PDA

View Full Version : Anybody get anything good for xmas?

6thkentucky
12-26-2007, 03:47 PM
I got a new officers sword. I also got a very nice haversac that my wife made out of carpetbag material. I really liked it, thanks honey. What did y'all get?

ILYankee5
12-26-2007, 04:01 PM
I had a good Christmas!! I got an Illinois State Jacket, a Commutation Jacket, a pair of knit socks, 2 cravats, and a pair smoothside brogans. So, I had a great one!! I hope everyone else had a wonderful one as well.

Seth Graves

MBond057
12-26-2007, 04:14 PM
My wife bought me a defarbed 1861 Springfield and defarbed bayonet from John Zimmerman in Harpers Ferry, WV along with A Duval Leather Federal Issue .58 Caliber Accoutrements Set.

Not bad for an artillerymen who only pouted once or twice all year. :)

Rob Weaver
12-27-2007, 01:02 AM
Hand-stitched hunting shirt, lovingly made by my wife. (Oops - wrong time period.)

redleggeddevil
12-27-2007, 02:33 AM
Preparing for the living history event at Westville, Georgia this coming October, I got some items for my civilian persona. I am going to be a tavernkeeper, and so I got a recipe book of 19th century cocktails, an antique, horn-handled pocket knife and a priming horn for my fowler.

Not a bad haul, considering that my family is hopeless at choosing period-appropriate gifts!

tompritchett
12-27-2007, 03:00 AM
Remember the discussion several months ago about a Civil War version of the Stratego game. Well my wife bought me one for Christmas. I have not played it yet but the President of the our unit was also a big Stratego fan as a kid, I figure that the two of us will square off soon. According to him, as a kid, he was nearly unbeatable, as was I.

I also received two Civil War related books, one on slavery and the other on the Southern sense of invincibility.

flattop32355
12-27-2007, 07:06 AM
A gun rack for my Springfields and Enfields, as well as the book on Union cartridge boxes.

Claude Sinclair
12-27-2007, 12:41 PM
I got an 1860 English made size 16 Hunters Case keywind pocket watch.

Doug Cooper
12-27-2007, 02:05 PM
My wife bought me a defarbed 1861 Springfield and defarbed bayonet from John Zimmerman in Harpers Ferry, WV along with A Duval Leather Federal Issue .58 Caliber Accoutrements Set.

Not bad for an artillerymen who only pouted once or twice all year. :)

Dang Mark - here's a virtual high five on the gifts...and your choice of brides!!

I got a very nice dress shirt, great tie and completely unexpected, Ken Burns "The War" DVD set.

MBond057
12-27-2007, 04:29 PM
Doug,

I have been married 20 years. I think she’s a keeper. :)

My wife thinks my hobbies are strange but as she puts it “there are worst things you could do”.

My wife has put up with a lot from me and my CW hobby. I have a 12 Pdr Mountain Howitzer, Prairie Limber, and full scale 12 Pdr Coehorn Mortar that take up part of the garage as well as numerous Civil War era firearms and closest full of CW uniforms.

I’m just afraid to tell her that I want a mule to pull my Mountain Howitzer. My Birthday is right around the corner. :)

8th TexCav
12-27-2007, 11:28 PM
Doug,

I have been married 20 years. I think she’s a keeper. :)

I’m just afraid to tell her that I want a mule to pull my Mountain Howitzer. My Birthday is right around the corner. :)

Mark,

Be careful how you say it! One of the guys in my cavalry unit has a great riding mule that I have admired for years. When I told my wife that I might get one to replace my horse when it was time for him to retire I told her that I wanted some new A**! :shock:

Besides books, my other CW presents were a new Hat from Clearwater and a great vest that I got off the AC board from Doug. Thanks Doug, fits and looks great!

Charles Reynolds
12-28-2007, 12:20 AM
Hard to top last years gift, my Euro Arms 1861 Springfield. It's what got me started in reenacting, just wish I had recieved it when I was younger. This year 2 extra cylinders for my New Army. Wife is very good about taking care of my wants. The Springfield was a BIG SURPRISE.
Chuck

MBond057
12-28-2007, 01:16 AM
Barry,

Thanks for the laugh. I will be careful how I word my never ending request for more toys.

TexConfederate
12-28-2007, 02:58 AM
Mark,

Be careful how you say it! One of the guys in my cavalry unit has a great riding mule that I have admired for years. When I told my wife that I might get one to replace my horse when it was time for him to retire I told her that I wanted some new A**! :shock:

Besides books, my other CW presents were a new Hat from Clearwater and a great vest that I got off the AC board from Doug. Thanks Doug, fits and looks great!

Barry,

I hope you like the hat. I got one for my birthday in October, and I love it!

TexConfederate
12-28-2007, 03:00 AM
My wife gave me a new "A" Frame tent, (7X9X9), and some new utensils.....
My Uncle gave me a Stainless-Steel Canteen, and I don't know what I can do with that, except try to darken the metal.......

Frank
12-28-2007, 04:35 AM
My future brother-in-law got my whole family a faster Internet connection! (We had dial up.) Now I can read more of the posts and not tie up the phone line.
I hope to buy a vest, set of leathers, and brogons with the money I received.

~ Tiffany

"Put your trust in God, and keep your powder dry."

RWelker
12-28-2007, 05:17 AM
I got a copy of the memoirs of a teenaged confederate soldier- David Johnston. ('A fix' my best friend calls it, while I'm on the wrong continent for this sort of thing.)
It's a really good book, and nice and long so it'll keep me occupied for quite a while!

MtVernon
12-28-2007, 05:29 AM
My wife thinks my hobbies are strange but as she puts it “there are worst things you could do”.

We may be married to the same woman!

I claim that my wife gave me a Tim Bender telescoping crown black hat (for hopeful Western campaigner impressions), although she claims that because I selected it, ordered it, and opened it before it was wrapped and about a month before Christmas to break it in a little, it is disqualified as a Christmas gift. Go figure!

And, because since taking up this hobby I've become very easy to shop for, I got a few books and DVDs (never heard of the Ambrose Bierce one starring Campbell Scott).

All in all, I guess I wasn't so naughty after all!

MBond057
12-28-2007, 05:43 AM
J.C.,

To be honest I should have gotten a lump of coal in my stocking. :) I spent a lot of money on my kit this past year.

My wife is extremely supportive and enjoys the pleasure I get from my history hobby.

As I always say “When Mommy is happy, the whole family is happy”. :)

reb64
12-28-2007, 07:05 AM
I got a plane ticket home from puerto rico /st. croix growing cotton in the sun all the way to kansas to fix storm damage but also found a carbine trigger bow for my trapdoor, a t-6 stock and mag for my sks-a new stock for my mossberg 12g- a concealed holster for my springfield xd and some cpt. morgan private stock. civ war stuff doesn't wait till christmas. i sneak that in under the radar

Slickrick214
12-28-2007, 07:05 PM
I got a new camp chair....;) :p

5 th Alabama Infantry
12-29-2007, 12:07 AM
An SCV Army of Tennessee Battle Flag

Rob Weaver
12-29-2007, 01:04 AM
Preparing for the living history event at Westville, Georgia this coming October, I got some items for my civilian persona. I am going to be a tavernkeeper, and so I got a recipe book of 19th century cocktails, an antique, horn-handled pocket knife and a priming horn for my fowler.

Not a bad haul, considering that my family is hopeless at choosing period-appropriate gifts!
And a new pair of shoes, but I bought those for myself! Any period equivalent to the "Muddy Hoofprint?"

madisontigers
12-29-2007, 04:05 AM
Yes, what a wonderful Christmas. I received, from my mother,a Rick Reeves print( Pickett's Mill),and a couple of wonderful books. From my girlfriend.... several items to finish out my WWII impression, as well as a DVD player, two Forces of VALOR die-cast tanks, and a new Federal fatigue blouse.From my sister, a wonderful book on Robert Toombs and Alexander S.

David Long

Parault
12-29-2007, 10:13 AM
[ i sneak that in under the radar[/quote]

I,for the most part, also sneak items under the piercing eyes of the spouse. I face this as a challenge to see how many toys I can aquire before I get caught. I do receive items from my wife but, this year I was presented my very own laptop,so I can spend more time on all of the esteemed CW forums.

wagen dawg
12-29-2007, 01:29 PM
Originals of Fox's "Numbers and Losses" and Humphrey's "Days and Events". There is only one more original I need to die a happy man. I have a copy of it but the orig would make my day.

Tim

Slickrick214
12-29-2007, 04:05 PM
My wife gave me a new "A" Frame tent, (7X9X9), and some new utensils.....
My Uncle gave me a Stainless-Steel Canteen, and I don't know what I can do with that, except try to darken the metal.......

Or you could make a cover for it. This link from Regimental gives step by step on how to make a canteen cover.

https://www.regtqm.com/how_to/Canteen%20Recovering%20Kit.pdf

jthlmnn
12-31-2007, 12:37 AM
A very special lady gave me two books: Walt Whitman's "Memoranda During the War" (Peter Coviello, ed., Oxford University Press, 2004) and "God Rest Ye Merry Soldiers: A true Civil War Christmas story" (James McIvor, Viking, 2005).

biggumbo
12-31-2007, 05:23 AM
A very nice RDII in English kersey from Richmond Depot (from the parentals) and a slew of books, including Kent Masterson Browns 'Retreat from Gettysburg' -- I missed the meeting when he spoke at our roundtable about 3 months ago as I was out of town, and was bummed, but am looking forward to reading that one soon. I also finally got to tramp around Chancellorsville, the Wilderness, and Spotsylvania Courthouse during the break, which was a gift in itself.

reb4lee
12-31-2007, 06:56 AM
I got a great Dirty Billy kepi, a new Double bag knapsack, and a few books.

5 th Alabama Infantry
12-31-2007, 09:47 AM
A very nice RDII in English kersey from Richmond Depot (from the parentals) and a slew of books, including Kent Masterson Browns 'Retreat from Gettysburg' -- I missed the meeting when he spoke at our roundtable about 3 months ago as I was out of town, and was bummed, but am looking forward to reading that one soon. I also finally got to tramp around Chancellorsville, the Wilderness, and Spotsylvania Courthouse during the break, which was a gift in itself.

I really enjoyed the photos of your unit on the web site.

Happy New Year

Elliott Cummings
Adjutant
Col. Harry W. Gilmor Camp SCV #1388

5 th Alabama Infantry
12-31-2007, 09:48 AM
I got a great Dirty Billy kepi, a new Double bag knapsack, and a few books.

Dirty Billy has nice things.

Mojo1842
12-31-2007, 11:00 AM
I got my GG-Grandfather's records from the 5th Ky (CS) and two pictures of him that I didn't have before.

MBond057
12-31-2007, 11:35 AM
Scott,

Now that’s an awesome gift. Congratulations!

Poor Private
01-01-2008, 02:28 AM
I received 2 books-Civil war small arms, and Civil war battles of the western theater and a couple of tins of period soap the wife made(wife must think I am dirty).
And I also cheated bought myself a pistol for shooting live a Rogers & Spenser .44. I couldn't refuse it cause of the price $140.00 new. Dixie lists it for $325

John Legg
01-01-2008, 06:55 AM
Federal Contact shirt from Dan Wambaugh and Brian white. Plus some sweet Material.

John

lucky_you_0412
03-04-2008, 09:37 PM
That's just one of the many small things I've done for you. You're welcome.