala last year, so I'm covered. I got "Mayan..." :D

amontalvo915
01-21-2008, 01:41 AM
Actually, the reason why the Long Count has gained significance is because there are mulitudes of predictors out there that have all predicted a major earth changing event at that time. in the 16th Century, without even knowing anything about the Mayans and Aztecs, Nostradamus predicted that something world changing would happen in the exact same time frame. I believe there are some Chinese, Japanese, and Indian (as in from India) philosophers who have also predicted an earth shaking event at the same time. I will look into that one though. BUT BEWARE!!! At no point have they ever claimed it was going to be the end of the world. It is merely a prediction of an overwhelming change in history-a beginning of a new age, such as the fall of the Roman empire, the death of Alexander the Great, and other earth shaking events in history. What Nostradamus predicted was the end of the current way of life as we live it.

Now if you ask my two-cents, I believe the hollabaloo will be about the first cloned human. I read recently that they have sucessfully cloned an adult males cells, they just haven't attempted to impregnate a woman with them yet (too afraid of the social rammifications).

Oh, by the way, I LOVED THAT MOVIE!!! I bought Apocalypto the second it came out, of course I hated supporting Mel Gibson, but I have to admit, he is extremely talented in directing. X-ing out the Passion of the Christ (obviously it would have been popular even if it was horrendous, because of the religious topic), he is a great director, with Apocalypto and Braveheart under his belt I can't wait until the next one comes out.

Ashley M.

sbl
01-21-2008, 02:45 AM
Have you watched Apocalypto with Gibson's commentary?

The "thing" with "art" is that you have to judge the work and not the artist's personal life. Nowadays the artist's person life can be VERY public.

Reliccrazy
01-21-2008, 05:00 AM
If the Mayans were so smart, why are their descendants living in hovels? If the Africans or Arabs or Chinese or whoever else are the real creators of civilization and science, why aren't they the king of the hill?[/QUOTE]

Just because they were smart doesn't mean that lasts forever, thats like saying, why don't the Italians, British and Greeks still own a huge part of the earth? Why didn't the Germans win WW2? Africa, has never been a strong, just the Northern parts sometimes, Arabs, well the Mongols happened to visit in the 14th century and the Chinese, guess where your clothing was made!
Guess what too, life has not changed THAT much for the common people in south America. Good sayings in this case are, sh*t happens, what comes up must come down and nothing lasts forever!

amontalvo915
01-21-2008, 05:19 AM
We are forgetting that the Mayans are mostly unknown because they were ravaged and sacrificed by the Aztecs, which in turn the whole continent was totally annihilated by the Spanish Conquistadors and their horrible ways of treating the natives. The Chinese were ransacked by the Huns (As were the MIGHTY Romans); The Arabs, before the radicals, were some of the most learned people in the world. While Europe went backwards, the Arabs were performing modern medical procedures (brain surgery, where the patients actually survived). Humankind has a bad habit of losing great civilizations to Barbarians and fundamentalists.

Ashley M.

Pete K
01-21-2008, 05:48 AM
My oldest son will be 18 on the December date, so no one is going to deny him his adulthood. Period, end of sentence.
"So shall it be written, so shall it be done..." Yule Brenner "10 Commandments"

hanktrent
01-21-2008, 06:06 AM
Some of the same frauds and fruitcakes who are howling about the disasters to come when the Mayan calender "ends" are the same ones who predicted disaster when Planet X wandered through the Solar system in 2005. No, I didn't notice it either.

They're the same pea-wits and charlatans who warned us about massive power grid failures when Y2K came around and are currently whining about "climate change" ad nauseum.

Not to mention, back in the day, the Millerites and 1844.

I think there must be some urge in our brains to want to live through an "end of the world" type of scenario, so we are intrigued at any clue it might happen. For some people, it's so powerful they sell everything and stand on the hilltop waiting. For others, they build a bunker but otherwise live normally. For others, it's just a passing interest. And if one stretches the definition enough and really needs to believe, almost anything can be interpreted and retrofitted to prove the prediction true.

Sure, I think it'd be cool to see some major change in the world, but looking at history, the chance of it being in my lifetime, and being predicted, is about nil.

But it explains why the same scenario has been repeated so many times, so many ways, and gains immediate interest, even though previous predictions have been wrong.

For example, there's about as much evidence that the Mayans believed in a 25-year Harmonic Convergence prior to the end of the long count, as that they believed the long count signalled the end of the world. But both have been promoted in modern popular new-age thought. Or they were, until the Harmonic Convergence prediction proved kinda embarrassing.

Starting in 1987, we should be in a 25-year Mayan period of peace and love. Anyone noticed a downtick in wars and an uptick in global harmony lately?

Hank Trent
hanktrent@voyager.net

tenfed1861
01-21-2008, 07:08 AM
The thing about Nostradamus is that he predicted stuff in such a manner that it would come true.He knew how to phrase it so we would not be 100% sure if that's what he ment or not.If he was predicting stuff as "A man by the name of John F. Kennedy will be killed in Nov. of 1963,then this will..."then I might listen up.But he predicted things in a way so we won't be sure.What did Penn and Teller say back in 2003,"I predict there will be a great natural disaster within the next 5 years.If it happens,you heard it here first".

As far as the Mayan calander.What did Hank say.They predicted a 25 year period of peace and love.Oh yeah,lots of love in the world today.And didn't people predict the world would end in 2000?Didn't people forsee a nuclear holocaust between the US and the Soviets back in the 80s?The Mayans,while they knew thier stuff,were not always 100% on.So party on those dates,but don't treat it real.
Cullen

Filthy_Confederate_Scum
01-21-2008, 08:33 AM
If the Africans or Arabs or Chinese or whoever else are the real creators of civilization and science, why aren't they the king of the hill? For the same reason "whitey" won't remain king of the hill forever. Change happens.

sbl
01-21-2008, 11:07 AM
"For the same reason "whitey" won't remain king of the hill forever."

That takes the pressure off! Pheeeeeeew!

vamick
01-23-2008, 04:36 PM
"For the same reason "whitey" won't remain king of the hill forever."

That takes the pressure off! Pheeeeeeew!

YEAH! Im D***** glad I wont be 'running things' anymore!:cool:

cause in looking around,,,I dont think Ive been doing a very good job,,,,:D

redleggeddevil
01-23-2008, 05:06 PM
I tell you, this is just my luck. I have been on the losing side in every fight I have ever picked, and NOW the world is going to end (ruining Christmas, I might add) and it is a NON-WESTERN apocalypse! Why can't we have a nice, Anglo-Celtic doomsday, where at least I would feel at home as the universe implodes and all matter turns to energy in a millisecond?

NO! We have to have an apocalypse where I don't even understand the language, and I won't be able to figure out what the heck is going on as my atoms fly apart at the speed of light. Typical!

CheeseBoxRaft
01-23-2008, 06:50 PM
I tell you, this is just my luck. I have been on the losing side in every fight I have ever picked, and NOW the world is going to end (ruining Christmas, I might add) and it is a NON-WESTERN apocalypse! Why can't we have a nice, Anglo-Celtic doomsday, where at least I would feel at home as the universe implodes and all matter turns to energy in a millisecond?

NO! We have to have an apocalypse where I don't even understand the language, and I won't be able to figure out what the heck is going on as my atoms fly apart at the speed of light. Typical! You need not worry. Atoms won't be flying apart. The world itself won't even come to an end. It'll just be a typical reversal of the magnetic poles which is pretty commonplace in geologic time. They will be earthquakes, volcanos, tidal waves, storms, floods; all very Western-like.... except the west will end up at at the bottom of the new South Pole. Pretty cool. Literally.

It's just too bad you, me and most of the rest of humanity won't live through it, but that's OK. The human race survived the last pole shift 12,500 years ago so some of our kind will make it and can start all over in a depopulated world. Maybe someday when things calm down and they get bored they'll unearth all theose monuments under the Gettysburg Ice Flow and then they'll invent a new religion and start worshiping the Civil War just like we.... well.... do now.

bob 125th nysvi
01-26-2008, 10:15 PM
I don't really understand the mathmatics of it

making those absurd claims.

I'm assuming you watched the recent History Channel episode on the entire nonsense.

It was interesting to note that the claimants went a long way to stretching the diffinition of the cotunes (sic) in order to make their point. They included very general events and twisted the definiton a little to make the event fit the vague (aren't they always) prophicies.

Also they included events in America to prove their point as if there wasn't a whole world with events happening at the same time that had no resemblence to the prophecies.

If the world does end as the long count predicted I see some very beneficial things happeneing:

1) the stupid 'us v them' debates on these forums will disappear forever as will the 'my gear is better than your gear' and 'my event is better than your event' threads.
2) We won't have a long argument on which Gettysburg Annaversery event was the best, how many bodies actually took the field and is the hobby declining or growing.
3) I won't have to sit through anymore elections where the politicians say nothing and assume I'm too stupid to know they are lying to me.
4) I won't have to file income taxes for 2012.
5) the Clintons will be gone forever (probably without me having to suffer through Hillary being president)
6) I won't have to listen to Al Gore lecture me on the fuzzy (an incorrect) assumptions and sciences (?) of the 'green house' effect and what I need to do about it when his carbon footprint is bigger than my whole family's.
7) I won't be flooded on radio by right wing talk show hosts thinking I'm as stupid as the politicians assume I am or on TV by left wing talk show hosts who don't have enough cotton fluff between their ears to hold the top of their heads up.

the list could go on and on

Oh YEAH

I won't have to sit through one more round of my mother endlessly telling the stories same about how cute I was and all the funny things I did 40+ years ago while having nothing to say about anything I've done in the mean time as if those years didn't exist.

Do mother's bring their stories to the after life?

If the world is going to end bring it one baby its more than about time.

I do have one question though.

If the world doesn't end will we finally be free of all the stupid Mayan-Nostradamus-Da Vinci Code types forever?

Anybody older than 40 remember a book titled "The Late Great Planet Earth", which I think made the NY Times best seller list in the early 70's? Still got my copy and oh by the way .....

We are well past the date the planet was supposed to end according not only to the book referenced above but the first round of hysterics (which have actually ocurred multiple times I might add) by the predictions of the end of the world in the New Testament.

sbl
01-26-2008, 11:40 PM
Jeeezz Bob,

I'm lookin forward to getting my $1800.00 stimulus package! My canteen is half-full.

ThumbStall
01-26-2008, 11:40 PM
Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No h&ll below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

- John Lennon

BlacknBlue1864
01-26-2008, 11:52 PM
And no religion too ... Now that is one thing I'd like to see in my lifetime.

Slickrick214
01-27-2008, 12:51 AM
Maybe when that time comes all the dead Civil War soldiers will come back from the dead and fight side by side with us. I wouldn't mind fighting next to Robert E. Lee even if he has been dead for 150 plus years.

bob 125th nysvi
01-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Jeeezz Bob,

I'm lookin forward to getting my $1800.00 stimulus package! My canteen is half-full.

since the package is currently only $600 per adult counted in the "head of" household that means you are living with two fine belles and getting away with it and convincing the IRS you should be.

Umm wait maybe .. please no ....

don't tell me it's two pards.

sbl
01-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Isn't it 1200 per couple plus 300 per child?

sbl
01-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Isn't it 1200 per couple plus 300 per child?

"...The proposed legislation would give 117 million US households a one-time income tax rebate, the Treasury Department said. The rebates would be up to 600 dollars for individual taxpayers, up to 1,200 dollars for married couples and 300 dollars per child..."
CNN

It's supposed to come in April and May.but aren't there still people on roofs in New Orleans. :(

bob 125th nysvi
01-27-2008, 09:11 PM
"...The proposed legislation would give 117 million US households a one-time income tax rebate, the Treasury Department said. The rebates would be up to 600 dollars for individual taxpayers, up to 1,200 dollars for married couples and 300 dollars per child..."
CNN

It's supposed to come in April and May.but aren't there still people on roofs in New Orleans. :(

$600 per person if the household income is less than $75k per adult, with $300 per child.

Just another government boondoogle in an effort to get votes. Let's face it unless they raise the money some other way they are going to have to borrow the whole thing because they sure aren't cutting spending to come up with the money.

What bugs me is the taxpayer falls for this stuff all the time. Maybe we are as stupid as the politicians assume we are.

sbl
01-28-2008, 06:33 AM
"...Just another government boondoogle in an effort to get votes. Let's face it unless they raise the money some other way they are going to have to borrow the whole thing because they sure aren't cutting spending to come up with the money.

What bugs me is the taxpayer falls for this stuff all the time. Maybe we are as stupid as the politicians assume we are...."

Right. They borrow it from China so we will buy Chinese goods.

amontalvo915
01-28-2008, 07:20 AM
This is just as bad as the minimum wage legislation. If you look at the pure economics of it, I bet this is why we are in the crisis we are in (besides the whole french thing, I am sure that didn't help).

Ashley M.