PDA

View Full Version : Proper skillet

Richard Schimenti
05-14-2006, 10:08 PM
I need some help in finding a authentic style skillet or small frying pan to use when on "campaign"

I really want to avoid the types that have the Taiwan stamp. It seems that this is one item that i have had difficulty in loacating. Thanks for the help. Rich
richardscimenti2301@msn.com

dedogtent
05-14-2006, 10:23 PM
A gentleman named Frank Ellis from Tenn makes a great campaign skillet. Give me a little time to look up his address. I have it here somewhere....

jweiland
05-14-2006, 10:46 PM
Heres the link to a correct frying pan

http://www.skilletlicker.com/civilian.htm

dedogtent
05-14-2006, 11:02 PM
A gentleman named Frank Ellis from Tenn makes a great campaign skillet. Give me a little time to look up his address. I have it here somewhere....

Here ya go: Frank Ellis
RT. 1, Box 341
Greenbriar,Tn. 37073

Phone: 643-4842

I can't remember what I paid as it was years ago but alot less than $75.00.

JBW
05-15-2006, 06:45 AM
You might also want to look here;

http://www.csa-dixie.com/villagetinsmith/c.htm

9" dia. sheet steel skillet - $21.00

NJ Sekela
05-15-2006, 10:27 AM
I just spoke to Joe Hofmann and he has those skillets in stock. By point of reference, Bill McIntosh's eyes bugged out at Neshaminy when he saw one, and said that it was the best he had ever seen.

Well worth the money, and a nice side by side comparison of the original on Joe's site.

I am, &c,

NJ Sekela,
Manf'r.
N.Jers'y.

Spinster
05-15-2006, 12:57 PM
Nick,

I'll second that assement-- for several years, I've been carrying one of the prototypes Mr. Lail made as he was perfecting the reproduction.

I cannot count the number of times some earnest soldier has said "Now, Miz L, You should not have to wash all these vessels---I'll be glad to take this skillet home and wash it for you and bring it back next time I see you."

Joe needs to post a picture of hisself licking it though......

tenfed1861
05-15-2006, 12:59 PM
Also,David Jarnagin has a good copy of a frying pan made from staped iron.It it a copy of one in EOG:CSA iI believe.I don't know which page since I don't have the book in front of me.It is a really nice frying pan.Here is the link:http://www.jarnaginco.com/confedcatframe.html
Just go 3/4 of the way down the page.If it is just a mainpage,then it should be under cookware.
Also,Chris Utley has some good civie frying pans.I believe he sells retail for Mr. Sekela.They are really nice too.They have more of a locally made look to them,while Jarnagin look almost mass produce,which would be period correct since the country was at the start of the Industrial Revolution.If you want a frying pan that looks like it was made by your "local blacksmith",I suggest Hr. Utley:http://www.carterandjasper.com/tinware.html .
Hope this helps some.
Cullen Smith

jweiland77
05-15-2006, 06:08 PM
All i can say is Joe is a great guy to deal with and the skillet is amazing!!! I have had mine since he started carrying them. If you order one and its in stock there is barely any wait at all which is a huge plus!!!!
Later john

HighPrvt
05-15-2006, 06:29 PM
Ya know I expect to pay for quality, and have spent some serious cash for many items myself. However sometimes ya gotta just go " Hmmmmph" and figure somebodies just loading up the greenbacks.

$75 for a frying pan, get real

Let the flames begin.

tenfed1861
05-15-2006, 07:04 PM
Sir,since the price is too high,then please go with Chris Utley.Basiclly the same thing,only $45 less expensive.
Cullen Smith

jweiland77
05-15-2006, 07:41 PM
Hey to each there own sometimes 70 is hard to swing when your on a budget i understand. Heres one thats on sale $30 plus 10% thru AC http://www.carterandjasper.com/tinware.html

Also check out the "Muslin civilian or issue style shirt"
http://www.carterandjasper.com/mens.html
Made by Nick Sekela 3 Pards that are Campaigner thought this was Domet Flannel!!! Im my opinion this shirt is a bargain I would love to hear what people think about this shirt that are on a budget. Also Chris Utley is another great vendor to deal with.

Later John

HighPrvt
05-15-2006, 07:59 PM
Hey to each there own sometimes 70 is hard to swing when your on a budget i understand. Heres one thats on sale $30 plus 10% thru AC http://www.carterandjasper.com/tinware.html

Also check out the "Muslin civilian or issue style shirt"
http://www.carterandjasper.com/mens.html
Made by Nick Sekela 3 Pards that are Campaigner thought this was Domet Flannel!!! Im my opinion this shirt is a bargain I would love to hear what people think about this shirt that are on a budget. Also Chris Utley is another great vendor to deal with.

Later John

You obviously didn't get my point.
It's not about not having the money.

OK I'll elaboraite.
Would you spend $180 on a jacket if the same item was availible for 1/3 or $60? of course a quality jacket can't be had for $60, and fact is $180 is cheap for a QUALITY jacket, I've spent more for every jacket that I own.

We're talking about a frying pan, that can be had for 1/3 the price, for apparently the same item.
I guess some don't mind. After all they can strut around saying " I got this from ..........."

BTW, I'm not the guy looking for the frying pan, I don't even want a frying pan, it's just the point. Sometimes ya gotta say "What the heck"

Yes I've purchased items from Chris, he's a great guy, not trying to make his house payment from every sale!!!

jweiland77
05-15-2006, 09:00 PM
I just chimed in because you said let the flaming being. I don't really care what people buy and I find it hard to tell what a fair price for and item may cost since i don't make any items. But I think you are actually contradicting yourself. On one hand your saying a quality sack coat cant be had for $60 and on the other hand your saying a frying pans a frying pan. Without a side by side comparison I don't we can make a accurate judgment. Also Chris is selling the Frying pans for $30 which is the cheapest price so far. But as far as quality I couldn't tell you how it compares to one on skilletlicker only that Joes had 2 people that have given it a great recommendation

HighPrvt
05-15-2006, 09:11 PM
Unless I'm mistaken it's the same frying pan!!!!!

My point about the jacket was that I wasn't being a cheapskate.

Nevermind..........

JerseySkilletLicker
05-17-2006, 02:06 PM
Mr. Davis:
1) It is not the same frying pan, not even close.
2) I do not appreciate being called a rip off simply because you feel you have an "inside" knowledge on the worth of goods and the craftsmanship that goes into them.
3) If I was reaping the huge profits off these frying pans that you accuse me of making I would most definately discontinue all other stock and become "Frying Pans R Us".

TimKindred
05-17-2006, 04:45 PM
Fellers,

I have to second what Joe is saying. They are not the same item.

It is usually obvious, to the most casual of observers, which individuals choose price as their guiding factor when developing an impression.

Joe may be on the high end price-wise, but everything he sells is made according to research, both in materials and construction. Purchasing from him means never having to own an incorrect item.

Yeah, there are sutlers who will sell cheaper items, but cheap is an indicator of quality, not price, and in the long run, you will always pay twice or thrice when the wallet rules. Patience, in this regard, is indeed a virtue, and in the end, you'll find that it would have been less expensive to purchase the correct item in the first place.

Carter and Jasper have some really good items, and I have nothing but good things to say about them, but comparing Joe and Chris is like comparing apples and oranges.

Respects to all,

chase196126
05-17-2006, 05:15 PM
Personally do not mind paying the higher fees for goods from quality vendors. I know not only am i getting a great product that will really help my impression, but that I am supporting the people who help make my impression better.
I agree totally with Mr. Kindred, it may take a little while longer to save for quality items but over all you will save money and be more pleased with the goods. I saved for over 4 months to buy one of Mr. Sekelas enlisted frock coats and I could not be happier with it!

Chase

Ken
05-17-2006, 07:31 PM
Fellers,

I have to second what Joe is saying. They are not the same item.

It is usually obvious, to the most casual of observers, which individuals choose price as their guiding factor when developing an impression.

Joe may be on the high end price-wise, but everything he sells is made according to research, both in materials and construction. Purchasing from him means never having to own an incorrect item.

Yeah, there are sutlers who will sell cheaper items, but cheap is an indicator of quality, not price, and in the long run, you will always pay twice or thrice when the wallet rules. Patience, in this regard, is indeed a virtue, and in the end, you'll find that it would have been less expensive to purchase the correct item in the first place.

Carter and Jasper have some really good items, and I have nothing but good things to say about them, but comparing Joe and Chris is like comparing apples and oranges.

Respects to all,
Tim,

I agree with you 100%. Everything on Joe's site is based on impeccable research and is definitely worth the money. Joe is a pleasure to deal with and his customer focus is second to no one. You also have to take your hat off to Nick Sekela who has been going above and beyond in finding new items to reproduce for us over the years. The forage cap ventilator is a perfect example. Based on an original, accurately reproduced; this is an item I've wanted to see for a long time. It's certainly no surprise to me that Nick is the one to introduce this item which is seen on a fair number of surviving forage caps.

Ken Raia

VaTrooper
05-17-2006, 11:51 PM
Carter & Jasper is a top notch vendor and offer great wares at killer prices. The original poster wanted to know where he could get a quality frying pan. Two great vendors were named, I dont know about the other guy, but to say Chris's isnt as good is bull!

frankstevanus
05-18-2006, 07:59 AM
Get 'em Wildman! I too have bought stuff from Chris Utley and am very pleased with what I got and his personal service.
However, I have dealt with Joe Hoffman also and found that you can't find more authentic or better quality stuff than from him, either. Bottom line is, I wouldn't let money be your sole guide here. Both these guys sell great stuff at fair prices. If it costs more at one place that is because it costs them more to get it or make it. But, I think you are going to get what you paid for from either place.
My two cents
Frank Stevanus

jweiland77
05-18-2006, 09:44 AM
I dont think anybody on here said that Chris isnt selling quality items at all. I posted both links for chris and for joe so I should know. The Fuming started over the price of the skillets and the quality of them. Unless we make the products ourselves or studied two products side by side we have no way of saying that one is better because its cheaper. The best thing to do is research the vendors or even call them to find out the difference. But what I found out is that most quality vendors arent living in a castle and being cast for "Crips" or "Life Styles of the Rich and Famous". They are just trying to make ends meet like the rest of us. We need to stop buying junk from Pakistan and try and support them or we can kiss them all goodbye.
Thanks john

VaTrooper
05-18-2006, 10:58 AM
I just do think Joes is any better than Chris's. So I'd much rather have 2 of Chris's than one of Joe's.

Ohioreb1861
12-21-2006, 10:27 PM
Unless I'm mistaken it's the same frying pan!!!!!

My point about the jacket was that I wasn't being a cheapskate.

Nevermind..........

it isn't the same pan, Carter and jasper has different skillets than skillet lickers. Both Chris and Joe have some very nice stuff. Anyone have any original pictures of skillets??

Ohioreb1861
12-21-2006, 10:38 PM
sorry, I forgot to add, i'm looking for pictures of handles.

Memphis
12-21-2006, 11:12 PM
As a blacksmith, wouldn't you be intimately familiar with handle stock?

This is not commonly found on repros, but is very commonly found on originals.

Jim Mayo
12-21-2006, 11:13 PM

One here about half way down the page.

http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/tools/tools.html

Ohioreb1861
12-21-2006, 11:35 PM
As a blacksmith, wouldn't you be intimately familiar with handle stock?

This is not commonly found on repros, but is very commonly found on originals.

I am, but I have found 3 different types of handles and wanted to know what was most common or correct.

Jim,

Thanks for the link, was very helpful.

Rob Weaver
12-22-2006, 08:31 AM
Unless I missed it on the second page, which I didn't read, there is another option. Antique kitchen utensils are not hard to come by at all. Take a drive in the country and stop at some shops. I have 2 stamped iron skillets, one small enough to put in a haversack and the other small enough to slide between the bags of a pack. Both are original to the period and solid as the day they were made. I paid $4 for each of them (not including tax). And they each have a magnificent seasoning! Things like bottles and cooking utensils (sp?) are so common that with a little research, you should be able to find what you're looking for with little expense and have the great feeling of having discovered a real treasure.

vmescher
12-22-2006, 11:26 AM
Unless I missed it on the second page, which I didn't read, there is another option. Antique kitchen utensils are not hard to come by at all. Take a drive in the country and stop at some shops. I have 2 stamped iron skillets, one small enough to put in a haversack and the other small enough to slide between the bags of a pack. Both are original to the period and solid as the day they were made. I paid $4 for each of them (not including tax). And they each have a magnificent seasoning! Things like bottles and cooking utensils (sp?) are so common that with a little research, you should be able to find what you're looking for with little expense and have the great feeling of having discovered a real treasure.

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but in the Spring 2005 issue of _The Watchdog_, there is an article on the types of handles for frying pans. There are period images and illustrations of correct frying pans and handles as well as incorrect handles.

Also, in the Fall 2004 issue of _The Watchdog_ there was a recommendation for a small frying pan that is period correct. My husband has one and has been very pleased with it and it is almost identical to originals that we have seen.

Ohioreb1861
12-22-2006, 12:03 PM
Rob,

I have been down many roads and all I have found are cast iron skillets galore, and they few pressed skillets I have found were stainless or Alum.

Since I have a shop I have started pressing my own :D

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q143/scottsville_guard/DSC02472.jpg

Rob Weaver
12-22-2006, 07:46 PM
That's very nice! Virtually identical to my smaller pan. I don't know. It might be the region where I live; I honestly think I could come up with a half dozen of them in an afternoon and still be home for dinner.
It's interesting that Griswold began casting a frying pan in 1865, but after the war ended! To bad, Griswold's being hotly collected.

John1862
12-22-2006, 09:12 PM
The handle on this one is just a piece of iron with an about 1/2" hole punched through it, the base of the handle being crudely rivited onto the pan.

Ken
12-23-2006, 02:35 PM
I have a nice one but I'm not sure who made it. Nice size I can slide betweenthe knapsack straps.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/4715/pande2.jpg

csuppelsa
12-23-2006, 04:16 PM
If you check out that sketch in Billings, the fry pan seems to be larger than all of these reproductions.

Ken
12-23-2006, 05:24 PM
If you check out that sketch in Billings, the fry pan seems to be larger than all of these reproductions.
Chris,

I would suspect you could get a frying pan in varying sizes depending upon what you were looking for.

Memphis
12-23-2006, 06:11 PM

I agree, and assume it could be difficult to cook bacon for a mess of four or five comrades in a pan more appropriately sized for a single henfruit. The handles are mighty short for open flame cooking, too.

Jim Mayo
12-23-2006, 07:27 PM
A spider is only a frying pan with legs. This one is ID to a cav soldier named Lumsford who was in the 9th Va. Cav. It is about 7 inches in diameter.

rebel yell
12-23-2006, 07:39 PM

My handle is a green limb off a bush or tree, with the end of it split to slide onto the canteen half.:p Less is More.

Rob Weaver
12-27-2006, 09:21 PM
Small sheet iron skillets were hot commodities in gold camps out west, too, and a common item for guide books to recommend. Then, like now, skillets came in more than one size.

Memphis
12-31-2006, 09:14 PM
I thought this would add to the practicality of owning a skillet. In some circles, a skillet and a frying pan are considered two different implements:

RECEIPTS FOR THE FRYING PAN - Those who are fortunate enough to possess a frying pan will find the following receipts very useful: Cut in small dice half a pound of solid meat, keeping the bones for soup; put your pan, which should he quite clean, on the fire; when hot through, add an ounce of fat, melt it and put in the meat, season with half a teaspoonful of salt; fry for ten minutes stirring now and then; add a teaspoonful of flour, mix all well, put in half a pint of water, let simmer for fifteen minutes, pour over a biscuit previously soaked, and serve. The addition of a little pepper and sugar, if handy, is an improvement, as is also a pinch of cayenne, curry-powder or spice; sauces and pickles used in small quantities would be very relishing; these are articles which will keep for any length of time. As fresh meat is not easily obtained, any of the cold salt meat may be dressed as above, omitting the salt, and only requires warming; Or, for a change, boil the meat plainly, or with greens, or cabbage, or dumplings, as for beef; then the next day cut what is left in small dice-- say-- four ounces; put in a pan an ounce of fat; when very hot pour in the following :--Mix in a basin a tablespoonful of flour, moisten with water to form the consistency of thick melted butter, then pour it in the pan, letting it remain for one or two minutes, or until set; put in the meat, shake the pan to loosen it, turn it o-er, let it remain a few minutes longer; and serve. To cook bacon, chops, steaks, slices of any kind of meat, salt or fresh sausages, black puddings, &c,: Make the pan very hot, having wiped it clean, add in fat dripping, butter, or oil, about an ounce of either; put in the meat, turn three or four times and season with salt and pepper. A few minutes will do it. If the meat is salt, it must be well soaked previously.

Soyer is often quoted in American CW publications, if you enjoyed the above quote, then you may enjoy the information on this website:

http://www.royalengineers.ca/recipes.html

pvt_jb
01-03-2007, 12:53 PM
I found a canteen half skillet with a iron handle from Blockade Runner. They say it is a copy from an original. I thought this might be another good option beside the traditional skillet. Any opinions?

http://www.blockaderunner.com/Catalog/catpg26.htm

Jeremy Bevard

Ohioreb1861
01-23-2007, 07:47 PM
A spider is only a frying pan with legs. This one is ID to a cav soldier named Lumsford who was in the 9th Va. Cav. It is about 7 inches in diameter.

I hate to rekindle old posts, but I looked at Jim Mayos post with the spider skillet and I had to make one. this one look ok?

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q143/scottsville_guard/skillets.jpg

terry sorchy
01-23-2007, 10:08 PM
Yup, good pans and spider.:D
Terry Sorchy

Micah Trent
01-23-2007, 11:26 PM
Look great!!!:p