PDA

View Full Version : George MacDonald Fraser

sbl
01-16-2008, 09:53 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/01/04/db0401.xml

We'll never read about Flashman's adventures in the CW/WBTS.

Ross L. Lamoreaux
01-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Thats sad news indeed. The Flashman series has got to be the funniest historical series ever printed, and I too was hoping to see Sir Harry's hinted at adventures in the Civil War.

Frenchie
01-16-2008, 03:44 PM
Scott, Ross, you two jamokes break out a pad and sharpen up a mess o' No. 2 pencils, or fire up the word processor program, and start writing. I'll proofread the galleys for free.

sbl
01-17-2008, 04:39 AM
I was hoping to see Harry's adventure during the Boxer Rebellion. Perhaps he would have met with his old lover, Empress Tsu Hsi. (from Flashman and The Dragon)
He was suposed to have been at Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana too.

Milliron
01-17-2008, 06:04 AM
My running theory for years on whether we would see GMF's book on Flashman's exploits in the WBTS has been that it is already written. Fraser was asked about it constantly over the last 20 or so years and always claimed it hadn't been written yet. I find it hard to believe that after being reminded so many times, he really never did write it.

The last book, while a fantastic read, was an event in history so obscure I cannot ever remember having run across it before. That Fraser would deliberately leave out Flashman's participation in one of the most important events of the 19th century (and one in which he alludes to often and in great detail) defies reason.

My prediction: look for a posthumous release dealing with Flashman's involvement in the ACW.

sbl
01-17-2008, 06:42 AM
The Flashman on the March.

Some Freeper on another forum posted an anti-political correctness editorial that GMF had written in response to folks that didn't "get" his books.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=506219&in_page_id=1770

"....In the Nineties, a change began to take place. Reviewers and interviewers started describing Flashman (and me) as politically incorrect, which we are, though by no means in the same way.

This is fine by me. Flashman is my bread and butter, and if he wasn't an elitist, racist, sexist swine, I'd be selling bootlaces at street corners instead of being a successful popular writer.

But what I notice with amusement is that many commentators now draw attention to Flashy's (and my) political incorrectness in order to make a point of distancing themselves from it. ...."

I remembered that Flashman on the March has a foreword regarding Britain's participation in the present Iraq War.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2006/04/09/bofraser.xml

Flash man

As the notorious Victorian soldier and unrepentant cad limbers up for his latest adventure, his creator George MacDonald Fraser tells Saul David why the 19th century had the most interesting wars, and why the conflict in Iraq makes him ashamed of Britain.

'The foulest war crime that this country has ever perpetrated," declares an impassioned George MacDonald Fraser, the octogenarian author of the marvellously funny, if politically incorrect, Flashman novels. He's not referring to one of the many 19th-century campaigns in which Harry Flashman fought, but a more recent war of aggression: Iraq. "When I think of the cost and the damage that has been done, all based on lies," he adds, "it makes me very angry."

Anger is not an emotion I'd normally associate with Fraser, a former journalist who in the 1960s hit on the brilliant idea of hijacking the fictional character of Flashman from Thomas Hughes's bestselling Tom Brown's Schooldays (1857). But any mention of the Iraq war, it seems, is guaranteed to bring Fraser to boiling point. He could not resist a swipe in the foreword to his latest book, Flashman on the March, set during the Abyssinian Campaign of 1868. That was a war, he writes pointedly, that "served no politician's vanity or interest. It went without messianic rhetoric. There were no false excuses, no deceits, no cover-ups or lies, just a decent resolve to do a government's first duty: to protect its people, whatever the cost." ......."

Pretty good book too BTW!