PDA

View Full Version : Question about rain fly...

Euphemia
01-13-2008, 05:15 AM
We made the decision to buy a rain fly for our wall tent. The main reason we want it is for the reason it was intended, to help keep rain out of our tent. Our greatest horror is that our tent will leak all our things we ladies have to have. Would it be period correct to have one made extending pass the tent a few feet? We have been looking at some period photographs that seem to be designed this way, but it's hard to tell for sure.

Ross L. Lamoreaux
01-13-2008, 05:47 AM
There is a period image for almost every scenario. You will see them directly over the top of the tent (the way they were designed to do) with a flush fit, some over the top of the tent and extending over both or one end, or you can see them on their own without tentage. I do not have the regulation on size at this time, however, with contracted goods, the shrinkage rate of canvas and cotton duck, and the many variations of manufacture, I would think that sizing would vary greatly. Just look at the lowly little shelter tent half. There was one regulation size called for (67 in X 63 inches) yet, of the couple dozen halves surviving that have been examined, almost no two match due to the above reasons, so I can see that a larger sewn piece like a tent fly would vary greatly as well.

Spinster
01-13-2008, 02:40 PM
By the way--just because rain is not predicted, don't leave home without the fly.

Over the top of the tent, it can make a 10 to 15 degree difference in the inside temperature, providing much needed relief in the summer--especially if your tent is a 'two door' and you can open both ends.

A slight extension in the length will aid in channeling water away from your tent door. Be sure your fly has enough loops or grommets to enable you to tie it down securely over the tent, and prevent it from becoming a sail in high wind.

Euphemia
01-15-2008, 04:43 AM
Thank you for the input to help me make my decision on what to get!

Euphemia

50th VA Corporal
01-15-2008, 11:25 AM
I use a fly over my wall tent every time I set it up. While it requires having to use more poles, stakes, and ropes, I find it is worth the hassel. Mine extends over the sides about a foot or so and has an equal number of short post and ropes as the wall tent side posts and ropes. However, I use the same stakes for both the wall tent side pole ropes and the fly side pole ropes.

The extension on the sides is great for stowing my crates / boxes of tin ware and other gear I haul giving more living space inside the tent.

The fly channels the rain away from the tent and it does keep it much cooler inside when it is hot outside.

I do only use the wall tent two or three times year when my wife joins me, otherwise, due to ease of set up, I go to events with either a shelter half set up or an "A" tent.

Jas. T. Lemon
50th VA Corporal

plankholder
01-24-2008, 05:38 AM
A pard of mine,Tim Ruyle makes Confederate issue tent flys, handsewn, correct measurements and right weight cotton(not the incorrect heavy canvas most are made of). He brought one with him to "Calm Before the Storm" last weekend-it was first rate. I know for a fact he has one ready to ship, if you are looking for one. PM me and I will send you his contact info. Don Smith of the Trans Miss Depot, is making them as well, but they are a bit more exspensive.-ELI GEERY