PDA

View Full Version : I have a "Why?" of my own...

Frenchie
01-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Why do people show great interest in an item for sale and then disappear, or worse, agree to buy it and then vanish? For Pete's sake, I want to sell things that reenactors can use for a decent price and not have eBay or GunBroker take their pound of flesh off it, but the "you win the auction, you buy the item" agreement on the auction sites does save a lot of aggravation.

Lately, multiple dibs have been called on my canteen, poncho, mess pan*, lots of interest in my revolvers et cetera, and the only thing that got sold fast with no problems went to someone I was told to be careful dealing with! Turned out to be one of the smoothest, most pleasant transactions I've had in a while!

*"I'll buy it" three times now... and it's still here.

flattop32355
01-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Gotta be that dishonest face on your avatar. It just reeks of snake oil salesman. ;)

Second thoughts, wife says "No!" when she finds out you bought it, unexpected bill shows up, being a jerk, etc.

If you ever figure it out, let me know. We'll go on the lecture circuit and make a fortune together...

Frenchie
01-08-2008, 01:11 AM
If you ever figure it out, let me know. We'll go on the lecture circuit and make a fortune together...

"We," Bernie? You got a mouse in your pocket? :D

MBond057
01-08-2008, 01:28 AM
Frenchie,

Donít feel bad. I sent out about 75 emails with additional photos of my Mountain Howitzer set for sale. 5 different people made arrangements by phone to schedule for a showing. Not a one showed.

I even had a guy send me $10,000 to my Pay-Pal account out of the blue and without first talking with me. He then sent me an email telling me he wasnít going to pay another dime more for the MH set. He really thought I was going to sell and then release the MH set to him. After refunding his money, minus the Pay-Pal fees, he finally gets that he canít dictate terms of my sale.

I was thinking of keeping this knuckleheads money as a donation to my battery, but then I donít look good in a pink and white inmate jump suit compliments of Sheriff Joe Arpaio Maricopa County Sheriff's Office in Phoenix, AZ. :)

Reliccrazy
01-08-2008, 06:55 AM
I've sold huge amounts of items on this forum over the past few years. Most of the time, 80-90% about, I'll have one or two people ask for an item and presto, it's sold, but that other 10-20% I'll have 3-5 people ask about an item and not get back to me, but they'll seem very serious too.
I've even had a fellow say he could ONLY pay with Paypal, bit of a red flag. Another was a scammer that sent a really bad fake check that had $5000 on it and wanted to send me the change, for a $60 kepi! I've even have people ask me if I still have an item, even after 1 year of it being sold!! So, yup, there out there, they get your hopes up, then smash them! But it's the right person for the right item I always say.

Tarheel57
01-17-2008, 06:40 AM
I think that if people have a legitimate reason for not completing a sale, all they have to do is contact the seller and say "Hey, I'm sorry, but XYZ happened...." This would be the polite thing to do.
I've had the opposite a couple of times: I've PM'ed people on a couple of items I wanted to buy and never received a response, but I just blow it off and figure it was sold, or they were out of town, etc.
I concur with your feelings about ebay. I would prefer not to use it, but when you are selling a number of items it's convenient.

Claude Sinclair
01-17-2008, 07:00 AM
I have purchased used goods from members of the AC board and either I pay that day with Pay Pal or send a check within 24 items. I have sold several thousand items on Ebay and I have never had a person to back out. On this forum I have had several to say they wanted something and I never hear from them again. But that is life. I usually sell it later.

rcsob657
01-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Frenchie,

Don’t feel bad. I sent out about 75 emails with additional photos of my Mountain Howitzer set for sale. 5 different people made arrangements by phone to schedule for a showing. Not a one showed.

I even had a guy send me $10,000 to my Pay-Pal account out of the blue and without first talking with me. He then sent me an email telling me he wasn’t going to pay another dime more for the MH set. He really thought I was going to sell and then release the MH set to him. After refunding his money, minus the Pay-Pal fees, he finally gets that he can’t dictate terms of my sale.

I was thinking of keeping this knuckleheads money as a donation to my battery, but then I don’t look good in a pink and white inmate jump suit compliments of Sheriff Joe Arpaio Maricopa County Sheriff's Office in Phoenix, AZ. :)

careful some jackrabbit east european stole my paypal account and tried to pull that with some expensive cell phone. Used my account to send $400 demanding that person send the phone to him in ukraine. Took me a while but I finally got it all back.

Frenchie, don't take this the wrong way but I got a 'take it or leave it arsewhipe' feeling reading some of your for sale posts. I am 100% sure you don't mean it to look that way, but many people are used to salesmen being the one 'wanting' to sale something not just that sale being another annoyance. :)

Pvt Peck
01-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Frenchie, don't take this the wrong way but I got a 'take it or leave it arsewhipe' feeling reading some of your for sale posts. I am 100% sure you don't mean it to look that way, but many people are used to salesmen being the one 'wanting' to sale something not just that sale being another annoyance. :)

Kinda what I was thinking too....

Ted Parrott

Frenchie
01-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Frenchie, don't take this the wrong way but I got a 'take it or leave it arsewipe' feeling reading some of your for sale posts. I am 100% sure you don't mean it to look that way, but many people are used to salesmen being the one 'wanting' to sale something not just that sale being another annoyance. :)
Heh. I'm too honest to take it the wrong way. It's not quite that bad, but you're more right than wrong. Let me try to explain: For example, I'll put something on eBay or GunBroker and check the "Seller pays shipping" box, which causes the auction page to say, "Shipping: Seller pays shipping." And two times out of three, the idiot who wins the auction will ask me how much I want for shipping. It's this sort of thing that drives me nuts. I'm not thinking, "take it or leave it, arsewipe", I'm thinking, "Oh, God, another chance for some room-temperature-IQ twit to send me a grammatically-challenged email with his own name and address un-capitalized and making it obvious he hasn't read the stinking auction page beyond the first paragraph in the description." I'm not angry, I'm cringing.

See? It's a defense mechanism. I don't know how many times I've started the answer to a question with, "Well, Joe Blow, as it says right there on the auction page..." Want to really spin me up? Ask me something really dumbass that's answered on the page while misspelling every third word and showing a complete ignorance of the rules of grammar, then ask me the same thing twice more. The fourth time you ask, send it from a different email address and complain that I never answered you the first three times you asked. When I ask you why you didn't read the three answers I sent to your other email address, tell me you don't know what I'm talking about, you only have one address. This has actually happened to me.

So, let me apologize in general if I come across as caustic in my ads. It isn't personal, it's just me.

Frenchie
01-24-2008, 12:54 AM
It's already begun... I've just received a PM asking about the linen shirt that Greg Renault called dibs on. The sender (who shall remain anonymous) paid absolutely no attention to three things:
1. I specifically asked not to be contacted through PMs,
2. I said that if I didn't mention a maker it's because I don't know who made it, and
3. Greg has it spoken for unless he gives it up.

That's why I have an attitude about selling online.

bob 125th nysvi
01-26-2008, 10:23 PM
sometime Frenchie and you'll realize you've got it good with the troubles you are having.

lt83
01-30-2008, 10:29 AM
sometime Frenchie and you'll realize you've got it good with the troubles you are having.

Is this what you are talking about Frenchie?
If only he was buying something from you it would be perfect.

Frenchie
01-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Is this what you are talking about Frenchie?
If only he was buying something from you it would be perfect.

What are you talking about?

lt83
01-30-2008, 12:30 PM
Sorry,

I was just poking at some fun. I forget how seriously everyone takes everything on here.

Frenchie
01-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Right. :p Check the "Serious Questions" thread and most of the Whine Cellar and tell us again how everyone takes everything so seriously here. I wasn't ticked off, I just couldn't figure out what you meant. I still can't.

Frank
02-01-2008, 02:33 PM
It is just me or why don't sellers answer e-mails or PMs? I have been very interested in some items, have sent PM, and e-mails but the person who put the things up for sale does not get back with me. :( I have been left hanging with out hearing one word from the seller. Have other interested buyers had this problem?

~ Tiffany

civilwarman1
02-04-2008, 05:35 PM
If you dont hear anything in a few days, it's usually sold.